Mothering Forum banner

ready to stop

404 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  anudi01 
#1 ·
my daughter is almost 3 and i want to stop nursing her. for some reason i just can't confront it and instead i just live with the resentment and irritation. she loves it though which makes it hard.

i've been nursing for five years straight now and i just feel done.

i don't even know how to wean her but as each day passes if feel like just stopping. i would love some suggestions on how to speed the process.

i weaned my son when my daughter was born. there was so much change in the air that it wasn't hard.

any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
When my son was 3, I remember feeling some irritation and resentment at his wanting to nurse ALL THE TIME!! I was tandeming with my younger daughter at the time...and I was just TOUCHED OUT! I eventually got over my feelings and they ended up self weaning when my milk dried up during my 3rd pregnancy. Well, that is probably not what you want to hear. But I sympathize.

So anyway, two things come to mind.

1) How often is she nursing? If often, would setting some limits make it less irritating for you? When my son started self-limiting, I found myself missing the connection of nursing. I think that made the big difference in my ability to keep our nursing relationship a positive thing.

2) Perhaps you could take some herbs to help dry up your milk and see if the lack of milk causes your child to become less interested.

Good Luck...I know this is so hard. You are such a wonderful Mama for nursing for 3 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.