Intentionally peeing on the floor... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
My 23 mos. DD has been potty trained for BM for a few months (self-directed, no pressure). She usually will go pee on the toilet as well, but still goes in her diaper. The past two days though, she is peeing on the floor on purpose!

She'll stand there, in her big girl panties, and say "go potty" then pee. Or, I'll be out of the room, and she'll be soaked. She tell me she "went potty on the floor" and then I'll ask "where should you go?" and she says, "the toliet." It's weird.

The only thing I can think of is that she has a regular playdate with similarly aged girls, none of whom are going in the potty. She saw me change a few poopy diapers, and I explained that she was a big girl and didn't need to do that anymore. Babies poop in diapers... Later that day, she said "I poop in my diaper." And I said, "No, please poop in the potty." As I was taking down the diaper, she started to go.

Today, she was with her part-time caregiver, and peed on the floor and said, "I'm a baby."....

There haven't been any big changes here, except for my husband went out of town on business for a week...

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss!
#2 of 4 Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 AM

Honestly, I'd put her back in diapers for now. If she's regressing (which is totally normal, especially when exposed to younger babes or other toddlers who aren't yet using a potty), then I'd not pressure her about it or shame her or anything, but I wouldn't ignore it either. And I'd also ask her to help clean it up and be sure to use toilet paper and toss the toilet paper into the potty to reiterate that type of mess belongs in a potty, not the floor.

And ask her just to let you know when she's ready to pee in the potty. Until then I'd just put her in diapers again. I wouldn't make a big deal of it at all though -- and don't make it like wearing a diaper/not using potty/being a baby is bad. It's just different is all. Sounds like you did everything right so far -- it's just that she's noticed she's not in the same place as her peers, and she's reacting to that. Which is pretty insightful of her actually. But be aware that it's likely a phase that will resolve itself and the bigger deal that you make about it, the more she might dig in and feel the need to relate to her peers rather than be okay with being different, if that makes sense.

It's a touchy thing on a psychological level, so the best response (at least to me) would be to be matter of fact and minimize the whole thing as much as possible. And give it some time for it to pass. At least that's what I'd do.

Good luck.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 4 Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response. Today was much better, and she requested her "big girl panties" in the afternoon. She did great with them, but we're going to keep up with the diapers first for the rest of the week at least..just to make sure.

Keep your fingers crossed for us, because tomorrow is our last day of diaper service!
#4 of 4 Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM

I was going to suggest no diapers at all.....and that idea came from my dd! We did very casual/part-time ec. She still wore dipes whenever we were out and at night. We did let her run nakey in the house and had a few ikea potties strategically placed. That was working great, but I didn't know what else to do, so we just left it at that.

Then in August (dd was 20mos), 2 days in a row we were out at friends' houses and she asked to take the diaper off to go potty. I realized she just didn't like the diaper anymore, so I went with it. I never made a big deal about going/not going or the couple of accidents we had. I just took her to the potty whenever she asked, whenevver I went, before we left somewhere, and we kept potties nearby. We were still using dipes at night so as not to push her, until about 2 weeks later at bedtime when she informed us (very strongly), "no diaper - 'anties!!" (for some reason she can't say the "p" in that word).

Anyway, just thought I'd offer another perspective. Good luck!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page