Breastfeeding toddler can't get over stomach flu while nursing... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is a little over two. He still nurses quite a bit at night. He got the stomach flu (given, a bad one...my DH had it also) last Thursday. He stopped vomiting during the day on Saturday. He has thrown up though, every early morning around 3/4 a.m.

I am fairly certain he just can't handle the breast milk or he is having some reflux issues (he had some as an infant) that were triggered by the intense early vomiting.

I was just going to wait it out but that seems cruel to him. Weaning him abruptly also seems cruel. He is fine during the day. He isn't eating much and I can see that he has lost a bit of weight. His energy level is pretty depleted also. He is not dehydrated though (DH is a doctor -- for grown ups).

I can't bear to go to the doctor b/c I just know they will say to wean him.

Any suggestions?

(x-post at Toddler and Health)
#2 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is he getting any probiotics? I don't know if they're appropriate, but it might be worth a try.
#3 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 PM

My son had a similar bug and after a few days of vomiting even my bm it became the only thing he kept down. He had it for 2 weeks. The last week or so he would do the same thing... wake up at 3 am to puke and go back to bed. Hang in there mama! I definately wouldn't stop nursing.

hh2.gif

#4 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM

DON"T STOP NURSING!!!! The docs said it kept my little one off of an IV!!!! Mine was a pukey little guy until a few months ago - the stomach flu just made it worse - elevate him at night and have a bowl/towel handy! It will pass.

still learning
#5 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

the same thing happened to my niece. my sister told me the story. the md said the child was having a reation to dairy and said her breastmilk was dairy and that she should stop breastfeeding. her child also had a stomach flu and was vomiting for a week at that time. she weaned i would like to suggest to you what i wouldve suggested to her if i had a chance. keep nursing, but cut your diet down to a very select few foods. cut out all dairy, try to live on fruit, nuts, spinach, potatoes with marg not butter, hempseeds and hempmilk(u can get it at a health store) dried fruit... you get the gist. try to cut the allergens from your diet, or at least try cutting dairy and i think it will help. your milk probably is what is keeping him hydrated as a pp stated. but maybe ingesting dairy is just bad for us.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#6 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 PM

I personally don't think this situation calls for an elimination diet. Of course, if you think it would help go for it, but since you aren't a cow... your milk is not dairy. Now is also a good time to offer popsicles and other frozen treats as they are easier to get down. I bet that 3 am vomit will stop within a week or so.

hh2.gif

#7 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I personally don't think this situation calls for an elimination diet. Of course, if you think it would help go for it, but since you aren't a cow... your milk is not dairy.

in case it wasn't clear from my post, i agree our milk is not dairy, so my supposition is that the reaction was from the dairy in the mother's diet, just to help them through the upset tummy time

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#8 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
in case it wasn't clear from my post, i agree our milk is not dairy, so my supposition is that the reaction was from the dairy in the mother's diet, just to help them through the upset tummy time
Oh no, I got that!

hh2.gif

#9 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 09:34 PM

I can't believe that a doc would say to wean during a stomach flu! ALL the docs I've ever encountered -even the Anti Breasteeding UAV ones ALWAYS said that if the child is sick you offer breast milk!!! Offer him smaller ammounts during the day and allow his stomach time to heal itself. Let his body fight off this infection and take it's natural path.

Breastfeed MORE often druing the day, Breastfeed on demand, Popsicles, Pedialite if he'll drink it (not that it helps...but some kids like it) and slowly allow foods when he's ready. He's getting all he needs from you for now- let him get over the flu before you worry about what he's eating Hang in there!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#10 of 17 Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockys View Post
DS is a little over two. He still nurses quite a bit at night. He got the stomach flu (given, a bad one...my DH had it also) last Thursday. He stopped vomiting during the day on Saturday. He has thrown up though, every early morning around 3/4 a.m.

I am fairly certain he just can't handle the breast milk or he is having some reflux issues (he had some as an infant) that were triggered by the intense early vomiting.

I was just going to wait it out but that seems cruel to him. Weaning him abruptly also seems cruel. He is fine during the day. He isn't eating much and I can see that he has lost a bit of weight. His energy level is pretty depleted also. He is not dehydrated though (DH is a doctor -- for grown ups).

I can't bear to go to the doctor b/c I just know they will say to wean him.

Any suggestions?

(x-post at Toddler and Health)
i don't think breastmilk is hurting him. with LOs, stomach viruses just linger sometimes. they can stop vomiting for a couple days, then vomit again out of the blue. DD does this every time she gets a stomach thing, and i always freak out--lol. then i remember she always does it!

trust me, you don't need to wean him

but if you think he might be extra sensitive to something in your diet right now, you could try eliminating it for the time being (e.g. dairy).

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#11 of 17 Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM

Is it possible that because of the time of "morning" that he is nursing, that you have a much larger supply at that time, and it is too much volume for his sensitive tummy right now? Maybe make sure that he only nurses for a short time, and make sure it stays down before nursing some more. Just an idea

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#12 of 17 Old 03-18-2009, 12:58 AM

We just went through the flu bug here and when my dd was 5 months old she got the flu for the first time. The doctor at the children's hospital emergency assured me that even in cases of poison they can't get all of their stomach's contents out.

As long as your nursing, your little one can't throw it all up so is getting the sugars and water needed. I also would recommend you just keep nursing through. You cutting out cow's milk (or whatever you think may be triggering it) won't hurt but I would bet it's the flu more than anything.

I know it sucks to go through so I hope you all heal ASAP! (I got it right after my dd did ~ stock up on your vitamins for her, you and your milk.)

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle, mom to Samantha ~ non vaxed
#13 of 17 Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM

I found that when my LO had a yucky stomach bug that it helped him a lot more if I ate like I was sick too. Blander foods, more liquids, soups, crackers, rice, chicken....I made my milk much easier for his tummy to hold. Of course, I learned this the hard way, after being puke-free for almost 36 hours, he nursed and then threw it all back up on me...I had eaten salsa at lunchtime the previous day!!

Charity - BW, BF, Co-Sleeping WOHM to Gracie (1/06) & Zachary (11/07)-WOW! I'm crunchier than I thought!! :
#14 of 17 Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM

OP how's it going?

hh2.gif

#15 of 17 Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkbarMom View Post
Is it possible that because of the time of "morning" that he is nursing, that you have a much larger supply at that time, and it is too much volume for his sensitive tummy right now? Maybe make sure that he only nurses for a short time, and make sure it stays down before nursing some more. Just an idea
My thoughts exactly! BM is the best thing for him, but an upset tummy and sleepy nursing might mean he's getting overly full. I hope he's doing better!
#16 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I know breastfeeding was the right thing for him. It was just so frustrating to have him nurse and immediately vomit it back up. The throwing up stopped...after seven days. Now it is coming out the other end, so we are still up all night. Now I am SO GLAD I am still nursing. He needs the hydration.

This is a bad, bad bug. DH is a doctor and never gets sick. He had is so bad he needed fluids in the hospital. My oldest son got it and is still sick. Three babysitters (I have two special needs kids, so have a lot of help), one mother of the babysitter and my step-father all got it.

I am just so over the whole thing.

Thanks again for the support!
#17 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Sounds like what we had. You're in the home stretch!

hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page