can night weaning lead to early total weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering night weaning my 21 month old daughter (she wakes 2x a night to nurse) but worry that this may lead to lack of interest during the day. Is this possible? I don't care if she nurses more during the day I just don't want her to wean prematurely because of something I do.
#2 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 AM

It just did for us. Ds is 21 motnhs, and we just spent the last 2-3 months weaning a little bit (down from 12+ times epr day to say maybe 5-6) and dring the course of it,nightweaning happened, and within about 2 weeks, he no longer wanted in it the day either. He has nursed only twice in teh last week at this point. i'm sad, but happy.

CPST
#3 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM

I could say that we night weaned at 5 months or at 8 months... but then , there were the occaisonal rare teething nights. (lasts a week or two?)

We pretty much did night weaning at 12 months though!!! She's 28 mo old now. We still practice night weaning, and have milkies only two or three times per day (naptime and bedtim)... (we were trying to wean entirely?) but I've not lost my milk supply yet!!!!! Just a thought. clearly, the milk supply is less when nursing merely two times per day, but it is not 100% gone yet.
#4 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi mama,
Just wanted to chime in that I'm currently on night 5 of Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan, and DD's daytime nursing isn't slowing down...it's revving up! She's only 15 months and a bit young to nightwean, but I'm in the process of separating and having a very difficult time emotionally, so I decided to give myself the gift of sleep. It's going very well; there have been very few tears (only on night 1), and I'Ve gone from getting several 1-2 hours snatches of sleep, to a nice solid 5-6 hours with a later 2 hour snatch tacked on. And as I said previously, DD is MORE interested in nursing daytime. She's in full-time daycare, so now we nurse twice in the morning before getting up, then she's HUNGRY so I give her cereal and fruit, then I nurse her again quickly before leaving the daycare. When I pick her up she nurses, and may nurse twice more before bedtime. Her solids intake has increased a bit, which is nice, and she's more interested in a variety of foods.

Just my 2 cents
#5 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've nightweaned four kids, and they've all nursed at least until they were 3.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM

We're in the midst of nightweaning and no changes otherwise during the day.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM

We nightweaned about 3 mos ago. I am currently 6 1/2 mos pgs, and it was my main goal to nightwean before the baby came. DS is 33 mos. One night he suddenly started sleeping through the night and stopped night nursing. He would still come into our bed sometimes (got cold, bad dream) at the usual time, but I would tell him to close his eyes, we'll do it in a minute. Then he would fall back asleep.

He finally weaned completely about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was sad (still am, spent a few good nights crying about it) but decided it was better in the long run. I'll have my breasts all to myself for the next 3 mos. He was down to once a day (bedtime) and only for a few minutes. His latch got progressively worse, and the milk got progressively less. I only had to tell him no twice (both at night when I would have told him no anyway).

Anywho, yours is younger, so it probably won't matter much to you. Good luck!
#8 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM

I nightweaned my two older dc's when they were about 2 and they both continued to nurse during the day until they were closer to 3. We are currently encouraging our 16 month old twins to partially nightwean (basically want to get them from nursing all night long to 1-2 nursings each). We've only been at it a few nights but so far they seem even more interested in nursing during the day. I've also been offering more often so that I can provide that comfort during the daytime hours.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#9 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 PM

I nightweaned DD at 28 months. She just turned 3 and it still quite attached to nursing 8 months later.
#10 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback ladies, I feel more confident about night weaning if i decide to make the leap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page