Back and forth forever? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost one year old has been switching back and forth a lot. If we are in bed she will nurse the right breast for 10-20 seconds then climb over me to the left then back and forth until she falls asleep. Sometimes it does not bother me but sometimes she drives me crazy.

Has anyone experienced this? Did it continue through toddlerhood or was it just a phase? Any ideas why ten seconds here and then back and forth so quickly so many times? It is funny but extremely annoying.

On top of this she twiddles like crazy. The little woman will fall asleep and STILL one hand will fly up in the air in search of nipple #2. i try to redirect the hand when she is sleeping but she gets upset if the hand grabs anything other than nipple. This is so funny to me but I know it has potential to get ugly in the future.

I wonder why they do this? Tonight after we got out of the shower I was walking to the bedroom holding her and she leaned down to nurse while on my hip. Then she saw nipple #2 and just OMG HAD TO HOLD IT like if she didn't someone else might come along and steal it or something.

Jenn- Geeky momma to one fabulous Tiny Diva (10/27/08)
#2 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 AM

My dd has always twiddled and has gone back and forth for months, I think it's something to do with getting the milk to flow quicker

I just learn to live with it.
#3 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
Then she saw nipple #2 and just OMG HAD TO HOLD IT like if she didn't someone else might come along and steal it or something.
IKR?! I like to compare it to when we go to the cookie jar and get four cookies instead of two. Or two slices of pizza on our plate rather than one. We have to hold them, because someone might steal them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
My dd has always twiddled and has gone back and forth for months, I think it's something to do with getting the milk to flow quicker

I just learn to live with it.
I just want to say that I'm so jealous that your hamster has a hot pink smart car.
#4 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabella View Post

I just want to say that I'm so jealous that your hamster has a hot pink smart car.
I can't take the credit, it just got there somehow.

I forgot to mention, we don't nurse in public anymore, DD will get really mad if she can't twiddle, so I go to the car to nurse It makes the lactivist in me cry but I'm a 34G so I don't know if people really want both my boobs out at the cafe while DD nurses and twiddles
#5 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
but I'm a 34G so I don't know if people really want both my boobs out at the cafe while DD nurses and twiddles
#6 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

haha Britishmama, Luckily she never ever twiddles or fondles or tries to switch off in public (yet). When we are out she is a polite little nurser so I know she is capable. At home I am a jungle gym and drinking fountain all in one. I have huge boobs too and I am already hanging out there just feeding her if she had to twiddle out in public I would definitely have to hide. At home she she even goes for my nipple if it is in my shirt. She is so rude.

terrabella, yes dagny want to hold all my cookies.

I pretended to nurse one of her babydolls once and she dive bombed the poor thing sending it flying across the room and took over on the boob the doll had. So she is very possessive of the milkies.

#7 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:47 PM

See now you know it could be worse!

My DD has to switch and twiddle in public. It's fun at the hospital where I know she HAS to nurse. The doctor is just use to my boob by now. I know the one time the nurses kept covering me up and I'm like hey, she's already mad she at the hospital, covering her boobs up just ticks her off more

Mine is going through the "walking is the most fun thing ever" stage and driving me mad, I think babies/toddlers/preschoolers they all have these phases and sometimes they are short and sometimes they aren't but they always pass, one day
#8 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
I pretended to nurse one of her babydolls once and she dive bombed the poor thing sending it flying across the room and took over on the boob the doll had. So she is very possessive of the milkies.
I laughed so hard that one of my kids came over to check on me!
#9 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

I can definately relate to the switching back and forth thing. Ds started doing this around 18 months and it has only gotten worse (he is now 22 months). He will nurse one side, pop off, and say "udder sigh!" He repeats this over and over. For him, I think it is a way to keep me nursing him because I am starting to limit him (i.e. tell him he has to wait until we get home, etc to nurse). So I think that once he gets it he thinks that if he just keeps asking for the other side then he can prolong the nursing session that he waited to patiently for. I know it is annoying though.

As for the twiddling, thank goodness ds never got into that. I don't think I could handle it, though it seems pretty common among mamas I talk to. For some reason the touching bothers me more than the nursing. So, I feel for you there.
#10 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 01:52 AM

LOL yes, i think its normal for toddlers to go back and forth a lot. I wasnt sure either until a mom in my "mommy/toddler yoga class" was nursing her tot and he did the same thing. she commented on how she wasnt sure it was normal =). since then ive heard it from SO many people. i agree it seems like a tactic to get the milk to flow better since you learn in BF classes that double stimulation increases the flow. I never could stand for my DD to play with or grab my other nipple while nursing on one. I tried to let her at first, recognizing that she knows instinctively how to keep the milk coming, but it was way to sensitive and made my skin crawl. So, i just cover one up with my bra and tank top/shirt after she's done and before i pull out the other one, and i gently move her hand if she tries to hold it over my shirt. I often move her hand to the upper chest, or to the side she is nursing on, keeping her close and cuddly, just not touching my other nipple. She has gotten used to this and doesnt resist me anymore. But, the side to side thing- i've just gotten used to it, its just what we do now- like so many other things we've had to adjust to! =) The wiggling, putting feet and hands up in my face, those things still get irritating and i tell her to please put them down. If she keeps doing it, i sometimes say "are you all done nursing" and she'll start to focus again and stop kicking and playing. good luck!

SAH mommy to 1DD and 1DS on the way.
#11 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 06:20 AM

Oh yes the acrobatic nursing. I remember it well. There were times when mine would try to get all his hands and feet touching the other boob, while at the same time bouncing, humming, and nursing. He would switch back and forth like crazy, just really get into it like performance art or something. at home, I would most of the time just let him do his thing, but if it was irritating me, I would just ask him to chill out and pick a side already. Nowadays he only switches back and forth quickly twice, I think maybe to check which boob has more milk. When he twiddles too hard or my nipple starts to get sore, I just remind him to be gentle. It took lots of positive reinforcement to get to the point where he is gentle most of the time. When we are in public, I ask him not to twiddle, but let him know he can play with my hair, necklace, shirt, hand, whatever. Anyway, the acrobatics was a phase with my son, the switching has reduced, but mostly with prompting from me, and the twiddling continues
#12 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Yep, I have a twiddler and switcher here too! DS is 16 months and it's been going on for about 3-4 months, I've just learned to deal with it. It definitely makes co-sleeping harder though with all the switching because I keep flipping him over to the other side and it wakes me up more. I just keep telling myself it won't last forever
#13 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKim View Post
I keep flipping him over to the other side and it wakes me up more.
i totally let dagny move herself she crawls and jumps back and forth. i often wish someone was here to see this.

#14 of 15 Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 AM

My daughter does the same things! They are probably ways to encourage letdown/ increase supply. I'm not sure how effective it is if she is not spending enough time on each side to stimulate letdown, but I think in general any extra attention the nipples get encourages production. I'd like to crub the twiddling myself... in Dr. Sears' Baby Book, they encourage not letting the baby touch the nipple from the beginning to prevent it, but I didn't feel quite right about that... especially since she used to be so kind :P.
#15 of 15 Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

haha she used to be so kind. oh my...

my daughter definitely acts like she owns the milkies. i think my biggest complain is the fingernails. if i cut them they seem sharp if i don't they did in. she "milks" me and digs her nails in if not into my breasts into my arms. oh it is awful.

and the switching is not entertaining in the wee hours of the morning but i know i will miss it when she no longer nurses.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page