Nervous about nursing while pregnant.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are wanting to get pregnant again. My second child is 3 1/2 and still nursing strong. Very strong. Many many times a day and at night. DD 1 weaned at age two right before I got pregnant with ds, so I never nursed while pregnant before. I am nervous because I had preterm labor with pregnancy number 1 and a lot of early contractions with pregnancy number 2. I am worried about the nursing leading to contractions/preterm labor and having to wean suddenly because of it. DS could not handle that, I'm pretty sure he would lose his little mind.

My OB seems to think it's fine, he says people do it all the time (have I mentioned that I LOVE my OB?) but I just worry. Can anyone maybe share their experience with nursing while pregnant and reassure me? Or, and be honest here, tell me if it was a problem for them?

Thanks!
Mary
#2 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 AM

Dd is an enthusiastic nurser... Nursed all the way through pregnancy. Didn't come close to causing premature labor... ds was 43 weeks 5 days

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 01:00 AM

no problems here. my 3 yo nursed alot...still does...his little brother was 42.5 weeks.
#4 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 AM

Congratulations on TTC! :-)

(I also have a 3.5 DS, and I know how finicky they can be!! )

Regarding your post: as with most things, it all depends on you, and your particular circumstance.

Some women have high-risk pregnancies and are at higher risk for miscarriage or pre-term labor. If you are in this category, your OB/Midwife should be advising you not only against breastfeeding, but also against intercourse/orgasm.

Considering that your trusted doc said you are free from any type of limitation, it seems that you would be fine to proceed as you are.

If complications arise later, which would require you to limit any potentially uterine-stimulating activities, you can work with your son on developing a temporary comfort measure (just until baby is past the 'danger zone', usually 35 weeks).

Since every pregnancy can be different, you could enlist DS to help devise some alternative (temporary) comfort strategies, just in case. Some kids like back rubs, stroking their hair, cuddling, being put in a sling/wrap, being read to . . . You could remind him that he is giving a gift to his new sibling by abstaining for a few months; given his age, he may feel very important and special that he is sacrificing for baby (this works/ed for my 3 y/o). Try talking about what having a baby sibling will be like . . . just like an adult, reminding him of the goal can help ease the sacrifice.

Also, even if you are limited, it might be okay for him still to nurse in short intervals, maybe a few minutes would be within a safe margin, whereas 20 minutes might be too much.

Check with your health team, and listen to your body's signals . . . please do not base your choice on what others did/do, every mama's body handles pregnancy different -- what was safe for another mama, might put your particular pregnancy at risk.

Communication is probably going to be the best thing here. You may choose to begin discussing this issue with DS right NOW -- BEFORE you even conceive -- depending on his reaction, you might even decide to give him a bit more time before going ahead with the new sibling.

Another thing to consider, those 1st trimester nipples ---- some moms end up quite sensitive. I think it is great that many loving mamas martyr their way through, but, you may find that 'all day and all night' could be a bit more than hormonal nipples can stand.

Best Wishes!

Jeanette-
#5 of 8 Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to BBI

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 8 Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM

I am 35 weeks pregnant and nursing my 18 month old. Not much milk/colostrum there, but she still wants to nurse. I had a bout of contractions (now know was because of UTI) and the midwife told me I needed to bump it down to one nursing session every other day until the contractions stopped. So we, well we tried, lol. Got down to once a day. Anyway, that did the trick so now we are back to normal and now that the UTI is gone so are the contractions. So I wouldn't worry too much about having to wean because even if it it does start causing any issues you probably won't have to completely wean.

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

#7 of 8 Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Hmmm. Not sure if my experience helps much, but... my first nursed throughout my entire pregnancy (he turned 3 within a week of the next one's birth at 40+1, w/ 2nd trimester bleeding after injury) *even though* my milk production dropped, then stopped. He didn't care! And, when the milk came back, it was immediately obvious. If I had somehow missed the change in his bowel movements, I definitely could not have missed his "Mmm! Yay!" and his eyes bugging out when my milk returned! He was thrilled!
#8 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I nursed all through my pregnancy and halfway through labor at 40 weeks. Both boys are still nursing together happily 6 months later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page