Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant and nursing - did your toddler start nursing more when milk came back?

7K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Tamsyn 
#1 ·
Ds is 29 months and asks to nurse on average every two days - mainly in the early morning when he's transitioning from asleep to awake. I'm about 8 months pregnant and he started to cut back a lot around 20 weeks - I'm pretty sure that's when my milk dried up. I'm wondering if he will start nursing more when my milk comes back with #2 - I'm due June 5. I'm sure every situation is different but I'm just wondering what others have experienced...

#2 ·
I think the majority of kids increase significantly when mom gets milk back in. A common complaint is that 'my kids was only nursing 2x a day and now I have two that are nursing like newborns! But, even if that happens it seems to taper off after a few months. Good luck, mama!

#4 ·
My toddler has increased nursing to several times a day since the baby arrived, she wants to nurse as much as the baby. Before, she would nurse 3x per day (when there was no milk while preggo), more so prior to the pregnancy. She wasn't happy when the milk dried up and is therefore now delighted that there is plenty of milk again.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
My toddler got really chunky on new baby milk. People even noticed! LOL. Definitely an increase after all these weeks of drought... then again mine never really slowed down even while complaining that the 'ninnies were ALL GONE!'.
: All my older nurslings would plump up during the first few months after baby was born. My second born, who nursed through two pregnancies, was very excited at the thought of the "really good babymilk" that he remembered from when his sister was born when his little brother was born.

#10 ·
Yes, he would nurse 24/7 if I let him, but I don't. It's amazing how he loves to nurse now. I'm actually only letting him nurse for bed time and nap time, as well as those traumatic moments for soothing. Now when I tell him it's bedtime, he runs into bed, pulls up the covers and giggles as I lay down next to him. And now he actually goes to sleep because there's some substance to the milk. He loved to nurse while I was pregnant, but never requested it like he does now.

#11 ·
my toddler didn't know what to do with the milk when it came in. she would let it pool in her mouth and then fall out when she pulled off. i think she was pretend nursing before, otherwise i don't know how to explain it. i let her try for a few weeks, but it was feeling weird and she mostly seemed ok when i said no, so she is done.

i am kind of sad as i am writing this because this is not the way i saw this ending and i intended to tandem. But i feel like i gave it a try and you can hear a different perspective.

#12 ·
Hello,

My DD is 22 months and I am due May 25th with no. 3. This is the first time I have nursed through pregnancy and DD is still going strong. My milk has not dried up and she loves to nurse. I can only imagine what it's going to be like when the baby gets here and the milk comes. It would be nice to see her pudge up as she is little thing...

I would also like to know, if the OP doesn't mind me asking, how were the toddlers' reaction to a new nursing baby? This has been my concern.

#13 ·
My Ds stopped nursing while I was pregnant 4 months.. It hurt like he
!! he was then 22months old. After I had the baby in Oct./09 he started back up again and now 6 months later he wants to nursey ALL THE TIME!!! he is crazy for thr yummy milk now.. I don't know what to do as I live with my inlaws and nobody approves.. But I know it's best for him and sneak it at nap/bed time...

#14 ·
"if the OP doesn't mind me asking, how were the toddlers' reaction to a new nursing baby?"

The first time my DS saw DD nursing he started screaming! I hadn't planned on tandem nursing at the same time, but when he saw that I decided to try it immediately. DS saw that he could nurse, nursed for about 20 seconds and was happy, because he knew he COULD nurse. He often sees DD nursing and asks to nurse, but I tell him he has to wait. When I tandem nurse them though, he looks at her with fascination. Now, after a month, he's adapted and he knows he gets a turn to nurse, so he does fine.

My question for OP is that if you have any tips for nursing simultaneously can you share? We have a twin nursing pillow and it's too small for my toddler and the baby has a hard time latching with it. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.