She is ok/ we came home in 2 hours---I think my 2 year old dd ingested a Cymbalta pill, should I bring her to ER?- - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just called Poison control and they said bring her to ER.
The was child proof pill container she got a hold of and I found a pill with the shell open, when I opened her mouth I found 2-3 white granule from the pill. I think she had one pill (not even the whole thing) and we thought the bottle was empty and this was CHILD PROOF CAP!
I don't want unnecessary poke and prod but don't know if this medicine is fatal to her.
Anyone had kids ingesting medicine before? What should I do?
Should I contact Holistic doctor who can see her without invasive measure to monitor her?? I called her ped but she is not in and the nurse said to call Poison control... not much help.
I'm shaky right now...
-----------------------------
UPDATE: so you guys don't have to find my id down the 7 pages long...
She is fine, not showing any problems, we came home without having to do any invasive scary stuff. Thank you all!!!
Wow, I'm so sorry to not to update it yesterday (I was distressed with the whole ordeal, I didn't want to get on the computer), I didn't know there were going to be this many posts. I didn't get to read all the responses.
Thank you all for your prayer and thoughts. She is ok. So far so
good. The fact that I found some white powder (matted down) on the
kitchen floor, I'm thinking she must have spitted out most of whatever
that was in her mouth.
I took her to ER immediately and they only checked her temp and pulse and we waited in the waiting room for a while. While she was there, she was alert, happy, dancing around with his brother.
Anyhow, after 2 hours of waiting (not even strapped to a bed but waiting in the room), they said she is not showing any concerning signs so we came home. They said the worst symptom she can get is drowsiness and watch for any abnormal behaviors which she didn't show so far. We didn't have to do any blood drawing or pumping stomach, thank you God!!!
The reason I posted this post initially was to find if any natural mamas out there had to deal with this situation and their kids were ok.

Have a blessed weekend!!!

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#2 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you should take her to the ER. IME, poison control is not one to say to do it if it isn't necessary (says the mom of a baby who ate a zoloft once).

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM

I assume by this point you've already gone to the ER.

Please let us know how she's doing. ((hugs))

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#4 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
We went to ER and all they did was pulse and temp check, we came home in 2 hours.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#5 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM

I say this with all gentleness, you need to take her to the ER. Poison control is the expert on poisoning. MDC is great for a lot of things, but I personally would not trust my child's well-being to bunch of online strangers. When my kid ate a zoloft, they said just watch him and he should be fine. If they're telling you to go to the ER, it's because you need to get her to the ER.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM

: If there was something you could do at home, poison control would have told you to do it already. They said go to the ER. Do not hesitate any longer.
#7 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM

You need to get your daughter to the ER. You are allowing her to absorb a drug that is not safe in any quantity in a 2 year old.
Was this a delayed-release capsule? Breaking or opening the pill will cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
#8 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Please go. I have had to call poison control a few times and I trust their judgement. They know what is toxic and what is not according to body weight.

DD got into some aleve and I didn't know how many she took. Poison control figured out she would have had to take 7 to be toxic but since it was a travel pack we know she couldn't have ingested more than 5.

PLEASE GO NOW!

\m/

#9 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 PM

If poison control said go, GO. To the ER. Call 911 if you have to.

They don't say to go in if it's not necessary. One of the main things they do is reassure parents that the child will be fine, to just watch for XYZ, etc. They do not send you to the ER unless medical attention is needed.

I am the least dr-going mama I know, and I'd definitely always listen to poison control. Them I trust.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#10 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Take her to the ER NOW!! I called poison control the other day because my DD swallowed and adult Claritin and the lady told me it was not a big deal and I needn't worry, but to call if I had more questions...

If they are saying to take her to the ER then DO IT, they don't tell you to do that unless you need to do that. This is what they are trained in.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM

and depending how far you are from a hospital, I would consider an ambulance!
#12 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Yes, really, I have called poison control for A LOT of things and they never told me to go to the ER even when my kid ate an Ultram, toxic floor adhesive, a BIG glass of sake, umm alot of stuff I thought FOR SURE I would have to go. They really do not tell you to go unless it is serious. it's scary but TAKE HER. Hugs and you are not a bad mama, do not feel guilty. Just take her. If you have activated charcoal give that to her. But GOOOO.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#13 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Please don't take a chance with your child's health. Poison control knows their stuff. Take her the hospital NOW!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#14 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM

I just read the prescribing info on Cymbalta's web site, and their warnings and precautions sections sounds scary enough for an adult, I would definitely take a 2 year old to the ER especially when advised by poison control.

GO NOW!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#15 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post

I am the least dr-going mama I know, and I'd definitely always listen to poison control. Them I trust.
Yes.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#16 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm praying by now you have gone, and am going to keep praying for you and your little one.

#17 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 PM

I am so worried for your daughter. I too have called poison control a couple of times (once for my dog and once for my son), and both times they were able to advise me about what to do at home. They do not advise going to the ER unless it is absolutely necessary to save a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm praying by now you have gone, and am going to keep praying for you and your little one.
:

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#18 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 PM

If you called poison control and they said take her you must b/c they will follow up and call CPS.

I also agree with the other mamas here. I'm thinking of your little one. give us an update.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#19 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
If you called poison control and they said take her you must b/c they will follow up and call CPS.
Where did you get this information? I don't think it's true. I was always told the information they took was purely for keeping track of what sort of calls they get.

#20 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Yeah, if Poison Control says to get thee to the Doc. Then you should get thee to the Doc.

Hopefully you've done it by now.
Hope it's nothing serious and she'll be ok. Keep us posted.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#21 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM

thinking of you and your little one.
#22 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM

ER.

Now.

Go.

Prayers and good thoughts going your way until we hear the update from you that all is well.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#23 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM

I'd call 911 immediately.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#24 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Where did you get this information? I don't think it's true. I was always told the information they took was purely for keeping track of what sort of calls they get.

I suppose it might not be true everywhere. My Aunt works for poison control in NC and I know it is also true in Texas because it happened to a mama I know from another board.

Regardless this is obvioulsy a case where they needed to go to the ER.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#25 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
I didn't yet.
I'm afraid what they will do to her for unnecessary measure.
Is there anything I can do to dilute this thing in her body? Like feeding her certain things?
AHHHHHHHH
THIS IS WHAT THE POISON CONTROL CENTER & ER ARE FOR. I really hope you've gone already.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#26 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
I suppose it might not be true everywhere. My Aunt works for poison control in NC and I know it is also true in Texas because it happened to a mama I know from another board.

Regardless this is obvioulsy a case where they needed to go to the ER.
I agree about the ER. I don't think it's all that helpful to throw the threat of CPS into the mix though.

Also, the poison control hotline is a national center, not a regional or state one.

National Poison Control Center
1-800-222-1222

#27 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Goodness!! I hope you are long gone to the ER by now!!!

I would not really take the risk by waiting to see what a bunch of people on a website say. Accidental poisoning, especially with a strong drug like cymbalta, can have ramifications we are not qualified to diagnose online. And honestly, your baby's safety is paramount here!

Good luck!!

And FWIW, I've had to use PC several times, and nobody's ever followed up, let alone called CPS to make sure I followed the ER recommendation.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#28 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM

I really want to emphasize that Poison Control doesn't just say go to the ER lightly. I called them freaked out one time and they said, "Honey, you don't worry until we tell you to worry." They know what they are talking about. I've called probably 8 times in the last 5 years and they've never told me to go to the ER.

Look, my 3 yo had a convulsion after hitting her head, and we didn't take her to the ER (Dh was in EMS and we know what to look for AFA head trauma) ... the point of sharing that is that we really do NOT go to the hospital unless we are sure we have to. I would call an ambulance if Poison Control said to get to the ER.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#29 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM

OH my god, I just re-read this post & realize the OP has ALREADY spoken to poison control & they recommended the ER.

MODERATOR: Please, can there be some kind of common-sense warning on this site indicating & reminding ALL that what is posted here is OPINION of STRANGERS, not medical professionals? I really shudder to think that anyone, would hesitate calling 9-1-1 after being advised by the PCC to go to the ER, in favor of or in order to get MDC opinions.

This is so unbelievably frightening. It's one thing when we're talking about whether to give Hylands teething tabs over Tylenol, but when a child has ingested an adult medication, there shouldn't even be hesitation.

Doctors, nurses, medical professionals, in spite of what some fringe folks might say, here to HELP, not hurt. And in this instance, in particular, is a perfect example of just WHY there are emergency services - 9-1-1 & PCC & ER. As much as I love this site, I do wonder that the culture here often can cause people to hesitate in their blink instinct decisions (which are usually right - they are built in, hard wired protection for ourselves & our children) in favor of getting a broader "natural family" opinion from complete strangers who don't know the whole story before action. It's just plain frightening.

PLEASE, OP if you're still around, GO TO THE ER. Call 9-1-1.

Thinking of you.

#30 of 158 Old 10-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
I'm afraid what they will do to her for unnecessary measure.
I'd be more afraid of what the drug would do to her, than anything the doctors may do. Please let us know how she's doing.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page