Sudden potty accidents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds has been 100% potty learned since January of this year, he only had a couple accidents after he potty trained.

Well last weekend and again today he had an accident! I don't know why. He always tells me right away that he peed in his underwear and is very upset by it. He wasn't engrossed in something else at the time, he has unlimited access to the bathroom...he has lots of liquids but hasn't been asking to go potty more often than 'normal'

I didn't make a big deal out of it either time, I reassured him that it was okay, everyone has accidents...he was pretty upset by it both times, but not to the point of crying or anything...just a little sad.

It's not really a big deal that he's had the accidents, it's not a huge deal...but I do worry about WHY he's all the sudden having potty accidents

Any advice?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-21-2008, 12:45 AM

I think accidents occasionally occur when kids are growing very fast. Since she trained, about a year ago, there are times when our DD unexpectedly has several accidents over a few days, and then she adjusts and goes back to her normal potty trained behavior. I actually wonder if the sensations that warn her that she really needs to go are changing, or her muscles are not catching up perfectly with more capacity in her bladder or something like that because it matches up so closely every time. She'll start sleeping constantly, eating like a horse, and being ever so slightly short tempered (yeah, right, just a tiny bit...) and often those times she'll also have an accident, or, usually now she just will leak a tiny amount and then stop herself before she has a full accident and ask to go to the potty.

Especially if it's upsetting him, I think the only thing you need to do is clean up and reassure him just like you've been doing and he'll be fine. I think its a normal process of 3 steps forward,1 step back, yk?

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#3 of 3 Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 AM

I would rule out physical causes first, UTI, etc. Also has he started drinking anything recently that acts as a diuretic, such as caffinated sodas, or grapefruit juice.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page