Is It Time for a Toddler Bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
We're a co-sleeping family, but Dd often naps in her crib during the day. She's 18 mo. old and starting to climb out.

I'd feel much safer with her in a toddler bed with a rail. This way, she can just slide out when she wakes up and come find Mommy.

All of the websites I'm reading talk about how the transition can be "traumatic" for an LO. On the other hand, "all of the websites" are probably assuming that DD has spent every night in her crib for most of her life. Not so. Not even close. Also, she'll already be used to the mattress because it's a convertible crib.

Any thoughts? We first-time mommies are always full of silly questions, aren't we?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's a convertible crib I wouldn't see any harm in giving it a try. I wouldn't go out and buy a toddler bed, however, because they are super small! I like to lay down with DD for nursing and reading books, so I'm sure she would just end up back in the big bed if I couldn't do that in "her" bed.

ETA: DD is 27 mos and has never slept in a crib. She can get out of perfectly fine, but has NEVER done so when waking up. She ALWAYS cries or calls out to me. Is that weird??

Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 AM

My 19 mo ds sleeps much better now that he's out of his crib... you're right, the freedom to wake up and go find mama is really nice... plus then he can climb in my bed (or jump on mama, whatever). Sometimes he wakes up a BEAR and can look at his books or toys until he's ready for people time which is really nice too.

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 PM

We transitioned DD into a bed early beacuse she hated the crib (14 months).

It was wonderful, no trauma whatsoever, she just loved it. We layed down with her at first in it.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Color me convinced! Thank you.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

User Tag List