Nursing twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone out there still nursing twins? Mine are 17 months and I pretty much nurse on demand. They nurse during the day and at night. I would like to bring the nursing to an end when they are around 2. Any advise on how to slowly lead to that? They both really seem to need it right now and I don't want it to be a stressful experience for them. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 PM

No advise here. You read my post. My son also doesn't really like solids yet. Do yours eat solids well?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 AM

I'm not currently nursing my twins, but we made it to a little over two years. Things slowed up naturally on their own-- I used the "don't offer/don't refuse" technique. They had quit nursing to sleep at night, and had spaced out morning nursings around the time they turned two. Then I got pregnant, and my supply dropped significantly. They weaned on their own within days of each other, but being pregnant was probably a huge contributer.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 AM

My twins were very actively nursing (26 months) until two weeks ago when one got a virus with sores in his mouth and he quit cold turkey. It was stressful on him initially, but he still refuses to nurse. My other twin is more than happy to get both sides at a time! I thought I would be nursing them until they were much older, so i guess you never can really plan these things.

I agree with pp about not offering/ not refusing. It seems like we can get so busy it's easy to distract them into doing something else. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion of - don't offer/don't refuse.
My boys do eat solids and are doing well with them - if getting a little picky. I love this age and know I am going to miss it :-)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Wow mama! I don't have any advice, just wanted to "wow" you for nursing twins beyond infancy! Hooray for all of you!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Mine are almost 16 months. I intended on doing clw. . . but have had some rough patches. . . you know the drill; touched out bad, pain from so many teeth, normal toddler nursing behavior x2. But I wasn't ready to give it up completely. I just needed them to nurse less. So I did on demand until month 13. Nightweaned in the 14th month (so much easier than I had anticipated). In the 15th month I cut their day feedings down to 3-4 times a day. This was with dh's help (as was the nightweaning). DS has responded very well to it, and would probably be fine nursing even less. He usually doesn't think of nursing until dd is on my lap. DD wants it all the time, talks about it all the time, asks other women for it. So sometimes she gets more when ds isn't looking/sleeping. That was the big struggle for me - that they wanted it different amounts/times/reasons and coming to a conclusion that the three of us could be comfortable with. The way they nurse now, I have not set a deadline. I"m open to suggestions from them.
**eta** I would start w/ nightweaning. Some like Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan. When one asks for milk, offer a drink or snack or activity. I tried to have a cold beverage, exotic snack, exciting activity or toy ready to go when they woke from nap. Those were the nursing times I cut out first.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions esaesa. The night nursing is usually only 1-2x per night and seems to be related to teething or growth spirt. During the day it is usually 3-4x. When we are busy and out they can go quite awhile w/o. I am really happy that nursing worked out so well for us and we managed to not do a bottle or supplement - very blessed.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM

I'm nursing my 12 month old twins. I nursed my older dc's until 3 years old (ds1) and 2-1/2 years old (dd1) so I can see myself doing something similar with the twins. I do think that I might do some form of nightweaning earlier than 2 years of age (which is when I encouraged it with my older dc's) especially is they keep up with the current demand of 5+ times/night.

The don't offer/don't refuse approach is good along with just keeping busy.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

User Tag List