How did your hormones react to your toddler weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard a few people say that their hormones were on a much more even keel after weaning. I've heard others say that weaning threw them into some sort of PPD. I've been thinking about how someday my almost 3yo is not going to nurse. I've also recently realized I have a hormone imbalance that makes me crazy and depressed during af and even a little throughout the rest of my cycle sometimes. I'm going to start taking some really good vitamins, fish oil, and maybe some herbs to try to balance things out, but my mw suggested I might feel better after weaning. She didn't encourage me to at all, but just mentioned the possibility. What do you think? What was your experience?
#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM

My just-turned 3 year old is down to 1 minute of nursing at night before bed. Fortunately I'm pregnant, so I haven't had any milk for a while. I thought I'd be very emotional about weaning, but I'm just so damn glad it is about over. (Nursing while pregnant hasn't been a good experience for me.) However, if I wasn't pregnant, I bet I'd be pretty hormonal and emotional about it. It is a big transition for mama.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 AM

My hormones are very wacky right now, and we just weaned a few weeks ago. It's been rough. Nursing wasn't pleasant for me anymore, but I am very weepy and emotional now. I'm hoping that it will even out soon.
#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I've heard a few people say that their hormones were on a much more even keel after weaning. I've heard others say that weaning threw them into some sort of PPD. I've been thinking about how someday my almost 3yo is not going to nurse. I've also recently realized I have a hormone imbalance that makes me crazy and depressed during af and even a little throughout the rest of my cycle sometimes. I'm going to start taking some really good vitamins, fish oil, and maybe some herbs to try to balance things out, but my mw suggested I might feel better after weaning. She didn't encourage me to at all, but just mentioned the possibility. What do you think? What was your experience?
Oh gosh, I can totally relate. My LO is 15mo and he is still nursing 8+ times a day. I feel so different and I keep saying my hormones are so out of whack. I got AF back at 4mo pp and it wasnt too long after that that I started feeling just out of it. Its not always bad every month but I do feel moody, emotional, anxiety, etc. And the major thing is I have no libido. I dont know if its related to bfng or not but it has to be. I was not like this pre-preggo. I still havent found an answer as to how our hormones are affected with extended BFng when you are menstruating. If you find out let me know. Glad to see im not alone.
#5 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Whoa, so glad to read this! My three year old has now gone 6 days without nursing and my hormones have been whacko! I have been taking vitacost's hormone balance blend and drinking occasional yogi tea's woman's formula. I do notice that the days I forget to do both I seem more snappy. Since this is an older post, how long did it seem to take your hormone levels to regulate after weaning your toddlers?

#6 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsmommy View Post

Quote:

Oh gosh, I can totally relate. My LO is 15mo and he is still nursing 8+ times a day. I feel so different and I keep saying my hormones are so out of whack. I got AF back at 4mo pp and it wasnt too long after that that I started feeling just out of it. Its not always bad every month but I do feel moody, emotional, anxiety, etc. And the major thing is I have no libido. I dont know if its related to bfng or not but it has to be. I was not like this pre-preggo. I still havent found an answer as to how our hormones are affected with extended BFng when you are menstruating. If you find out let me know. Glad to see im not alone.

Chang 15 months to 17 and you have my situation exactly. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one with a nonexistent libido; maybe that's nature's way of spacing babies out. Sometimes I feel I'm neglecting DH but I'm so touched out most days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page