It's October, November '05 Mamas (Our babes are almost 3!!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to October, y'all!! I know some of our original members had babies who are turning three this month! Isn't it weird to think that (for *almost* all of us) we can now say, "My daughter/son will be three next month!" :

Where did the time go?!! :

So do we still have toddlers? It almost seems like we're at an in-between stage: Not quite toddlers anymore, but not exactly big kids yet.

Here's the September thread, BTW.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 AM

just want to make sure that i am here with you all this month. i certainly miss you all. i am still reading through sept to catch up.

amy and HT- so glad to hear that you all are preggo, together, again! how exciting!!!

kavita- i swear we have the same travel bug. we're thinking costa rica next spring or maybe earlier. and, we'd love to do bali, again in late summer/early fall. i want to do birth work all over the world!

i love doula stuff these days and have had 3 clients so far. waiting on one MDC mama right now and my best friend (also a mdc mama) is due in a couple of weeks. then, 3 more through the end of the year.

we have a little home/unschool co-op that we've been doing since around may or june. it's a great group of families that i love doing life with.

ez has had a tough few months, mainly adjusting to a new babe around. it's hard for her not to be held/nursed/carried in a sling as often as her baby sister gets to be. we try hard with her though. last night, as i was lying with her to sleep, i just cried at how precious she is. completely my dream come true to have her and it's hard to see her sad.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Winter's birthday isn't until December so I can still fool myself into thinking he's not almost 3 yet. Come November I will be panicking though.
#4 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Just subbing- have not been able to keep up (with anything!) lately!

I also can't believe it that Ezra will be 3 next month- I keep trying to convince myself that it's true, but it doesn't seem possible.
#5 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Happy October everyone! Oddly enough I *don't* have any trouble believing my child will be 3 next month... she acts sometimes like she's 3 going on 13, and her best friend is 7. It's not like she doesn't get to hang out with kids her age, she just likes older ones better. The other day I had an errand to run after her nap, and I tried to pitch it all fun and stuff so she'd be eager to go, and she said "No thanks. I'm just going to stay here and feed Daisy." (She was attempting to feed pea pods to the dog, without much success.) So she ended up going swimming with her 7-year-old friend (next door) and her mom. And then the mom came back, floored that a not-quite-three year old would say, completely unprompted, "Thank you for taking me swimming, Inge." She is so self-possessed most of the time, and whenever she does have a bout of classic screamy toddler behaviour, which is not frequently, it's either obviously calculated or she's very, very tired AND really pissed off. Honestly, I must have done something very very good in a former life to have ended up with this child. (Now watch, she'll hit 3 and become a different person entirely...)

I think our nice fall weather has ended - the sky today is grey and angry, although it's not raining yet. I can't believe we made it this far without any tomato blight!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#6 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Trying to catch the thread early this month. At the moment everyone is sick around here. Monday evening Joseph was saying his ear hurt so I gave him something to calm the pain so he could sleep. Tuesday morning we woke up to pus in his ear canal and a ruptured ear drum! He must have a very high pain tolerance level. Since it was an ugly green pus and is continuing to drain pus he is on antibiotics for the first time We are also using some ear drops to help keep the ear clean. None of this has slowed him down at all. He is still running around like crazy and playing. He is starting to get irritated that David can move and grab his toys, but that's normal.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#7 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM

i have a 3 going on 13 year old too. i mean some days she is all 2..but then other times she is so mature. her language is so developed, she gets pretty complex ideas and takes instruction as well as elwynn does.. she is all tall and grownupish. its weird. she was a baby like..8 months ago. i swear, becoming a big sister was a Huge growth spurt for her.
it does make me sad a bit, but i guess since i get to do it all over agai nwith rue i dont feel it so deeply. and im loving seeing her blossom into her own person. she is funny and sensitive and curiousand demanding and all her own self.:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 02:05 PM

I can totally believe that my girl is going to be three in a month. (November 8!!!!)

What I *can't* believe is that *I'm* going to be 37 on Saturday!!!! I don't feel that old, but I guess I am! My niece is 7 and was born on my birthday so I have to get something for her and get it off to her asap.
I don't have any major plans, but I think I'll get to work making some plans so I don't end up spending the day all bummed out!

It's been a week since I hung up my postpartum doula shingle here and I already have worked with one client! : I had a consultation scheduled with another one too for Tuesday eve. but then she ended up having the baby on the morning of our appointment! So I am tentatively going to talk with them tonight when they get home from the hosp. It actually feels great to be working a bit again, especially because I love having my own business/service. (And thanks so much Q of C for your kind words about me in the last month's thread! I didn't reply immediately but I was really touched that you thought that about me and posted it. : ) It feels good to be fulfilling a need and working with people in an area of expertise and it's a relief to me to feel like I can be proactive with bringing in some income in a way that I feel good about and enjoy. I've realized that I was a pretty good doula at 24, but I have gained so many skills, knowledge, wisdom and experience in life that I am really way better now. I have a lot of experience in managing a household now and know how it feels to be a new mother (and one without a lot of outside help!)

Looking down I see that I have quite suddenly received an early birthday gift: : So I guess I better get off the computer and go shower and deal with that.
#9 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Kavita, can you send AF my way? I've been feeling all premenstrually all week and she still isn't here yet. I melted my mooncup, had to order another one and I would have thought that that window sans silicone goodness would be an excellent opportunity for her, but no : Bah humbug. I'm glad the work as a doula is going well for you- it's good to see you typing happy.
I'd forgotten how much I dislike three. This week we've had tantrums about:
Going to see friends
Bus rides
Walking
Chocolate
The monster under the bed
Toffee cake for breakfast
Being expected to share the two slices of toffee cake available
Poo
Helicopters
Aeroplanes
Visiting preschools
Not seeing aminals
Seeing aminals
Puddles on the slide
Being asked not to jump in puddles with shoes (not wellies) on
Having wet socks
and it's only Thursday. She's fantastic and cool, and I love her imagination (I had a bath on the bus this morning with a dinosaur), I could just function so much better if she expressed herself with twice the words and half the volume.
Oh, and every day she asks for a Dora bicycle for her birthday : : I have NO idea where that came from.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM

I believe that I'll have a three year old in (less than) a month. I just have to keep explaining to people that she's turning three, not four (or five). Like Rowan, she's way better friends with older kids than kids her own age.

Happy early birthday Kavita, and enjoy your postpartum doula work!

And good to "see" you here again, Gunter, and I'm glad that things are going well for your family.

I told my manager that I'm pregnant yesterday, and told all of my co-workers today. Everyone has been wonderfully supportive, and really okay with the fact that I got pregnant so quickly after starting.

Guess what Neela wants to be for Hallowe'en? A bumblebee. Last year we chose and bought a bumblebee costume together at the Salvation army, then she decided that she wanted to be a baby elephant and threw a major fit and refused to wear the costume. So when we moved, I gave the bumblebee costume back to the Salvation Army. We do have some bee wings from my sister in the dress-up box, and I guess we'll just find or sew a black and yellow striped shirt.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#11 of 175 Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Prepare to drop dead of cuteness overload:

Suriya

Winter
#12 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 AM

Happy October everyone!

I just seem incapable of keeping up each month, but will try again this month. I do adore fall, and am happy that October is here. I just hope it'll start acting like fall here...today it was near 100! I guess that's what you get for living in Southern California. At least, as you ladies know, not for long (saving some huge career breakthrough). As for my career, in case it wasn't clear, the acting part/"breaking through" that seemed to be happening last year really is over and lost, suffering from the writer's strike and randomness of the business. We'll see if my two minutes are cut or not from DSM in two weeks...I have a strong feeling it's been cut, though.

ANYWAY...I am reading along as always, and glad that everyone seems to be doing pretty well these days.

DiD, what adorable beautiful children!!!!!! I love seeing pictures

Yay to Kavita and Q of C for things coming together, and welcome back Gunter. I'm so sorry to hear that Ezra is having such a hard time adjusting to her baby sister. And Helen, your list made me laugh and sounded oh so familiar.

Amy, your dream sounds Awful. I am so sorry. Hugs. I hope your next strong pregnancy dream is a beautiful one. At least you got to wake up and have that overwhelmingly grateful-for-reality feeling...

Kristina, I hope your poor little guy feels better soon! That sounds painful...And I hope things are continuing to improve with you and DP. How's the job search coming?

Spughy, Rowan sounds so unbelievably cute and mature.

And Mel, so funny that Neela wants to be a bumblebee!

Fern, it is so lovely to have you back around. Ngaio sounds beautiful, and so does Rue I'm glad you are finding more joy and peace with your living situation, and I hope you are getting the support you need. It's fun to evolve and find our way to our ultimate home, isn't it? (if there is one...)

Finley has been pretty difficult lately. I say that, and then today, he was a perfect angel, but this week, he has been losing it a LOT. I start to worry, and wonder if everything is okay?, observing the energy that I'm giving off, and what he could be reacting to, or if it's just the "terrible almost three's"?? Amazingly, all week, he has gone to bed around 5:00/5:30 pm, and wakes around 7:30! He doesn't nap. I guess the poor kid needs a lot of sleep. It feels like he is going through some kind of adolescence, like he is learning a lot and growing a lot. I alternate between worrying a bit and trusting that everything is okay. Right now, I'm trusting everything is okay (probably also because he had a great day).

And yeah, I cannot believe he is going to be three. I get all heart-achy and nostalgic when I think about it, and when I glance at his baby pictures. He is really growing up! It does help knowing I'll hopefully have a baby in about a year or so, though.

Anyone else's kids not eating a lot, too? He is just So Picky, and I am really trying to keep his diet nutritious...but he will not eat most of what I offer, and ends up eating a lot of yogurt and toast and fruit and eggs. And sitting at the table making him eat "three more bites" just kills me...reminds me of my childhood and doesn't seem healthy. So I've only tried it a couple of times, and it doesn't really work anyway, and I hate it, and so I am just going to, again, hope and trust that it'll all work out, that our healthy example will eventually kick in with him.

Sorry this is such a self-centered post! Should anyone want to see recent pictures of Finley, and you don't have my site saved, here it is:
http://web.mac.com/hillarybaack/iWeb/Finley/Home.html

I start yoga teacher-training this weekend, so like so many others, I am feeling my "work" groove kick in, and I am so excited to get involved in this way, to expand myself, to learn and grow. I've been doing a 40 day meditation, which has been amazing for my own spirit, my own sense of presence and well-being.

And I'll sign off on this rambly post with a random question:
Crafty moms...I can't sew (and don't have a sewing machine). How can I simply pull together a lion costume for Finley? Right now, I'm thinking a yellow-ish shirt he has, with neutral pants, face paint, make a tail (HOW?), and make a mane (Double HOW??) Any ideas?

And for fun: what's everyone gonna be for Halloween?
#13 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 AM

For the tail, how about one leg of a pair of appropriately colored small (like girls size) panty hose, stuffed with the other leg and whatever other stuffing needed for proper girth, with some similar colored fur taped to the end, and the whole thing sewn on or safety pinned onto his pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Crafty moms...I can't sew (and don't have a sewing machine). How can I simply pull together a lion costume for Finley? Right now, I'm thinking a yellow-ish shirt he has, with neutral pants, face paint, make a tail (HOW?), and make a mane (Double HOW??) Any ideas?

And for fun: what's everyone gonna be for Halloween?
#14 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Halloween is big around our house. We have a big party with huge crockpots full of veggie chili, pans of cornbread and chips and a keg. We decorate or crave pumpkins and dress up. We did not do this last year b/c we'd just gotten home from bali like the day before. (and some of you may remember how trashed my house was then and i was about to loose my mind.) DH and i are thrilled to be able to have a rockin party this year. If any of you are in NC, please come to it!!!

Ez is currently obsessed with copperheads. yeah, the poisonous snake! on monday, she told me while riding in the car, "mama, i want to dance with a copperhead." in a dreamy sort of voice. Right! So, she wants to be a copperhead for halloween. We usually dress up as a family so I came up with the idea that DH will be a snake charmer and i will be a basket and bux will also be a snake. I have a few ideas for how to be a lifesize basket but i need to figure out how to nurse bux throughout the party and be able to sit down at some point. I don't want to be all "karate kid in a shower" (remember his costume?) and not able to sit all night.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#15 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM

DiD and barcelona: What beautiful photos of beautiful children!

gunter, you have to post photos of your family costumes! I remember your pregnant brittney spears costume

barcelona, felt is amazingly easy to work with for costumes. For the lion mane you could cut out orange/yellow felt and fasten it to some kind of headband or elastic that wraps over his head and under his chin. The only sewing would be to attach the base of the felt pieces to the band, but you might even be able to get away with hot glue or something if you really want a no sew costume.

#16 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 AM

: seriously! your kids are sooooo stunning. those big brown eyes! *gush*
i cant believe how big suriya is! wow. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Prepare to drop dead of cuteness overload:

Suriya

Winter

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#17 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
gunter, you have to post photos of your family costumes! I remember your pregnant brittney spears costume
I was just telling a friend of mine about that the other day.

Barcelona, you need to come out and visit us! The leaves are starting to turn, it's getting crisp and cool. It's wonderful!

Kavita, that is great that you have a client already! Are you working while Ella's in class, or during the evening? I know what you mean about feeling good to be doing something again...when Brynn was little I really did feel like I would *never* want to go back to work, but I've definitely had the itch this year. I start lactation consultant shadowing at the hospital next week, and I am really excited about that. And I was thinking yesterday, it's always struck me so cool that so many of us mamas (and others on MDC) are in the maternal health field, and so passionate about pregnancy, birth, AP, and breastfeeding. I love that we all have that in common.

Helen, Yeah. So with you on all of that.

#18 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Really?????

Poo is getting me down. There's other stuff too ( I want to move) but it would be nice if the poo was heading into the potty, and it still isn't.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#19 of 175 Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Helen. It's not the neighbour again, is it?

#20 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 03:42 AM

Just subbing right now. So much I want to say but I can't really focus right now on much.

Oh, except to say hugs to those who need them. Amy, that dream would really have freaked me out!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#21 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 04:47 AM

Mel, the neighbour send a truly disgusting handwritten transcript of an advert for funeral plans a few weeks ago, but other than that he's been behaving himself. No, it's the neighbours- my big boys ran into some trouble with some of the other local kids at the field down the road from our house. The kind of trouble that involves hitting, kicking, punching and taking a ride on someone else's bike without asking, and the (hopefully unrelated) corpse of a tortured cat. The ones my boys were having trouble with were just children themselves, same kind of age, so I'm really hoping and praying they didn't have anything to do with the cat.

#22 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 05:01 AM

Oh, could I swap postcards with someone please? Skye is looking at the postman wistfully and saying "where's my letter?"

#23 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Oh, could I swap postcards with someone please? Skye is looking at the postman wistfully and saying "where's my letter?"
Well then she and Brynn are a matched pair because Brynn is *constantly* wanting to send letters to everyone! Will you PM me with your address?

PS: yikes on the cat!

#24 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 AM

How about a third birthday November 05 kids postcard swap?

I can't offer to organize, since life is a bit crazy right now, but would love to participate if anyone else likes the idea.

Helen, sorry about the local kids (and the cat- creepy!).

#25 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 PM

that would be fun! it would be fun to do a 3rd birthday gift swap too..

Quote:

#26 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 01:48 PM

My prayer before bed last night, related to the whole family taking turns being sick for a week and the newly onset gastroenteritis in both Matt and Neela: "Please let me sleep through the night without getting up to poop, to help anyone poop, or to to clean up poop". It almost worked, but I forgot to mention puke. Matt didn't, but woke me up because he was feeling very weak and thought he might vomit and needed help to set himself up to sleep in the living room. And Neela woke me up at 6:30 because of.... you guessed it: poop. And Matt has a hugely sore throat that he thinks is strep. Please, please send some healthy vibes our way!!!

I think we may be canceling our trip to Oregon next weekend. I just want us to all be healthy!!!

On a funnier note, Neela has perfected the "script" of active listening. She was trying to convince Matt to share his electrolyte drink this morning, but he didn't want to share because of the possible strep. After he explained this, she said "So what you're saying is you don't love me". Then when Matt said "I do love you", she replied "I'm just kidding!"

#27 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
My prayer before bed last night, related to the whole family taking turns being sick for a week and the newly onset gastroenteritis in both Matt and Neela: "Please let me sleep through the night without getting up to poop, to help anyone poop, or to to clean up poop". It almost worked, but I forgot to mention puke. Matt didn't, but woke me up because he was feeling very weak and thought he might vomit and needed help to set himself up to sleep in the living room. And Neela woke me up at 6:30 because of.... you guessed it: poop. And Matt has a hugely sore throat that he thinks is strep. Please, please send some healthy vibes our way!!!

I think we may be canceling our trip to Oregon next weekend. I just want us to all be healthy!!!

On a funnier note, Neela has perfected the "script" of active listening. She was trying to convince Matt to share his electrolyte drink this morning, but he didn't want to share because of the possible strep. After he explained this, she said "So what you're saying is you don't love me". Then when Matt said "I do love you", she replied "I'm just kidding!"
ak. if there is one thing i really dont like. its puke. i feel like an inadequate mother because im like "just PLEASE puke in the bucket/toilet ect" but of course if accidents happen, they happen. sorry you are having to deal with sickness in your house. i have a sick baby too, but no puke or poop (well, no more than usual) its all snot and stuff. i can deal with snot. i hope that there is some miracle healing in your house so you can still go on your adventure.

i love the convo between neela and your SO. so funny!

Quote:

#28 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Well then she and Brynn are a matched pair because Brynn is *constantly* wanting to send letters to everyone! Will you PM me with your address?
Ooh me too! Every time we bring in the mail, Winter asks "Where MY mail?"
#29 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Keagan is another one who is always asking where his mail is.

And Mel, Neela is hilarious!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#30 of 175 Old 10-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Rowan gets lots of mail. For the first time in my life, I don't mind the junk mail - I just give all of it to Rowan and tell her it's for her. She likes anything with pictures on it, or lots of O's. She had a favourite one for a while from a carpet cleaning service, she called her "mail with the guys on it." It all goes in the recycling bin eventually, but at least this way it brings someone some happiness and doesn't result in any business for those twits who send it out in the first place.

But I think a postcard swap would be a fantastic idea! I live in a tourist town so the possibilities for postcards are myriad. Could we do a couple each, like two or three?

And Fern, I hear you on the puke. Fortunately (knock on wood) I don't seem to have a pukey kid - the only time she's ever thrown up (beyond spit-up, that doesn't count) is when she had undiluted apple juice at a party when she was about 18 months old. But she's never had tummy troubles besides that. I am praying to all the possibly involved deities that state continues for as long as possible.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page