setting limits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 26 months. i'm not looking to wean, but i'd like to nurse LESS.

right now, on the days she's home (she's at daycare 3 x/week), she usually nurses at wake-up, a couple times before lunch, before nap, after nap, maybe one more time before dinner, and after dinner, and bed.

so that's what--8 times a day? and she usually doesnt nurse overnight (but she does sometimes) but will usually nurse once in the early morning, then again at her "final" wake-up. i'd say it's a minimum of 6 times and sometimes as many as 10 in a 24 hour period.

this is just too much for me. i'm beginning to feel like a slave to nursing. i guess i am comfortable with wake-up, before nap, maybe after nap (she wakes up groggy and nursing usually helps her mood), after dinner, and bedtime--so 4-5 times a day.

how do i go about setting this limit? do i just tell her when she is nursing, say at wake-up time, "okay, DD--remember, no more nursing till x time?"--so she knows what's coming--or do i not broach it until she asks?

today when i was nursing her post-nap, i told her (gently) no more nursing till after dinner, and she asked a couple times, but then i reminded her we would nurse after dinner, and she did fine with it--no crying or anything.

my other question is, on the days she's at daycare, it's going to be hard to hold her to fewer nursings in the evening. is that okay? can we have a different routine on those days (i.e. nurse both before AND after dinner?)? she always wants to nurse as soon as DH brings her inside the house, and i don't want to stop doing that, but it will be inconsistent with our other days.

i hope this makes sense!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM

I think she is probably old enough to have it explained and given reminders about the new schedule. I haven't cut down on day nursing with my 2.5 yo but we nightweaned at 28 mos and the explanations and reminders worked well for DD.

I was just doing some reading on this (in Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) and it was suggested if you are cutting out nursing sessions to be sure to substitute other attachment activities for those. So if you are only nursing after wake up and not again until nap, remind DD when you finish the am nursing, then have sit-down cuddle time or reading or whatever when she would normally nurse, so she doesn't miss out on the comfort. Also, it was suggested to offer a snack and drink before the child would normally nurse, so the nutrition need gets met before she realizes it.

Also to begin with it may be helpful to have lots of activities on those first days. My DD asks much more frequently when we are hanging around at home.

I would think that you could have different "rules" on daycare and non-daycare days. I think you may need to offer a lot of reminders about it when you are doing it so it isn't confusing, but it should work once she gets used to the new way.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiva View Post
I was just doing some reading on this (in Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) and it was suggested if you are cutting out nursing sessions to be sure to substitute other attachment activities for those. So if you are only nursing after wake up and not again until nap, remind DD when you finish the am nursing, then have sit-down cuddle time or reading or whatever when she would normally nurse, so she doesn't miss out on the comfort. Also, it was suggested to offer a snack and drink before the child would normally nurse, so the nutrition need gets met before she realizes it.
that makes a lot of sense. i think sometimes asking to nurse is just asking for mama's attention, kwim? and if i make a more concerted effort to give her that (reading a book together, coloring together, going to the park), then limiting nursing should be doable.

funny how most people seem to nightwean before limiting daytime nursing...even when we have a "bad" night (like last night, nursing at 3:30, 6:00, and 7:00 before up at 8), the night nursing never bugs me as much as the day nursing. i guess i'm too groggy to care!

or then again, maybe her night nursing isn't as constant as some kids' either.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 PM

I've recently "scheduled" my 26mo's nursing in order to cut back on sessions. it's worked really, really well for us. I NEVER scheduled before she was 2, but around her birthday I started to make consistent times to nurse--morning, before nap, after nap, and bed. I cut out the mid-morning and mid-afternoon sessions by just being out doing fun things so I never had to say a word about them. Then I explained to her that we weren't going to nurse after nap anymore. When she wakes up, I greet her with her cup with a "treat" in it--diluted juice. She's usually thrilled.

I agree with offering food and drink BEFORE she would normally ask to nurse. I also found that lots of snuggles made the transition easier for her. I've really liked that part of the transition b/c I've never been overly enthused about nursing and she's never been that spontaneously snuggly, so that has been a welcome change.

My DD has always been very attached to nursing. This has been surprisingly consensual, though. Good luck!

Mommy to DD 5-07

User Tag List