Mothering Forum banner

Partial weaning?

622 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pbjmama 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is even weaning, but I think I am ready to lower the amount of times my 16mo DD nurses.

Well, maybe I should say I **wish** I could lower it. Is it even possible? I know she won't like me refusing, so I hope there is a better way to convince her that this is all she needs, maybe, or something. I don't know! I am looking for advice!

She STTN. I think I would like to nurse her 3x a day - like morning, after work (when I get another job), and before bed.

I was recently laid off. I used to work 3 days/week while she was in daycare. I nursed her midday, but during the last month (Dec) I stopped going in at lunchtime, and she did fine all day without milkies.

She knows the sign language for milkies, and now that I am home all day she wants to nurse ALL the time, like a newborn almost! Every hour or so.

When she goes out with her Dad for several hours, she eats great. (solids) But when I am at the table with her, like at dinnertime, she eats maybe one or two bites.

I guess I am rambling. Sorry! Looking for advice on how to get her to eat more solids, and maybe that will reduce the requests for milkies...??? Or other ideas to lower the occurence...?

Or maybe I should just be glad the universe is telling me to stay home and nurse her every hour.

Help me, mamas!

See less See more
#3 ·
It sounds like a difficult transition time for you on several fronts
I wonder if you gave it a week or two, if things might calm down for both of you. Perhaps she's even trying to raise your daytime supply again right now, and will nurse less once that happens?

#4 ·
My experience has been that "partial weaning" is only possible when I am not physically with my child. When I am working, he's fine with nursing once a day. He does great with other foods. But on the weekends? He asks a lot. And I'm okay with that so far. (he's almost 2!)

#5 ·
I also think 3x a day is pretty low for a 16 month old. If you want to work towards less nursing I would suggest not saying "no" but saying something like "after we put on shoes" or "you can have milk when it is time for nap" and immediately offer a snack/distraction. I also think it is important to consider that she may not be asking for the nutritional reasons, just that she wants to connect with you and be held.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.