The weaning question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my DD is almost 11 months old and we have a wonderful breastfeeding relationship. I pump twice a day at work on the days I work (4 days a weekS) so that she has BM while she is at daycare. When she is home with me all day she still nurses every 2-3 hours, sometimes more and wakes 2-3 times during the night to nurse as well. She is finally eating some solids consistently, but at daycare she is still drinking a lot of BM, which is great. My issue is...I plan on BFing for at least two years, so we are nowhere near weaning, it makes me sad even thinking about not nursing. I have been getting so annoyed because now that she is nearing 12 months people keep asking when she is going to wean. I just politely say "No time soon, I plan on nursing her until at least 2 years, it is the best for her immune system". But inside it is so annoying, how do I let that go and not feel insulted when people ask me that because surely the question will come up more and more frequently as she gets older!

Working Mama to DD energy.gif(2/14/09) and DS biggrinbounce.gif(9/13/12)saynovax.gifcd.gifnocirc.gif homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFand wife to DH (7/31/05)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It will probably come up more frequently as she gets older at first, but once people close to you get the picture it tends to drop off again.

I think your response is great. I try not to make a huge deal out of it so that it appears more normal to people. It's hard for people to get used to something that they may never have seen before. I generally just politely say that we're both still happy to be nursing and we're just taking it day by day.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM

When my dd was about 9 mo old I had a friend's mom say something like, 9 mo? it's about time to wean! I just said "Nope!" and smiled. It's no one's business when you're going to wean. My fil always asks if my dd is still breastfeeding, he doesn't mean anything negative by it, they're just anxious to have her stay overnight(that's another thread)
I just always answer no, and if people ask when I plan on stopping, I just say I don't know. Which is true, I don't know....
All that being said, I have to admit while I was pregnant I asked a nursing mom (with 18 mo old) how long she was going to nurse for. It was totally innocent asking and I didn't mean anything negative by it. So, I try to be patient & understanding when people ask me about it now, because they don't understand it can offensive. Really it's because they don't know any better. Maybe you'll open some eyes along the way

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM

I like to tell people "age 6 probably." Most people laugh a little and then look uncomfortable, but they usually stop asking me about it.

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM

I can't take any credit for this one, I've seen it on the board a few times... "I plan on moving into DD's dorm room!"

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page