Please help! Not nursing for nap= no nap and raging child! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having MAJOR sleep issues with my almost 3 year old. Please, those who have been through this, HELP!

I stopped my only nursing session w/ DD this week, which happens to be her nap. Previously she napped every day, same time. I have had a few days recently where DD wouldn't nurse down and so I would lay w/ her in my bed or hers until she fell asleep. Only a few times did she not fall asleep. On Monday I started a naptime routine: brush teeth, read a book, lights out, just like our nighttime routine, where she falls asleep on her own. This is NOT going well AT ALL. She will NOT fall asleep at naptime and is HORRIBLE in the evenings. It's going on 4 days of not napping and she is not going to bed easily in the evening (earlier bedtime) and is not sleeping well at night, either. She is falling asleep @7:30 and sleeping until 7 am but waking SCREAMING @ midnight. During the nighttime routine, she is RAGING, refusing to do ANYTHING. It is absolutely draining me. DH has been doing the nighttime routine (we trade off during the week, so she is used to this) for a few nights b/c I am SPENT and cannot deal with her. But he has had to lay w/ her 2 out of the past 3 nights b/c she is so irrational and overtired. So we are ruining her routine that was working!

PLEASE give me advice or BTDT!! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 AM

can you take her for a drive? that's the only way i could get my twins to nap after they were no longer nursing. i know its not the environmentally or financially responsible thing to do, but i did what i had to do. we did a lot of driving!

you might find something in the no cry nap solution that is helpful. your library might have it.

good luck!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM

We had the same problem around 18mos or 20mos I can't remember exactly. The car drive at nap time worked only once and a while. Finally I realized that this really was it for naps (I was early to kick naps too). What we do is try to have some down time and we cuddle on the couch in the afternoon. DD now 26mos does not nap but goes down at 6:45 to 7pm I usually start our bedtime routine a little after 6pm I think her knowing that bedtime is coming soon prevents some of the hairiness.

I have to admit though that it was a little rough for about a week for both of us. Just as it is anytime they give up a nap it takes some adjustment for both parties. When I realized that no nap meant no longer having her up until 9pm I really embraced it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I feel your pain!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Have you considered nursing her for naps again? For many people that is the easiest way from weaning from nursing for naps--- wait til they are done napping.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

TiredX2: Yesterday I was considering the same thing. I feel so torn. First of all, DD would usually nurse down for nap, but it was starting to take longer and longer... and my nipples were getting sore and I was feeling really resentful at naptime. So... I am really not sure WHAT to do. I discussed it w/ DH yesterday and he thinks I should not go back to nursing for nap. He thinks that with time, she will take a nap once she gets used to the new "routine". I am very very unsure! And now it's been almost a week, I'm not sure if I have any milk or even if I would want to do it. Mostly, I've been working on this naptime routine and I don't want to confuse her any more by undoing the new routine. I said to DH, maybe I should just nurse at naptime only for another 6 months and he reminded me of how done I was with it last week. I am just not at all sure what to do.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 AM

could you be pg? i know when i was *DONE* with nursing it turned out that i was pg. i have deep regrets about the way i weaned my boys, and wish i could have stuck it out longer. not that you should or should not continue nursing. do what is best for you and your dd.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think that I am preg. I have had ups and downs about stopping nursing. The thing is that I was really getting to the end of my rope b/c she was really demanding about nursing and my breasts were sore and I was tired and run down and feeling like it was about time. She has not asked to nurse in the past 24 hrs. I am just going to take it as it comes. She did, however, fall asleep today in my bed while I laid w/ her. Let's hope it makes for a better night.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

watching this thread
i'm in a similer boat. ds has been nursing to sleep for nap and at bed time only for about 6 months but now he WONT sleep without nursing down and he is taking forever to go down with the nursing making me really really sore. i don't really want to wean him but i'm starting to resent the long nursing sessions.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

it was taking longer and longer for DD to nurse down for naps, too. i forgot about that. used to be 5-15 min and recently upwards of 40 min (my limit). tonight i am feeling sortof okay about things. she was tired today and did take a nap and was happy laying in bed w/ me and snuggling and didn't ask to nurse. tonight she did, and i just said nothing and then she said, i want some cow's milk!!

i guess i am going to survive
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 AM

i have had a little luck (about 20 % of the time) nursing until i hit my limit then asking him to lay down with me 'until there's more milk' which sometimes he'll fall asleep waiting but as i said... it only sometimes works...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List