No More Milk Tea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the best forum, so please move it if CLW would be more appropriate.

My dd is 21 months old, and nursing is no longer mutually beneficial for us. I'm proud that we made it as long as we did, and overcame the challenge of MRSA-mastitis and surgery at 5 weeks old, but I'm ready to be done. I'd ideally like her to be completely weaned a month from now before we go on vacation, but I'm willing to take it slower if necessary.

I found a tea called No More Milk Tea that has sage in it, I was wondering if anyone has used this to help wean, and how long it took for your milk to dry up? What else should I be doing to help her wean?

Thanks for any advice you have!
Lana
#2 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

No one has used the tea? Bummer, I was hoping y'all would have some advice for me.

I've been reading more, and I think we're just gonna have to be sleepless for a few nights and do Jay Gordon's method. Then we'll work on finding some way to distract during the day. (Oh, how I dread that! She is such a focused and demanding baby when she wants her mama milk! LOL)

Thanks for reading. And if you have any advice on how to wean an almost 22-month-old, I'd love to hear it.

Lana
#3 of 9 Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

I don't know anything about Jay Gordon's method but I would try distracting first during the day and gradually decreasing the nursing sessions leaving her fave/most needed sessions for last.

Never tried the tea but it sounds like a good idea.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#4 of 9 Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 PM

I think you haven't gotten replies because making your milk dry up to wean isn't a popular method here. And some children nurse mainly for comfort, so milk/no milk isn't going to make a big difference.

I would gradually decrease nursing sessions and the amount of time for each nursing session. Depending on how much she is nursing now you could do it in 3 weeks. Vacation may bring stress and the desire to nurse again. Good luck.
#5 of 9 Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM

I would skip the milk tea and use distraction as well. As someone who had a ds who nursed 10-12 times a day even why my milk supply was nill. I don't think milk supply will make a difference. Try daytime first and then the night. We still nurse one time a day. But, we were able to get from 10-12 times a day in less than two months and nightweaned in that same time frame. My ds was 30 months so he is older but nursing was his life. I did a modified version of Jay Gordons plan and had only one of sleepless nights and it was only after 4am so it was not bad.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#6 of 9 Old 08-29-2009, 06:21 PM

I have read how sage tea can dry up your milk---it has an effect on your hormones; I don't remember which way (I think it's anti-estrogenic? it also will decrease a heavy period?) but I've also heard of menopausal women drinking sage tea.

However, milk or no milk the babe is going to want her boobie! So drying up the milk might not have the effect you're looking for.

Happy and in love with my family!
#7 of 9 Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I knew that I might not get a great response, I am so in awe of those of you who nurse for several years!

I'm really not sure that drying up the milk is the way I want to go, it's not as gentle as I'd like to be, but at the same time I am reaching the end of my rope with the twiddling, biting, constant nursing and sleepless nights!

I've been praying for guidance and wisdom to do the right thing for both her and me, and I am leaning away from using the tea for now. I think I'll just plan lots of activities to keep us all really busy and see if that will be enough distraction for her.

I appreciate the input! Thanks a bunch!
Lana
#8 of 9 Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
I'm really not sure that drying up the milk is the way I want to go, it's not as gentle as I'd like to be, but at the same time I am reaching the end of my rope with the twiddling, biting, constant nursing and sleepless nights!
Have you tried a nursing necklace? It may keep those little hands busy while you nurse.
#9 of 9 Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 AM

I bought the same tea. Realistically I figured it is made to lessen the supply of milk when you stop nursing so you don't engorge. In my fantasies I wonder if it could urge child to self wean. If this was the case, i don't see why this would not be gentle...? At almost two, she can eat and drink other things. she would still get the comfort, but not as much milk so maybe she'd get tired of it faster... remember it less often and ask for a snack when she's actually hungry. Good luck and don't feel too guilty. I weaned my first son at 2 and was torn, until I realized that our affection just found new ways to manifest, ways that I liked more actually. and yet I'm no pro, and I'm here again, feeling like I have no idea how to wean my second!

edit:

I've been drinking the tea for little past 24 hours now, and going to the bathroom so much... (I'm not drinking it any more than I usually drink tea) I wonder if it's just trying to dehydrate me, and that way cut of milk. If that is the case, I know the breast milk will be the last thing to dehydrate... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page