Even more tandem questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know there have been a lot of tandem threads lately, but I didn't want to hijack them.

I am 32 weeks pregnant, and my daughter turned 3 in Dec. I had to seriously cut down on nursing her at about 10 weeks because I was soo sick, both with morning sickness and another issue I had going on, and I was so tired. I was sleeping 16+ hours every day anyway, and every time I nursed her, I would immediately fall asleep for 2 hours or more. (I am sooo lucky that DH was in between jobs at the time! I don't know what I would have done otherwise.)

I nightweaned her first, and she was fine the very first night. I cut a lot of other nursing sessions, too, and she almost totally weaned. My milked dried up even faster because of that. After a few weeks, I added some nursing sessions back in, not even one a day though. It made my skin crawl, gave me contractions, and hurt. So, they have been rare.

I really want her to nurse when the baby comes. She is underweight, and could really really use a few extra pounds. 15 would be heaven, but even 2 would be extremely helpful!

So, after the saga, here are the questions...

Will she remember how to nurse? The past few days, my colostrum has started to come in a bit, and she seems latched to me, but I can't tell if she is sucking effectively. I have overactive letdown when she was born, so maybe that won't even be an issue, unless she refuses the milk itself. Anyone have experience with a mostly weaned toddler nursing again?

Also, I have this (somewhat irrational) fear that I will still feel icky when the baby comes, and nursing the baby will be unpleasant. I really enjoyed nursing my first. Please, remind me that these feelings will go away with the birth, and that I'll want to nurse this one as much as I did my first.

Oh, and I am SOOO happy you all are here. I don't know any tandem mamas IRL.
#2 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 04:13 PM

My DS was 20 mos when DD was born and he was down to before and after sleeping and napping. We picked up his nursings as soon as she was born and has been trying to double his nursings ever since, hehe. He is 3 and she is 15mos. He would nurse all the time if he could. Most tandem mammas have told me that their child picked back up easy after the baby was born.

DS 1-19-07, DD 10-04-08,Tandem Nurser, Luv my wonderful, supportive, big southern husband.
#3 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM

My DD was a little younger than yours when DS was born. She was almost three when he was born and still nursing. We had night weaned her and she had cut back A LOT. I was planning on tandem nursing and so didn't try to encourage her to wean. However, I had a very bad experience tandeming and I wish I would have encouraged her to wean when i was pregnant. There were lots of INTOLERABLEL ikky feelings towards her which didn't help the guilt I feld about not having as much time for her.

Just my experience. Tandeming is really really hard for some people.
#4 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
spu

I tandem nurse my two youngest. DS was younger than your DD when the new baby came along - he was 15 mos old. So even though I nursed thoughout my pregnancy, I could tell my supply dwindled toward the end of my pregnancy. he would nurse for literally 30 seconds at best. i felt like i gypped him from a good nursing relationship and the nutritional benefits of extended nursing.

After the baby was born and my milk came in, DS took to it like there was no tomorrow! the engorgement phase was amazing - and having him nurse at the same time as the new baby made my milk come in fast, and my let downs fast.

We still tandem nurse - DS is 3.3 yo, and the baby will be 2 next weekend!

good luck - anything is possible. make sure to give your new baby the side with the most milk, and to nurse the baby first if they don't nurse at the same time, and to let the baby finish again to make sure it gets the fat-rich hind milk.

I still find tandem nursing a great thing - it gives them both time with me, and they love mama's milk, so no one feels like they are not included.

have you read 'adventures in tandem nursing'? worth borrowing from LLL or the library.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page