Nursing a toddler during pregnancy even if there's no milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 23 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 24mo. The thing is, whenever I try to hand-express to see if I'm still producing milk, nothing ever comes out. My son doesn't seem to understand what I'm asking when I try to get him to tell me whether or not there's still milk in mama's tetas, either.

Is it possible that he's still nursing and enjoying it even though there's no milk? Has anyone ever done this before?

My nipples are very sore, but I'm inclined to keep up with it if I can. It is essential to his sleep routines and he nurses a few times a day for comfort, too. And of course milk will be back in great abundance once the next baby is on the outside.

Just wondering if this is possible and if anyone's done it before. Thanks!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM

I did it! My 40 month old finally weaned a few weeks ago, I nursed her through the pregnancy of my 6 month old, even though there was no milk from 14 weeks on, my colostrum did come in around 31 weeks. She sure was happy when the milk came back.
#3 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 PM

I did it too, my son didn't care that there was no milk, he just needed his nursies and I wasn't ready to lose that bond with him either.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#4 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm only at 10 weeks and my milk is going away fast. My daughter is telling me after nursing for only a minute or so "Milk all gone" and patting my breast. I get the impression she is going to continue to comfort nurse without milk all the way through. (I'm hoping.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 10 Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM

I did it and am at 36 weeks now. I didn't want to wean DD and my milk seemed to go fast. She got angry for awhile--signing "more" when she pullled off. But now there is colostrum and I think she will be so happy to get some real milk again! It did and does hurt, but I really didn't want her to wean...

Single HB mama to 2!
#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 AM

I am 15 weeks pg nursing a 23m old. My milk has been gone for almost 10 weeks, but dd still nurses like always. She does eat LOTS more solids now, but nurses in the morning, at naptime, once in the late afternoon/evening and at bedtime. I think she will be ecstatic when my colostrum comes in!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#7 of 10 Old 01-31-2010, 02:32 AM

my DD nursed through my last pregnancy with no milk past 12 weeks - she didn't mind - my DS is nursing now and my milk supply is dropping dramatically, he is eating more big-boy food and otherwise doesn't mind the change so far - it does hurt now.. (and did with my last pregnancy) and i don't really enjoy it, but nursing is something i am committed to doing for my children sooo.. here i am again.

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#8 of 10 Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM

My son nursed threw my pregnancy with no milk as well. He just want ready to wean when it dried up. But I continued so he could have the comfort he was used to. Every now and then he latches on but I havent found a pattern to when he asks. It was def. uncomfortable but in the long run worth it.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#9 of 10 Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM

While I did not enjoy the dry nursing my baby continued to nurse and still does at 40 months. I dried up fairly quickly and began producing colostrum around 24-26 weeks. She did not mind in the slightest. All she cared about was she could cuddle up and suckle.

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif
#10 of 10 Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 AM

to-fu---
Thank you so much for posting this. I just found out we are pg with baby #2 and I am still nursing my 21 month old and hoping a traumatic weaning doesn't happen.

It is really nice to read such positive experiences! Hope it goes well for you, too.

I am already feeling my milk dry up...I think I am only a month or so pregnant, too...we'll see!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page