what potty should I get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD seems young for potty training (just turned 2), but she's telling us when she pees and poops (after the fact) and frequently holds her crotch when she's peeing, so I think it's about time to start something casual.

So, tell me about your potties. What do you like and what don't you like?

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM

We have both the larger, 2 piece Baby Bjorn potty as well as the small one. (one for each floor of the house). DD has been using them for a couple of months with no problems. The small one was the best $10 we've spent!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 AM

We have the Boon potty bench. It was awesome for when we were potty training, we kept it in the living room and it was wide enough that we weren't worried about spills or anything, but it's HUGE!!! So, if you have a small bathroom, like we do, then it's not a good choice for when they want to start using it as a step stool.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 AM

Is the small Baby Bjorn potty big enough for a big kid? (35 pounds at 19 months).
Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 AM

We have the little bjorn potty - but ds is tiny, and we've been using it sense he was 7 months old (15months now). Im going to get the bigger one when he gets bigger.
The little one is great becaise we can move it around the house, in the car ect. Easy to clean b/c its one peice
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 AM

I use the small baby bjorn potty for our 6 month old, though she's 21 pounds and 29 inches tall and it works very well. I especially like that it is a solid sleek shape which makes it *super* easy to dump and clean. My only issue with it is that there is no rubber on the bottom side of it to stop it from slipping, though it inst really an issue.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM

We have one really similar to the baby bjorn little potty, and it works great.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Is the small Baby Bjorn potty big enough for a big kid? (35 pounds at 19 months).
Wow! That is a big kid

DD is just about 35lbs (at 28mos) and is still using it just fine. But assuming your little one is just going to get bigger you might want to spring for the larger one.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We have a simple wooden one from Little Colorado. We bought it when dd had just turned 2, and she started using it right away without accidents. I think it helped that it has handles to hold on to and a nice back that make her feel comfortable. It also has a toilet paper roll built in and a slot for books (although we keep extra dipes there for poops because dd won't poo in the potty yet). I think we paid about $75 for it but it was so worth it.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Just throwing this out there...

Have you considered NOT getting a potty and going straight to the real toilet (with a padded toddler insert seat)?

We had a cheap terrible potty that leaked for a while and PLing wasn't going well. When we tried again (after reading "Diaper Free Before Three") we went straight to the big toilet and it only took a week and went really well.

The thing that seems to work is we just always have the padded seat on the toilet with a stool in front so DS can go when he wants to, gets to flush the toilet and quickly became comfortable using public toilets and toilets at other people's houses.

I was really grossed out by having to clean the potty so this alternative worked well for us.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynw View Post
Just throwing this out there...

Have you considered NOT getting a potty and going straight to the real toilet (with a padded toddler insert seat)?
That would have been our preferred route, but DD won't sit on the toilet even if her life depended on it. Yet she is clearly ready to use the potty.

We have an insert, but she won't go near it.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM

I bought one at Walmart. I don't know the name, but it was pink with a pink, cushion insert so that it was soft on the hinny. The center came out where you could place it on the big toilet if you wanted to rather than the pink base. It also had a lid, but it was in the way so I took it off. It could later be used as a step stool. It was the only one that worked for us.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Baby Bjorn big potty.
DD is 17 mths and 36 lbs.

Mommy to DD 5-07
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM

i used a rather LOUD and ANNOYING potty that i bought at walmart. it had sensors at the bottom of the "pot" and every time it gets wet it sang a positive tune. DS sat on it every 2 minutes to see i think if i was still mentally sane
but have to say it did help get the job done. comes with a sticker chart so progress is noted, and he LOVED this part.

DS i might add started peeing in my coffee cup : and this is how i knew that he was ready!!! also started this venture way before 2. i think it just really depends on the child and when their ready. my oldest DS wasn't done with diapers until he was almost 3. DS only wears a diaper for outtings (public toilets scare me) and for sleeping.

i tried the toilet seat insert with him as well, he was scared of it.... he also got his "pee pee" stuck underneath it trying to get on to it. that was the end of that....

i'm all for the loud singing toilet seat... he didn't need it after a week, and i also discovered that he was using it so that he didn't have to use the "big" toilet. i put it in the garage and that was that... he now informs me that he's pooping and come wipe his butt!!!

this toilet seat that i used has flashing stars on it... i can't remember the name. i know that it is a white and blue potty and this is my recomendation. hope everything works out for you!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 PM

One other question-- is it easy for a boy to stand to pee in one of the bigger potties? I know there are the toddler urinals but they are a bit more expensive.

User Tag List