tea for toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what types of herbal teas are safe for toddlers?

what types are reccomended for them on a regular basis?

::
#2 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM

I get these. She's also an MDC mama!
#3 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM

My daughter loves the cherry flavored celestial seasonings tea.
#4 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM

I have tried giving my DC (14 months) very diluted teas that are marketed for little ones (I think Yogi tea, but not sure now). He did not like the taste at all. Any ideas of how to make it more palatable for kids?
#5 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM

I'll give DD chamomile and mint tea with raw honey in it when she has a cold. Or she will sometimes drink ice tea if I get it when we're out someplace. I've also made gelatin with fruit teas. I think fruit teas and some herbal teas are safe for kids. Be wary of herbal teas that are designed to boost energy and such.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#6 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM

My dd drinks whatever tea I'm drinking at the time. She loves green teas and the Mother's Milk tea. I think her fave may be black tea with milk.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#7 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Fennel/chamomile has been the only tea I have given DS. I started giving him littles bit around 6 months becuase it greatly helped with his teething - as he would always get a sicky tummy when he was teething.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#8 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM

I give DS peppermint tea when he has a stomachache, chamomile on rare occasions when he's been having a lot of trouble sleeping, and red zinger with honey just for fun, because he knows "red juice" (fruit punch) is out there, and this is red juice I don't mind giving him. I too have wondered what's safe, but I figure these three are pretty safe.
#9 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD likes all kinds of teas. We have 6 kinds she rotates between -- camomile, peppermint, earl gray (decaf), jasmine green, and english breakfast tea (decaf). Her favorite is Gen Mai Cha (tea with rice) but we have to get it at the Asian market and haven't been there lately. Tea was the first thing she'd drink from a cup other than water -- at the age of 22 mo.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#10 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM

My daughter loves Rooibus and Honey Bush by Numi.
#11 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 06:29 PM

ds loves "sleepy time" tea
#12 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM

All you mums who give tea to your babes... how much do you cool it down? At what age should we expect our kids to be able to drink 'hot' drinks safely? DS is 10 and still doesn't even like hot chocolate. He can't stand ANYTHING hot. DD isn't nearly as fussy as DS but we're still pretty careful to cool things down for her, but I'm just curious when and how much we could start easing up...

She loves iced tea already. I'd love to share my hot teas with her... how much should I cool them down? Hot but not HOT? Luke-warm? Room temperature only?

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#13 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I primarily give iced teas to my children. As far as hot stuff goes, I make it with hot water so that it steeps effectively, and then add ice or cool water to get it to the "good temp". The only "hot" drink my youngest will accept is "warm" cocoa.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#14 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 PM

:
oh, I gotta get my son some tea now after reading all these!

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#15 of 21 Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 PM

we use these teas from tradional medicines - they love all of them - I just usually let them cool down to barely warm before they drink them

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com...+for+kids+teas

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#16 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 AM

DD drinks chamomile and Rooibos tea just slightly warm and diluted.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#17 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 AM

I have not kept my kids away from regular black tea, though of course just a bit as toddlers and not at bedtime. I am from the South and iced tea is a normal drink for everyone, or was when I was a child.
#18 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
All you mums who give tea to your babes... how much do you cool it down? At what age should we expect our kids to be able to drink 'hot' drinks safely? DS is 10 and still doesn't even like hot chocolate. He can't stand ANYTHING hot. DD isn't nearly as fussy as DS but we're still pretty careful to cool things down for her, but I'm just curious when and how much we could start easing up...

She loves iced tea already. I'd love to share my hot teas with her... how much should I cool them down? Hot but not HOT? Luke-warm? Room temperature only?
I will make ds' tea ahead of time so it cools and then I also do it as my family does (aka "european style") with a bit of honey and milk if using something that can take it (non-fruit). If I give ds a fruity tea, I will often sweeten it with a bit of juice if I don't have honey on hand.
#19 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Most herbal teas are safe for children. I would steer clear of single herb teas marketed for medicinal use unless you know the herb, although they will usually be labeled.

I give my daughter catmint, oatstraw, lemon balm, echinacea, chamomile etc. It is part of her bedtime routine to drink warm, sleepy tea...although it doesn't seem to make her sleepy.

Green tea, white tea, black tea, and twig tea have caffeine in them, just for your information.

Temperature: The first time I make a batch of tea, I put some hot tea in her Klean Kanteen and add cold water until it feels warm, but not hot through the metal -- if I can't hold it comfortably, I think it is too hot. Then I put the rest of the tea in a jar in the refrigerator and on subsequent days I put some cold tea in her Klean Kanteen and add boiling water until it is the right temperature.
#20 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 PM

I've been making iced tea for my DD and me lately. Part of this has been me working through a vast stash of tea. We've mostly been sticking with non-caffeated herbals. She likes to help me open the packages and put them in the iced tea maker. She loves to smell the tea bags and we've invented some odd mixes.
#21 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Yum! I live on tea and yet somehow never thought of sharing it with my DS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page