She is ok/ we came home in 2 hours---I think my 2 year old dd ingested a Cymbalta pill, should I bring her to ER?- - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read this. Praying for your little one. Hope you're all doing fine. Please take her to the ER if you haven't already, this isn't the sort of decision you want to regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
woah this IS scary. she hasnt logged in since yesterday afternoon. and i am worried. for both her and her child.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#123 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 10:35 AM

I hope everything's okay, this has got me really worried

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#124 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 12:04 PM

I'm scared too.

I've called Poison Control numerous times, and the one single time that they advised the ER was when my 3 year old son brought half of a mushroom to me (outside) and said "I bit the other part".

I am the very last person to want unneeded pokes or prods on my babies, truly. I've had two UCs. I own a Yahoo group dedicated to chicken pox meetups. None of my five children are vaxed or circed. They have all been nursed until they want to stop. I have coslept with all of them.

But when the Poison Control said ER, I went. No question. They gave him some activated charcoal in some juice, and even respected my (humble, polite) request to give it in 100% juice. No pokes, no prods, but if they had needed to do so I wouldn't have objected.

There is a place for Western Medicine. There really, really is. And if my baby were to get into my Prednisone, I'd be in the ER instantly. Nature didn't put Prednisone in my baby's house, and nature won't rescue him from it.
#125 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM

I have never ever stalked a thread like I am stalking this one. Mama I really hope that after a trip to the ER you have awsome weekend plans and are too darn busy doing them to update us! I hope all is well.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#126 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM

More good wishes and prayers~

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#127 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 PM

lots of : to your family.
~~

~Shannon
#128 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 03:12 PM

My dd ate some of my grandpa's heart meds one time and PC told me to go straight to ER. I was so nervous about taking her to the ER and I had every right to be. She was fine and I felt really bad that she had to undergo such a TRAMATIC experience at the hospital when she was perfectly fine. But what if she had not been and I hadn't taken her?? It took them 2 tries to get her IV in and I was sobbing, she was sobbing... it was a mess. Then they had to keep her overnight and poke and prod her. She was scared and angry and tired. We both went home and slept almost all day after that. It was horrible... So, I can totally understand her hesitation. But... even though it was a horrible experience it would have been an even worse experience if something had happened and I had not taken her to the ER. I hope all is fine and mamma and baby are in my thoughts.
#129 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Ugh. This is awful. Dying for an update!

Grace Comes.

#130 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:02 PM

Oh dear, I just saw this. I hope you LO is ok.

:
#131 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I'm so sorry to not to update it yesterday (I was distressed with the whole ordeal, I didn't want to get on the computer), I didn't know there were going to be this many posts. I didn't get to read all the responses.
Thank you all for your prayer and thoughts. She is ok. So far so
good. The fact that I found some white powder (matted down) on the
kitchen floor, I'm thinking she must have spitted out most of whatever
that was in her mouth.
I took her to ER immediately and they only checked her temp and pulse and we waited in the waiting room for a while. While she was there, she was alert, happy, dancing around with his brother.
Anyhow, after 2 hours of waiting (not even strapped to a bed but waiting in the room), they said she is not showing any concerning signs so we came home. They said the worst symptom she can get is drowsiness and watch for any abnormal behaviors which she didn't show so far. We didn't have to do any blood drawing or pumping stomach, thank you God!!!
The reason I posted this post initially was to find if any natural mamas out there had to deal with this situation and their kids were ok.

Have a blessed weekend!!!

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#132 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Oh thank heavens. I mean I know I don't know you or anything, but I was so worried! So glad everything is ok.
#133 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 PM

thank you for the update! i'm glad all is well!
#134 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad you both are OK, glad it was nothing, glad you updated, and glad you went to the ER!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#135 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 PM

so glad she's ok!
#136 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

: Thanks for updating, I'm glad she's OK.
#137 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

One thing I wanted to share and add...
While I was at ER, I had to go thru several peolpe who were asking me the same question "what happend?" and explained everything I knew happened.
At one point, 1 woman was keep saying, "how did she open the bottle?" I said, "I don't know but she opened it" The way she was inquiring was a little offensive... Anyhow, after physician's assistant came, filled out form saying we are free to go and she went to get final permission from the doctor, while we were in a room waiting the final ok, two new people (a guys and a lady) came in and asked me the same thing. "What happened?" I explained the same thing thinking one of them might be the doctor, and then I don't remember who exactly but either she or I kind of initiated for my dd to try to open the med bottle again. My dd grabbed the bottle and twisted the child proof cap several times, and viola! she opend in front of them. They couldn't believe it. I told them to tell the lady at the desk that they saw my dd open the cap because she couldn't believe it when I said it.
My point is never trust child proof cap bottle. I mean we don't, but we thought it was empty. There was (looks like 2 pill total) and I saw one cap open and the other capsule was still intact. She didn't bother touching the 2nd one thankfully. FYI, it was from WalMart Lilly company cap.
Again, I'm so sorry to not update this sooner. My computer was on but I was too distressed to get on the computer and read anything. Also I didn't get auto response emails either so I thought no one replied after I got off to go to ER.
I still didn't get to read all the replies but you guys all made me cry for your thoughts/concerns/prayers for us.
God bless you!!!~~~
Kim

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#138 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Whew! Soooooo glad she is okay!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#139 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Glad she is fine! AND she didn't have to be poked or proded.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#140 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM

So glad that all is well! : And also that she didn't have anything done unnecessarily to her... sounds like it was handled wonderfully. Sorry that they kind of harassed you about "how did it happen" but at least she made it clear that she actually could open the cap!! So glad that your (very bright!) little girl is fine.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#141 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm so happy to hear that your little one is okay!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#142 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 PM

SO glad you're both ok! Thanks for the reminder/heads up about the "child-proof" caps.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#143 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Delurking to say thanks for the update and I'm so happy your daughter is OK!
#144 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
So glad that all is well! : And also that she didn't have anything done unnecessarily to her... sounds like it was handled wonderfully. Sorry that they kind of harassed you about "how did it happen" but at least she made it clear that she actually could open the cap!! So glad that your (very bright!) little girl is fine.
I've been in the ER too many times with my guys daredevils. When there's an injury, the staff always asks over and over again what happened. They ask me, they ask the kid. Each new member asks the same thing. Rather than being offended or feeling harassed, I feel like they're looking out for my kids (and everyone's kids) and I'm grateful.
I think that it's great to have our eyes wide open while we advocate for our kids, but being to scared can close us off to real help (as evidenced by what could have happened in the case of the OP of this thread) and can limit our kids' abilities to advocate for themselves--we can teach them to clam up and be paranoid and not seek help for themselves from the community. Erring on the side of caution is not always a good thing.

I'm not sure what you were thinking, naturallyspeaking, when you said "not even strapped to a bed but waiting in the room". In Canada, and most humane societies that I know, physical restraint is illegal unless absolutely warranted and a doctor's orders must be given and then the patient is checked every 15 minutes minimum and many other rules apply to keep them safe including a time limit on how long they can be restrained for. This is only used in EXTREME cases, and I know many nurses who do not physically restrain patients (keep in mid these are violent, severely mentally unbalanced individuals who pose an immediate threat) even under doctor's orders if they conclude all other methods of restraint haven't been exhausted first (now, of course there are cases where this system is not adhered to and the HCPs are held legally liable). I hope that you left the hospital with a bit more trust in the system and a little less fear. You and your kids deserve the support and aid of your community, including the medical community.
#145 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 08:17 PM

I've had a lot of hospital trips, and they always ask questions repeatedly because they need to prevent treatment errors due to mistaken identity.
#146 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 PM

I'm so glad everything is ok!

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#147 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad everything's ok!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#148 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM

What a relief. I've been thinking about you.
#149 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 PM

I am so glad to hear she is fine! I will be EXTRA careful about child-proof caps now.

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
#150 of 158 Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 PM

I'm glad she's okay.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page