I broke down at the Dr's office today. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kiddo was a chunker so I have zero advice in that department, he was a great nurser once he got the hang of it, and a great eater once we got to "real" food! I guess I"m lucky. As far as vaccines go you really need to know what you want to do and be informed on your decisions. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, read up on what may be prevalent in your area of the country and consider your lifestyle when deciding what or if to give vaccines. Our doctor felt a few were very important and so I took that into consideration when planning our schedule. Doctors are required to push what the CDC recommends, but they are also advised to follow a parents wishes on vaccinations, they cannot force you to vaccinate your child. After I came in with a full, written out schedule of how I wanted to do things my doc (totally old school) has left me alone. For me I feel that vaccination is something that is important but done on MY timeline, not theirs. I'm still nervous when it's vaccine time but I'm glad he's only getting 1 shot instead of 3 or 4! Stand up for yourself and your child! Be strong, this is only the beginning
#32 of 34 Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 AM

it sound slike that may be the norm for your dd. my dd has always been opn the low end of the percentage charts for weight. at 1 yr i think she was somewhere around 16 lbs. she just turned 4 in november and is 36 lbs (only gained a few ounces at most in the last year) and nearly 4 ft tall already. her dr wasn't worried but did suggest we recheck her weight in 6 months to see where it's at by then. in contrast, dd is 6 months old and just shy of 17lbs. both kiddos were exclusively bf, never a drop of formula. with dd, we did encourage whole milk yogurt, milk, avacado, etc. she's always eaten very healtrhy though, prefers fruit and veggies to sweets. i wouldn't say to completely ignore things just in case there's an issue, but i wouldn't get too worried either.
#33 of 34 Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleines_mom View Post
Wow, she's recommending you start formula at 1 year of age? I've honestly NEVER heard of that before. Cow's milk, yes. Goat's milk, sure. But formula at a year? No. I think that your doctor is misinformed.

There is a plethora of things you can do to help your daughter gain weight. Increasing her intake of solids is first on that list. Include things into her diet that are high in fat such as full fat yogurts/cheese, avocados etc. Offer solids more often throughout the day. Full fat cows milk (I've seen as high as 3.8% organic homo milk here) should help too, if you're okay with introducing it. There is NO reason to stop breastfeeding and I'm glad your doctor sees it that way as well. There is no more fat in formula than there is in breastmilk. However adding more solids and some full fat milk into her diet could give her the calories she needs to get to her weight potential (to me, that is the weight she is with proper balanced nutrition).

Giving formula at this age would be silly for the following reasons:
-It's VERY expensive
-It has the same amount of fat calories as breastmilk and whole cow's milk
-Your daughter will probably hate it

Also, keep in mind (as I'm sure you are) that she's likely just a smaller kid. nothing wrong with that. Of course any drop on the weight charts is a cause for concern and it should be investigated to make sure that there is nothing wrong. If increasing her solids, offering higher fat foods, introducing cows milk and continuing breastfeeding are all being done, and her weight is still dropping off, then I would be concerned (and STILL formula would NOT be the answer). However don't be surprised if with all those measures her weight still is in the 5th percentile. If that's her weight potential, then going over it would be making her overweight and that's not what we want either.

When my ds was between 10-13 months he was very slim, but bulked up shortly there after. He started to walk, and run and was mostly just nursing. When he started wolfing down good nutrient dense foods + mama's milk, he really took off. I'm sure your little one is fine. Don't let your doc bully you into anything you don't want to do, from formula to vaxs.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#34 of 34 Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM

My little E-Train is a short stack and was off the bottom of the charts at 1 year, went back to check at 18 months and he was back up to the 10th percentile. Their little bodies are changing so much at this point I'd just keep the healthy fatty foods up. Avocados are good. We do a lot of cereal bars at our house and constantly offer snacks.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page