Lactation suppression while still nursing. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't want to get into the whole story here so please don't give me a hard time. I need for my milk to dry up 100% but still want to allow my daughter to dry-nurse for comfort (she is 2 years old). I have been wearing a sports bra and taking lots of sage tincture. I have limited her to only nursing from one side, hoping the other just dries up (I have stopped needing to hand express from that non-used side, although it leaks a tiny bit on occasion). She currently nurses at naptime and usually once mid-nap, in addition to bed time and multiple times during the night. So...there is not a ton of milk but I need it to be gone as soon as possible but as safely as possible. Of course I am hesitant to take anything hormonal as it will get to passed to DD for a short time but I'm not sure what my other options are. Perhaps this should be in H&H??? I love my DD's pedi and she has helped me thus far but she just started her maternity leave and I don't know what kind of help I'll get from her back up. I will be calling but wanted any wisdom from you all as well. TIA!!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Honestly, since nursing is such a supply-and-demand game, I really don't think you're going to dry up as long as she's stimulating the breast. I'm sorry. It all sounds very frustrating.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree

If it's a health reason that she can't have the milk, I don't think there is any way to make it safe.

-Angela

#4 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i also don't think that'll work. you may be able to get it mostly dried up, but i don't think it'll completely go away if she's still at the breast. lots of moms who've nursed before can stimulate lactation for an adopted baby just by putting baby on the breast.

having said that, cabbage leaves in your bra dry up your milk pretty quickly, so it couldn't hut to try that.
#5 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts. yes, i forgot to mention i have been using cabbage too although i need to use it more. i guess i really do need to wean her which i don't want to do. ugh. she doesn't take any other sucking item for comfort. i am so torn but really appreciate the info that no matter what, she'll be getting some milk if she's sucking. i'm not surprised of course, but i was just really hoping there was a way...

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#6 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 AM

This sounds so hard, and I'm so sorry. You're a fabulous mama, and have given your daughter such a gift by nursing her for two years! I wish you the best of luck.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you mind sharing why? Even in a PM I may have some ideas. I had a mom that needed breast surgery and we did some things...

hh2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page