11 month old cutting WAY back on nursing - I'm scared he wants to wean early...please help!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas -

My DS is 11.5 months and for the past month he has cut WAY back on nursing. He used to nurse every 2 hours round the clock. Then he stopped wanting to nurse mid-morning. Then that morning time stretched out more and more so now some days he goes 6 or 7 hours without really nursing (although he still nurses at 3-5 times at night). Basically, most of the times he is nursing now is when he is sleepy, either falling asleep or just waking up.

I keep offering to nurse and he keeps signing FOOD. It doesn't seem to change by being in a quiet place, at home or anything. It used to be that whenever he got near my breast he would at least take a few sucks (!) but now if I offer and he isn't in the mood, he yells and squirms. When I give him FOOD after he signs it, he will eat a ton. Like, 4 oz of trout and a whole zuchinni for instance. He also signs WATER a lot and wants to drink water instead of nursing

Also, he keeps biting and this has been going on for a long time now. I don't think its teething, and even if it is, there is no change after I give him something cold to chew on. He seems to bite mostly when he doesn't really want to nurse although last night he started really biting in his sleep for the first time ever:

My mama's intuition is that he just wants to nurse less but not stop completely. But I'm scared that this pattern could lead to early weaning. I am pumping twice a day just in case this is a phase and my supply seems great.

What else can I do?? Should I give him less food even though he wants it or is that nuts?????

DS born at home 12/08 DW in grad school for seven years running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM

We went through something very similar at the exact same age. DS started to crawl on his 11 month birthday, and once that started he refused to nurse during the day except lying down before or after naps. Never in a chair. He's 13.5 months now, and he's been back to nursing frequently for several weeks. I suppose at some point the novelty of being mobile wore off?

Your LO probably crawled earlier than mine, so I don't know if becoming mobile was a trigger in your case. In any case, I would suggest to just keep offering, don't push it when he refuses, and maybe focus on nap times, at night, and upon waking, when he's a bit sleepy. One day before you know it I bet he'll come back to you just like mine did!! It's unlikely he'd wean at 11 months from what I've read on these boards.

If you haven't already, you could take a look at this, on kellymom.com
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
#3 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
It sounds suspiciously like a breastfeeding strike, which is quite common around that age. I know I did this at that age, but my mom did not know about strikes, and just weaned me. Keep offering, and your LO will come back to the breast. It sounds like your LO may just feel that he is too busy to sit still and nurse.

Is he walking and standing yet? If so, you may want to offer "drive-by" nursing. Sit at the edge of a chair and let him nurse standing up. My DS did this a lot when he was a new walker. It kept him nursing, but he did not feel like he had to take time out of being busy to nurse.

As for the biting, when he does it, pull him in towards you so your breast covers his nose. He will have to unlatch to breath, and will find it uncomfortable. If he bites again, repeat as necessary. I had this same issue with my DS, and this method worked like a charm. I think I only had to do this 2-3 times before he stopped biting altogether.

And if you are worried about your supply, keep pumping until he comes back to the breast more.

Cristina, Mama to Michael , Nathan , and an angel.
Go with your gut, follow your heart.

#4 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post
And if you are worried about your supply, keep pumping until he comes back to the breast more.

This is what I did, and I was frequently able to give him the pumped milk in a cup.
#5 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM
wbg

I had this with #2 and actually let her wean. Silly me! I thought she was making it easy for me. When it happened again with #4, I just kept offering and pumping and she just settled right back in after a couple of weeks. I wish I had had more knowledge with #2. Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff and have already gotten great advice from the wise women on MDC. Well done Mama!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page