Anyone have an acrobat nurser? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 month old DS has turned into a contortionist . He nurses in a "normal" position for his wake up and bedtime sessions but the others? Good grief its almost a workout for both of us! One of his favorite positions while I'm seated is standing on one of my legs leaning over, meanwhile he's trying hard not to fall off .

He twists and turns himself into these crazy positions and also pops on and off every minute. It's kind of funny but also frustrating. I feel like telling him to get on with it already! Then he climbs off the couch, I'll think he's done so I pull my shirt down. Oh no, he gets upset and climbs back on looking for the boob again. Lather, rinse, repeat several times.

Is this what the rest of our nursing relationship is going to be like or will he settle down again?

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#2 of 24 Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

My second (DD) was like that. She would stand up, try to climb her feet up my shoulder, etc. It was amusing at first, but got to be a real problem. I didn't feel comfortable with her doing this when we NIP and generally got sick of it pretty quickly at home too.

I started telling her that if she was going to nurse that I wanted to be comfortable too and I needed her to sit or lie down and be still while she finished nursing. If she wanted to play that was fine, she could come back to nurse when she was ready to do that. She was pretty much fine with it.
I had to remind her sometimes, but it was no big deal. "Please be still while you're nursing" is all it took.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#3 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so funny! I like the lather, rinse, repeat part,LOL! I can totally relate. my son is 19 months and does this too. He stands up and leans over for booby, then tries to dance and twist. He rolls over me at night too, all the while having a nipple in his mouth or in his strong little fingers. He has taken to twittling too, it is driving me mad,MAD i tell you ! Actually, i am really starting to get sick of nursing because i am pregnant and i am tender, he is such a rough boy, but oh so sweet.
#4 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM

DS has gotten really squirmy too. Our "after work" nursing session is the worst (he too does the sitting/kneeling/standing leaning over for the boob thing for that one).

Generally I'll let him do it for awhile but if it gets to be too much I try swinging him over into the cradle position. That's often enough but sometimes he'll then start twisitng/kicking in that position. If it's really bad, I'll unlatch him (before he twists my nipple off! ), and ask him "All done?" or "More milk?" to see if he'll give me a stronger sign one way or another. If he doesn't want back on right away, or keeps popping off & on, I'll end the session for the time being and offer again later. I sometimes also try pottying him because that can make him squirmy too.

Actually our cat is the worst distraction EVER at the moment. If he even hears the cat his head whips around to find it regardless of whether he's still latched on or not! Usually all it takes is a tap on the cheek with the boob to get him back on if he's really serious about nursing, but other times, that's it for that nursing session - he's kitty obsessed!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#5 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post
Actually our cat is the worst distraction EVER at the moment. If he even hears the cat his head whips around to find it regardless of whether he's still latched on or not! Usually all it takes is a tap on the cheek with the boob to get him back on if he's really serious about nursing, but other times, that's it for that nursing session - he's kitty obsessed!
Oh yea? I have THREE cats!!! So I totally know about kitty obsession . DS does the same thing . Gotta love'm.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#6 of 24 Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM

My DS (17 mo) does this. He nurses in downward dog with his head turned while I'm on my side, or he is laying on his stomach and then tries to put both of his legs on my hip. My least favorite is the scoot - he scoots upwards in the bed on his belly, which is just too much pulling! He has actually gotten a bit better lately, so maybe it's just a phase?

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#7 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 AM

I am so right there with you guys. My 18 month old likes to stand ON MY LAP, bending over, every bit as precarious as it sounds - among other circus tricks. OY!
#8 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 06:47 PM

My 27 month old still does acrobatic nursing. It's annoying at times, but most of the time I think it's pretty hilarious (which is why I still let him do it). Once he even flipped right over the arm of the chair. That was a bit painful. He doesn't do it all the time though. It's really only when he's bored-nursing.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#9 of 24 Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM

All three of my kids were acrobatic nursers. I have photos of my daughter (eldest) doing it... I'm not sure whether we have photos of the two boys in the act. I don't remember when they stopped, but I think my youngest, who's 3, hasn't done it in a while. So believe me, it WILL stop eventually!
#10 of 24 Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 AM

DD (13 mo) loves to climb off my lap, stand in between my legs and then proceed to do the splits - All with nipple in the mouth the whole time. She has also started to pop off and go onto the floor, take a few steps and then get really upset because she wasn't done! She comes tearing back at me. I think it's probably a developmental thing. There's so much going on and so much to explore they can't sit still.
#11 of 24 Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
...he climbs off the couch, I'll think he's done so I pull my shirt down. Oh no, he gets upset and climbs back on looking for the boob again. Lather, rinse, repeat several times.
yup. dd2 is 15mos and that whole "i'm done til you put the boob away" thing is my current frustration. it's no big deal when it's just the family or my girlfriends and i, but when we're in public i can't just sit there hanging out and waiting for her to be totally finished. i need the go-go-gadget-boob!

but really, after having to EP for dd1, i'll deal with anything dd2 throws at me with a smile on my face.
#12 of 24 Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
i need the go-go-gadget-boob!
Definitely - to go along with the third hand I know all moms could use!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#13 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 AM

My 15 month old dd has been nursing while standing on her head (with her legs on the bed) and she's also been twisting and turning every which way. My nipples are killing me b/c they are like her little pivot point! I've been unlatching her when she starts to move too much b/c I can't take it anymore. I haven't been this sore since I started to BF. Ugh!
#14 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Oh yes, DD is close to walking and likes to practice while nursing, she will stand up, sit down, up and down, while latched. Frankly I have set some limits here as it is not comfortable!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#15 of 24 Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm still waiting for DS (12.5 months) to settle down so he can nurse somewhere besides the bed. I was wondering if he just wasn't going to nurse during the day (besides naptime) anymore. He's so busy exploring and practicing his new skills he will NOT nurse on my lap or in a cradle hold. But I've recently figured out that I can take him upstairs and lie down with him on the mattress and he'll nurse fairly quietly.

I've had a taste of the acrobatics now and then, but nothing like the rest of you. In due time, I'm sure!!
#16 of 24 Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Yup, dd (13.5 mo) does that too, so recognisable... climbing off my lap while nursing, and then crying when I unlatch her - sorry babe you were climbing off my lap, I thought you were done
Lately she likes to sit up straight, straddling my leg while nursing, instead of lying in cradle hold. And then she whips her head around when she hears...yes... our cat

The downward dog thing, maaaaan that used to drive me crazy (she's been doing that for months now every evening when I nurse her in the bed, sigh)... but my nipples have gotten used to it I think
It's still kind of tiring but at least it doesnt hurt any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
DD (13 mo) loves to climb off my lap, stand in between my legs and then proceed to do the splits - All with nipple in the mouth the whole time. She has also started to pop off and go onto the floor, take a few steps and then get really upset because she wasn't done! She comes tearing back at me. I think it's probably a developmental thing. There's so much going on and so much to explore they can't sit still.
Yeah that makes sense, about the developmental thing.

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

#17 of 24 Old 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Another acrobat here too! The first time people see her nursing they are usually laughing out loud or staring with their jaws on their chests! She can really get into some crazy positions and she doesn't stop moving for one. little. bit. of the nursing session. She's been like this from day one so I have no hope of her ever settling down in the future. I'm not very modest, so this is the way we NIP too. Sorry gals, I'm NOT the poster child for "you can breastfeed without the whole world seeing your boob"!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#18 of 24 Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM

I've got one too
My 33 month old loves to also do downward dog while nursing (me lying on my side).
He also likes to nurse upside down (his head facing my feet when we are lying down).
He'll lie on top of me and switch sides constantly, the whole while digging ferociously in my belly button (don't know HOW he picked up this habit).
I think all of it is tolerable compared to the belly button extraction
P.S. OH! Yes, I AM the poster GIRL for the "Your nipples TOO can stretch like rubber bands!" campaign!
P.S.S. Sorry to report that 3 yrs is quickly approaching and he has not outgrown it yet....
#19 of 24 Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 PM

I too have an acrobat, glad I'm not alone.
#20 of 24 Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 AM

My little piglet is 20 months and we can do tricks! She is a wild nurser but mostly it's entertaining. Our best trick is the boobie keg stand. I lay on my back on the bed and she lays on top of me and latches on and then I lift her hips so her feet go up in the air until she's rocking the boobie keg stand. She thinks it's the height of hilarity. I call it "Cirque La Leche". Our neighbors would be horrified.
#21 of 24 Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 AM

i too do little dances (acrobatics if i was that flexible) when i eat... especially chocolate:-)
#22 of 24 Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 AM

Yep I have twin acrobats. The one has been doing it since about 6months now that we have hit a year it is the both of them.

Somedays I don't know who's feet are kicking who...One will bring his feet up and kick the other off the nipple...The other rotates like an allagator!!! It is funny and stressful.

And we have a cat, and two dogs as distractions!!!

#23 of 24 Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Haven't read the rest of the thread but OMG yes I definitely have a little acrobat!

She is 2.5 and has been rehearsing for Ringling Bros. at the breast since she was about 14 months.
#24 of 24 Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM

yeah-at 28 months we are still quite acrobatic in our house as well-much more so than my older two daughters, who both nursed very late (one was four years, the other two)

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page