22-month old toddler nursing all the time.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I've had a wonderful nursing relationship with my DS, now 22 months, but right now I'm feeling very burned out. He has been pretty slow to solids, and nurses a ton still. For a while he had cut back, but lately he has been working on his 2 year old molars, and is nursing somewhere around 11 times/24 hours. He definitely is eating solids now, but small amounts, and I think it is just easier and faster for him to fill up on nursing and get back to playing instead of going through the work of eating solid food. I always offer a snack before nursing him, and sometimes he takes me up on it, but not always.

I'm just wondering how to best meet his needs at this point--should I just keep nursing on demand and trust that his solids intake will increase and his need to nurse decrease, or is he telling me that he needs me to help him transition to less nursing and more actual eating? I do want to continue to nurse, I'm not contemplating weaning, just thinking about cutting back... thoughts? Sorry this is long, just feeling the need to vent a bit!

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#2 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM

My DD nursed like a fiend around 22mos. It's probably just a phase, but it was soooo hard for me to handle and I feel your pain. I cut DD down after a few weeks of indulging her. I didn't tell her what I was doing--I just arranged for us to be out of the house all morning, then we'd come home for lunch and nursing, then go out again.

I did tell her that we were only nursing in one particular chair at home, and that helped. But I'm doing some gentle MLW now so I'm not sure if you would be comfortable with that restriction.

Good luck!

Oh--just remembered another thing I did. I let her pick out a new cup and plate, and that sparked an interest in eating/drinking a bit more.

Mommy to DD 5-07
#3 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

My 28 month old still nurses like this. I go through periods of feeling really burnt out and wanting to wean interspersed with times where I'm really okay with nursing her frequently and savoring the her as still a baby. I try to make sure I have a book or can go online while she nurses during the periods I'm burnt out. And I really try to keep up on housework - I tend to resent nursing more when I'm feeling stressed out about housework/meal prep/etc... and she's bugging me about it when I do that stuff.
#4 of 10 Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. It always makes me feel better to know I'm not alone, especially when most of my friends have weaned or at least way cut back...

#5 of 10 Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 AM

Dd nursed TONS right around that age, and by 6-8 months later had cut back significantly (for her...)

-Angela
#6 of 10 Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Dd nursed TONS right around that age, and by 6-8 months later had cut back significantly (for her...)

-Angela
Good to know!

#7 of 10 Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think this is a very common experience. I often read "nursing all the time" posts from people around 17-23 months AND its also common to read that kids really decrease their intake after their second birthday. Now, what that means for *you* isn't so clear, but it is definately a visable trend.

#8 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I think this is a very common experience. I often read "nursing all the time" posts from people around 17-23 months AND its also common to read that kids really decrease their intake after their second birthday. Now, what that means for *you* isn't so clear, but it is definately a visable trend.
I think you're right, I've noticed this trend too. I'm also hopeful that his eating will pick up and his nursing drop off when the molars are in....

#9 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 AM

My daughter was the same way at that age. Then, at about 23 months, I found out I was pregnant and decided I needed (for my own sanity and to prepare for baby #2) to switch her from mostly nursing (for sustenance) to mostly eating. It took me about one week (maybe a little more) which showed me she was ready for it. I did not sit on the floor or couch at all when she was awake for that entire time. For the first time since she was born I didn't wear "easy access" shirts (I had mostly worn v-necks). I kept snacks out all day long** so she could access them (rather than offering her a snack when she asked to nurse). I kept a kleen kanteen sippy with water where she could reach it (and brought it to her attention/offered it to her). I also used distraction...a lot of outside playtime helped.

The harder part turned out to be remembering to pack snacks to leave the house--I was so unaccustomed to that!

**I actually provided her with a snack tray every day after breakfast...the tray was a 6-muffin tin. I would put in olives, crackers, raisins, carrot sticks, etc. She got bored with these after awhile but not before it had done the trick!

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#10 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
My daughter was the same way at that age. Then, at about 23 months, I found out I was pregnant and decided I needed (for my own sanity and to prepare for baby #2) to switch her from mostly nursing (for sustenance) to mostly eating. It took me about one week (maybe a little more) which showed me she was ready for it. I did not sit on the floor or couch at all when she was awake for that entire time. For the first time since she was born I didn't wear "easy access" shirts (I had mostly worn v-necks). I kept snacks out all day long** so she could access them (rather than offering her a snack when she asked to nurse). I kept a kleen kanteen sippy with water where she could reach it (and brought it to her attention/offered it to her). I also used distraction...a lot of outside playtime helped.

The harder part turned out to be remembering to pack snacks to leave the house--I was so unaccustomed to that!

**I actually provided her with a snack tray every day after breakfast...the tray was a 6-muffin tin. I would put in olives, crackers, raisins, carrot sticks, etc. She got bored with these after awhile but not before it had done the trick!
Great ideas and encouraging story--thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page