Sept. 07 Mama's - November! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaking of choosing your family -- do you guys have a will or anything in place in case something happens to both of you? Have you legally chosen who would care for your child/ren? DS is *7*. And we still haven't. It's soooo hard. I keep thinking we need to, but who do we choose?

Mama to three  
#182 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 09:45 PM

And on a lighter note - we're having "Falicia's Curry" for dinner : It's super yummy!

Off to cook....

Mama to three  
#183 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
Speaking of choosing your family -- do you guys have a will or anything in place in case something happens to both of you? Have you legally chosen who would care for your child/ren? DS is *7*. And we still haven't. It's soooo hard. I keep thinking we need to, but who do we choose?
We do have a will in place. We have chosen my sister and her husband. They have no kids and similar belief systems. I would hate for it to come to that but I think they would be the best choice.

Wendi
#184 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
And on a lighter note - we're having "Falicia's Curry" for dinner : It's super yummy!

Off to cook....
Aw, YAY! :: I keep meaning to make a list of more easy meals for you, since every time I cook one I think "gosh, Jeanine would totally like this"

Has anyone done/ is anyone doing something for International Babywearing Week? Our little group in Green Bay is doing a walk tomorrow (at the mall since it's :Really. :F&^#**ing.: Cold. but only 3 families are showing up. I've been attempting to make tee shirts with iron on decals and I've yet to be successful. I mean really, I *can* iron.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#185 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:

No. We don't.

We talked about it before Chaya was born, and DH downloaded a will from the internet - but I dunno - does that stand up in court?

Recently, we had the big conversation of "who should take care of Chaya if something happens to us?"

We actually agreed on the person.. and agreed that we could change our minds in a few years.... it's such a strange, hard, uncomfortable and weird conversation to have.

and we still don't have an official will.

#186 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
We talked about it before Chaya was born, and DH downloaded a will from the internet - but I dunno - does that stand up in court?

.... it's such a strange, hard, uncomfortable and weird conversation to have.
That's a good question - does anyone know if it would stand up in court? I mean, who wants to fork over perfectly good money to an attorney?

We used to think we'd give them to my parents/brother. Like, they could start off with my parents, and as they (my parents) got older, and my brother got more settled, he could take over. Well, he's married now....and let's just say we've decided against that. We've been talking about it again lately and think we want some friends of ours. How on earth do you ask someone who you've only known a couple years (and have 3 kids of their own) if they'd take your kids?

Mama to three  
#187 of 280 Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 PM

Mommajb Ah yes, sleep in the morning is nice…sleep in the night is even better though!! : I wish I could choose my family too!

Jeanine We haven’t done that either : I keep avoiding it and DH isn’t in any hurry either, but it is important. His BIL died when his kids were 3 months and 4 years old. Thankfully he was alone in the car when he crashed, but had his wife been there too things would have been really hard to sort out in terms of the two kids.

Faliciagayle What a cool walk! I wish they had that here, I’d totally do it.

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
#188 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:16 AM

MrsB: Here's a link to the whole concept! You might be able to locate a group near you : http://babywearinginternational.org/...earingweek.php

jeanine: C. and I are coming to CA on Tuesday! We'll be there till Dec 2. Any chance you're gonna be in the Bay Area? I'm planning a trip to Sonoma but I think you are further east....

speaking of C., she's starting to fuss.

sigh. And I was just getting into the internet

#189 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just jumping in for a sec...

No will here. My parents live nearby and are very close to the kids, so they would be our choice for guardian, I'm sure. My sister might be another choice if she was healthy enough, perhaps if she marries and therefore has someone else to help. After that it would be friends of ours that we've known a long time, have kids similar ages, and similar parenting and beliefs. We've been talking about life insurance more now that our friend has died and his family has to go on without his income, among other things.

Babywearing Walk - we're doing one tomorrow in downtown Houston. It's gonna be a stretch because of the timing and how much else is going on, but I'm planning to be there with Judah. Now to decide what to wear him in! I'm hoping we'll have a good turn out, but it's hard to know! 6-10 would be really nice. I highly doubt we'd have more than that.

We went to the "corn farm" tonight that has a big corn maze and lots of activities for kids (and non-kids!). It was BRRR!! cold! I know some of you may scoff, but we were happily freezing in sub-50° temps. : Oh and lots of wind! When we left the car said it was 46°. Judah wanted to get down from the Calyx I was carrying him in, so I put him down to play in the hay mountain - not interested! He went walking very determinedly across the area to the other side of the play "fort," at which point I finally realized perhaps he was looking for the piglet that we'd seen coming in? I asked him if that's what he wanted, and he lit up, walked straight to the stairs (which I helped him climb), and bee-lined it for the rubbermaid tub the pig was in! He was so taken with it! Of course we thought it was funny that we've been calling HIM Piglet for the last month as he was dressed as Piglet for the harvest party. He didn't even mind when the pig started squawking when she was picked up, but pet her very nicely. And then, he decided he was done, turned around, and headed for the steps! It's always so much fun to go up there! The kids all had a great time.

Well my MIL will be here in 9 days. : And she's staying HERE. And I told her it was fine. And she's still got a hotel reservation, just in case we change our minds. But how do I say, "gee, it might be nice to have some downtime during the visit?" Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Had a nice chat with her for about 30m, so that was good. Then my FIL and his wife come in on Dec 20, and stay until the 27th (save 2 days when they go to DFW). And then my grandmother comes in on the 28th! I guess this is what we get for saying "We're NOT traveling this year!!!"

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#190 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Survived my MIL visit. Friday night she was pretty embarrassing. I hate going out to dinner with her because of how she acts and treats waitresses, she was extremely rude to the waitress for our food taking a while longer. I'm guessing her steak made a sight-seeing tour of the floor before being cooked Otherwise she was fairly tolerable, so all in all it wasn't too bad.

For the will question, we're going to complete one before Andrew gets deployed. I know our situation is kind of different but it's pretty essential for us to have everything in place should something happen. As for life insurance we're both covered under the Army. I do not trust anyone in either of our families to respect out wishes in raising our kids should something happen to both of us, so I have no idea who we would make guardians in that case.

Heather - I hope the MIL visit goes well!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#191 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM

We have no will because we can't figure out who we would want to raise the children. It is terrible but maybe I can hold off on it until ds1 is old enough. I hate the topic.

We have a highschool drama production and lacrosse on the agenda for this afternoon.

Last night was rough. :yawning: Maybe I can sleep through Thoroughly Modern Millie?

Linus is answering yes-no questions very clearly - I love being able to give him what he wants and seeing his face light up at being understood.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#192 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

I keep forgetting to ask...

Is anybody else losing hair again? It is really bothering me. I lost a bunch, it started growing back in and now I am losing bunches again.

Ideas?

#193 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I keep forgetting to ask...

Is anybody else losing hair again? It is really bothering me. I lost a bunch, it started growing back in and now I am losing bunches again.

Ideas?
nak, but YES! Mine stopped around 6 months pp, got it cut up to my chin in September and the past few weeks, it's falling out like it did months ago!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#194 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 PM

I am so glad I am not the only one losing hair! I was beginning to worry.

#195 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM

The only thing that's changed for me in the past month was the return of AF mid-October, I wonder if it could be related?

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#196 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 PM

No legal will here. DHs life insurance goes to his brother and wife if we both die. My mom gets first choice in whether or not she raises the kids. But, she has my brother who is chronically ill and adding two more children just may be too much. So, she gets first "dibs" and if she decides to keep them, the money goes back to her. BIL and SIL get the children otherwise (and we get theirs if something happened to them). The problem is they live in Austin, and I just cant stand the idea of the kids being so far from the rest of their family The money legally goes to them because we are with my mom a lot and DH was worried that we could all be in some kind of accident together and it would make it hard to get the money to the kids.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#197 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM

hair loss - no hair loss/no AF.

Speaking of AF - my friend had a baby on Monday, and I was talking to her on the phone yesterday and could hear the little baby squeaks. So cute . But I told her if she makes me ovulate I'm gonna be :,

falicia - what part of the bay area will you be in? i live quite a ways from the bay area but my parents are in marin. and ( we're going to be there for thanksgiving! PM me if you don't want your itinerary floating around in cyberspace.

Katie - glad you survived the visit. I keep meaning to ask, how's Andrew's recovery going?

Mama to three  
#198 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM

Nicole - since you have a plan, but no legal will... Did you write the plan down somewhere? Or you've all talked about it and agreed to it (and there's no one who would contest it?) I'd still like to know if an informal, written will would stand up in court. Anyone know?

Mama to three  
#199 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
The only thing that's changed for me in the past month was the return of AF mid-October, I wonder if it could be related?
AF had never returned before 15 months which will be Dec 2. There is no sign of an imminent return either. I am down to pre-pregnancy weight and running (or jogging, I'm kinda slow) a bit. Milk supply is good. I am not really in good humor but I am plodding through (seems a little early in the season to feel this way but facts are facts). I am not getting enough sleep and I am eating plenty. I am not taking a vitamin. I want to chalk the hair loss up to that's just how it goes but I do not want to ignore a problem if one exists.

#200 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Katie - glad you survived the visit. I keep meaning to ask, how's Andrew's recovery going?
Thanks for asking! The first 5 days were pretty rough on him, the day of surgery and the next day were the hardest for sure. He took meds for pain and to sleep on those days because he had such a bad headache. By day 5 he only had some dryness, and now he doesn't feel any kind of discomfort but his vision isn't considered 100% until 6 months post-op. His vision goes in and out at times but other than that he's doing great.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#201 of 280 Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Nicole - since you have a plan, but no legal will... Did you write the plan down somewhere? Or you've all talked about it and agreed to it (and there's no one who would contest it?) I'd still like to know if an informal, written will would stand up in court. Anyone know?
we keep meaning to make it formal.....no, all we have at this point is understanding between the families. I dont see how anyone would contest it though. I worry a bit about it not being formal when I think of it Note to self, get that done!

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#202 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 03:04 AM

No formal will here either, but I want to get that taken care of in the next few weeks. My life insurance will be finalized and then it will be time for my will. My situation is a bit different being a a single Mama and can't believe I have waited this long to get a will and life insurance taken care of. It makes me sick to think that something could happen to me and she wouldn't be taken care of. Her guardian will be my parents and then one of my sisters.

Oh don't even mention hair falling out again. I had such an awful bout of it starting at around 6 months and it lasted for about 6 months. I thought I was going to go bald from looking at what was falling out. The new growth is still driving me nuts. AF returned for me 3 months PP and now it is gone again for the last 3 months and no I am not pregnant...nothing like abstinence.

Lucy's new favorite thing to do is run like a fool around in the field behind my house. She will bang on the door to go out and then I have to put her down immediately and she just runs and screams with her arms in the air. She will run one direction as fast as she can and then turn and run the other direction. I just sit there and laugh.

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#203 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Did I kill the thread last night? Where is everyone?

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#204 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM

looking for coffee and settling for tea.

I bought some loose rooiboos tea and thought I got a great deal. It is one of my favorites. As it turns out it is cut funny and slips through the mesh on my tea ball. I am sipping slowly so the leaves stay at the bottom of my cup for now.

Linus doesn't nap enough. I am very frustrated homeschooling but I feel like I can't give up. It would feel like giving up on my kids or their education. Too many ages to do anything well. I entertained Linus feeding him sunflower seeds one at a time this afternoon.

On a more positive note, lentil soup is ready for dinner and dh will head home as soon as the students leave his office this afternoon.

Fill me in on the mundane details of your life. Please. Somebody?

#205 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM

You want mundane details? ok....

I spent the morning shopping for health insurance.

DH spent the morning shopping for life insurance.

The kids have some weird sickness. It involves tiredness and a fever for a day. Ds had it friday, Jamison seems to have it now. It's really hard to tell if dd1's crankiness is because of it or if it's just her normal 3 yo behavior

When I was a teenager my dad made a loft for my bedroom. It's at my parent's house. I'm trying to acquire it. The trouble is the top is *full* of my brother's crap. As is their garage, shed and back patio. I really want to bring it home with us after thanksgiving but my dad doesn't know if he can get it cleaned off. I want it for ds's room.

Jamison's very cranky and clingy today.

I made pumpkin pies yesterday. One's gone already.

This afternoon I was on the couch with a sleeping Jamison. I asked dh to bring me a salad. He brought me an ice cream sundae instead :

I kinda think he has what the kids had/have. He's *really* tired. No fever though.

We're having corn chowder for dinner. :

I need to go chop a tomato for Jamison - she's begging for one.

Mama to three  
#206 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm here, not feeling so great today. I lost what appears to be a big glob of mucus this morning and more this afternoon, but I'm not bleeding or cramping or anything so I think I'm just over-doing it. I see my midwife on Wednesday so I'll talk to her about it then.

We had Mexican for dinner. Andrew is playing hockey tonight so that leaves me to do bath and bedtime, and then maybe I can get a little bit of work done. We are looking into moving on post in order to save money. We would have to be on a waiting list and wouldn't have much say once our name comes up as for when we moved, so having to find someone to take over our lease complicates things. I'm hoping we can get something worked out because it would help us greatly.

Liam played outside in the leaves today while I raked, he liked to stir up all the leaves in the pile and then pick some up and put them in a bucket. I wish I had the camera close by to take pictures.

#207 of 280 Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM

I did ask didn't I?

I hope everyone is feeling better soon and you get your loft. I like your husband's style with the sundae. I had some sugar today and now I am done. No more sugar again. It isn't sitting well. Stay healthy and alive.

Katie, I also had so much discharge while preggo that I could not have identified a mucous plug. Sorry for the tmi. Stay careful, don't overdue it, and : $ and moving works out.

Fennel tea, yogi nursing mothers tea, what else for my upset tummy? I was thinking peppermint but I am worried about heartburn. The sugar gave me toots.

#208 of 280 Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 AM

now i'm making job descriptions and employee evaluation forms for dh's business. see? this is why sometimes i don't post much. you all are now,

mmmm, mint tea sounds good

Mama to three  
#209 of 280 Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 AM

I still listening. Linus just fell out of bed for the second time ever and landed on the hardwood floor. He seems to be fine. If I would go to bed I might have a better chanve of catching him.

My tummy is still upset. I may be too embarrassed to use a treadmill tomorrow and run outside but it is snowing/raining.

Wendi, my little girls love papo but I don't know that fills would ever happen. I tend to buy by the collection. Ian had the three musketeers and robin hood sets for example. What were you looking to get?

#210 of 280 Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM

mommajb - i hope you're feeling better today

i'm going to work on my job descriptions/evaluations while the kids are sleeping. but i have my priorities straight, so i checked in here first.

uh-oh. jamison just woke up - so much for that.

Mama to three  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page