Salty "weaning" milk and plugged ducts when NOT pregnant? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I have never posted here before, but my daughter is 18 months and still nurses several times during the day and night. I am cycling (have been for over a year, despite following all the rules for extended breastfeeding infertility ). I recently read Adventures in Tandem Nursing, which was the first I had heard of temporary "weaning milk" production in some mothers about 10 days before and/or 10 days after ovulation. Since I would occasionally get painful plugged ducts, I decided to mark those days on my chart, and whaddaya know! Salty weaning milk 10 days before and 10 days after ovulation.

So here is my problem ... I will often get these plugged ducts that become very painful, and breast massage under warm water always makes my breast sore for a day or two afterward. I thought these plugged ducts were due to decreased suckling by my DD bc she didn't like salty milk, but yesterday and last night were completely normal in terms of her nursing frequency. Still, in the middle of the night, I had huge engorgement and I am miserable today. Painful red breast/areola with what feels like a huge knot on top and right underneath the nipple. Ouch. I also finished a course of antibiotics this morning. Do you think this could be thrush? DD seems normal, no signs. Just engorgement/plugged duct? Due to less DD taking less milk, or a surge in hormones before ovulation? Is there anything I can do to prevent this every freaking cycle? Anybody else have this problem?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page