Silly doctor's questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We saw a pedi yesterday that we haven't seen before, at the same practice. She asked if DD was "on milk now". I said yes. She said "whole milk". I said yep. Her satisfied nod made it clear I shouldn't elaborate!!

Ha ha ... this just makes me laugh! DD has been on whole milk for 13 months now, since she was born!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 PM

That's great!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:33 PM

yup, we sad a ped in the ER several years ago who asked "vaccinations up to date?" and after thinking for a moment i said "yes."

since DS gets none, we were in fact, up to date.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Oh how I love DD's ped... He gave me a pep talk on nursing and co-sleeping when we were there last week for a cold (eye infection - I suspected ear infection). His youngest nursed until she was six and stayed in their bed until she was 12. :
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
That's priceless. I told a friend a while back that's how she should answer when the Ped asks if she gives whole milk to avoid the discussion, told her "well you're not skimming it are you?"
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM

See, that's why I love our *new* ped....at ds's initial (and only so far) checkup w/ him, he asked us "Is he on whole milk or breastfeeding" ... DS was 20 mos. And since he phrased it that way, I felt completely comfortable elaborating a little....and answered that "he's still nursing, he doesn't like cow's milk" which was just fine, from both points of view. :
Parent's shouldn't have to hide things from their children's dr's. It just makes it that much harder to get good care, if the doctor doesn't know something, or thinks the exact opposite of what is true, because of intentional miscommunication...bad enough when they happen accidentally. (and I want to make it clear - I'm in no way saying anything against mothers who do have to do this. Just that it shouldn't have to be that way, and I'm glad that I don't feel the need to do so.)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
Old 11-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
Parent's shouldn't have to hide things from their children's dr's. It just makes it that much harder to get good care, if the doctor doesn't know something, or thinks the exact opposite of what is true, because of intentional miscommunication.
Yeah, I mostly agree with this... but am guilty of it myself especially if it's really a nutrition or parenting question vs. a real medical question. I know upfront that I am really, really not interested in my ped's opinions on my dd's nutrition, our sleep habits, my discipline techniques, so I gloss over those areas. I am interested in her medical advice when she's sick, so if at a sick visit rather than a well-baby visit she asks a specific question, I answer it honestly... but at the well-baby visit I do a lot of smiling, nodding, and mumbling something noncomittal.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
We saw a pedi yesterday that we haven't seen before, at the same practice. She asked if DD was "on milk now". I said yes. She said "whole milk". I said yep. Her satisfied nod made it clear I shouldn't elaborate!!

Ha ha ... this just makes me laugh! DD has been on whole milk for 13 months now, since she was born!
I just dont get it. Why do doctors (and others) get so hung up on getting kids and babies on "real milk" (cow's milk)? This has to be one of the most annoying questions. Next to: Is she eating "real food" yet?

UGH.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:57 AM

haha that's awesome.

I took my son to the dr just about 2 days past his first birthday and she asked if I started him on cow's milk yet and I said no, so she said, "Oh, he's still on formula, then?" and when I said no she looked so confused, then looked at me like I was insane. It just didn't occur to her that a one year old could still be breastfeeding.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:23 PM

I know what you mean. The past two times I've visited my aunt and grandma they have asked me how I am supposed to get her to drink cow milk (my 20 month DD HATES cow milk and gags every single time).

I don't CARE if she drinks cow milk. She is NURSING. She is drinking HUMAN MILK. The benefits from cow milk are IN my MAMA milk.

Then they ask what she's gonna drink after she's done breastfeeding. I just told them there are a lot of foods out there that she can get her calcium and proteins from. *shrugs*

So irritating!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM

I can't believe how many people/doctors think cow's milk is necessary. Not only are there perfectly healthy vegan children out there, LOTS of kids are intollerant. It's bizarre. My friend weaned at six months because she was too uncomfortable to nurse in public. It's so sad. Her DD wasn't able to do milk and has been on soy milk only since 12 months.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

As far as the cow's milk thing goes, I was most interested to learn that lactose INtolerance is the norm. It's only in people of European descent who, long ago, evolved to drink cow milk because that's what they had. Considering the world population, lactose tolerance is not normal.

Just like considering the world population, breastfeeding is normal. Hmm... coincidence?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM

For Ava's 2 year check up the PA kept asking all sorts of questionsabout her nursing. She asked, "Does she get a sippy cup?" and I said "No". She gave me this lecture about how she needs to learn to drink from a sippy cup and can't expect to come get nursed every time she is thirsty.

I just gave her a strange look and said, "She drinks from a regular cup."

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List