Naptime and overnight potty training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS will be 3 in Dec. He's recently been potty trained for non-naptime or overnights. Also, when we go out shopping or something where I'm unsure of how quickly we can get to the bathroom we use a diaper.

My question is, how soon does everyone work on naptime and overnight potty training?

I'd consider trying it now, but it's hard enough to get him to go to sleep and I don't think he'd ever go to sleep if he thought he could get endless trips to the toilet out of us....that's my big concern.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM

How do you potty train for night time?

My oldest wore diapers for a few months after being daytime trained. When he was ready (physically ready) he started staying dry all night. My 2 year old has been potty trained during the day and for naps for a few months now. He still wets at night several times a week so he wears a diaper. When he starts staying dry consistently, we'll stop the diapers.

I don't think there's anything you can do to encourage that.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM

DS turned 3 in May of this year, and had been daytime/naptime potty trained since he was just over 2 years old. He would have the odd accident, but I just ensured that he'd pee just before his nap (which were generally about 2 hours long). Night time training is a whole other story!! I decided I was DONE with pull-ups just after he turned 3 years old, so I bought a mattress cover and began the long journey. Similarly, as with his naps, I make sure he has peed before bed and if his bedtime is 8pm, then he doesn't drink ANY liquids past 6:30pm. Once he is asleep for 2 hours, I go into his room, wake him up to use the bathroom (he is barely awake) and again 2 hours after that. I find that if I do this, he manages to not pee the rest of the night. I realise that I am doing the work, and he isn't even aware of what is happening, but I figure it's totally worth the trouble and from my understanding, boys are quite difficult to night train. Good luck with everything!!!

Julie
Mom to DS3 and DD11months
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunachick1976 View Post
DS turned 3 in May of this year, and had been daytime/naptime potty trained since he was just over 2 years old. He would have the odd accident, but I just ensured that he'd pee just before his nap (which were generally about 2 hours long). Night time training is a whole other story!! I decided I was DONE with pull-ups just after he turned 3 years old, so I bought a mattress cover and began the long journey. Similarly, as with his naps, I make sure he has peed before bed and if his bedtime is 8pm, then he doesn't drink ANY liquids past 6:30pm. Once he is asleep for 2 hours, I go into his room, wake him up to use the bathroom (he is barely awake) and again 2 hours after that. I find that if I do this, he manages to not pee the rest of the night. I realise that I am doing the work, and he isn't even aware of what is happening, but I figure it's totally worth the trouble and from my understanding, boys are quite difficult to night train. Good luck with everything!!!

Julie
Mom to DS3 and DD11months
That seems like a ton of work. I've never liked limiting drinks like that. Kids night train when they're bodies are ready and nothing really works besides that. Except of course waking them up to go to the bathroom. But who's really trained in that situation?

From my experience, my boys have been extremely easy to potty train and night time pottying happens when it happens.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Well it's not really a tonne of work as I have to get up that often anyway to nurse my DD and I figured it was worth my while to do so. It seems to be working though as I have been putting him down for the night as per usual and for the past 5 nights has been getting up on his own to use the washroom. I fully expect there to be accidents forthcoming, but I'm not too worried. Both my DH and brother were very late to train through the night, so I thought I'd start a bit earlier, not take things too seriously and see what comes of it. And I'm pretty happy with how well he has been doing!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
How do you potty train for night time?

My oldest wore diapers for a few months after being daytime trained. When he was ready (physically ready) he started staying dry all night. My 2 year old has been potty trained during the day and for naps for a few months now. He still wets at night several times a week so he wears a diaper. When he starts staying dry consistently, we'll stop the diapers.

I don't think there's anything you can do to encourage that.
Good advice! I guess I was lucky, dd started staying dry all night, to my amazement at 18m! So that is when I started potty learning during the day with her... not going to expect that with ds though! She has only had 1 accident at night since then and that was when she was SICK!

User Tag List