Nursing 2 yr old after general anesthesia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to have a D & C under general anesthesia on Fri. My dr. keeps telling me I have to pump and dump for 24 hrs., but I can tell he's just repeating a line without listening to me (he's an OB/GYN; I have no relationship with him but he was on call when my midwife found the problem so I got stuck with him). I can't conceive of not nursing my son for 24 hrs. He will be inconsolable.
I know I don't need to pump with a 2 yr old, but I want to know if there are any types of anesthesia that would permit nursing a 26 lb. kid. Anyone had a similar experience?
#2 of 6 Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 AM

From Kellymom

Quote:
General anesthesia should not affect breastfeeding. You can safely nurse once you are awake and alert enough to hold your baby. By that time, the amount of medication in your bloodstream is low enough that the amounts in your milk would not be significant. The point at which you wake up after general anesthesia is the point where enough of the drug has left your system that it no longer has an effect. In addition, pediatric surgeries require anesthesia - and that is a more serious exposure than through mom's milk.
Think page linked above has links to more in-depth info. I hope this helps ease your mind and I'm sorry you have to deal with an ignorant, unhelpful OB at what I'm sure is an already stressful time. Best wish for a quick and smooth procedure and recovery.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#3 of 6 Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 AM

No need to pump at all. As soon as you are able to hold your child to nurse, you are able to nurse.

#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 AM

I had to go under general anesthetic to have my son by c-section and there was no pumping and dumping and he was a lot less then 26 lbs (9 lbs 12 oz) and he was fine.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 AM

They recommended 24 hrs for me following gen anesthesia but after reading about the medication and talking it over more I came to the conclusion that a few hours would be sufficient. I recommend finding out the name of the medication and calling your local LLL leader who can read to you from the medication book what exactly the concerns would be for that medication. Then you can take that info the the doc and advocate for your situation.

The medication they used with me was propofol, fwiw. But just so you know, it has as its base soybean oil which my DD is terribly sensitive to. I didn't notice a bad reaction in her when I had the med (although at the time we hadn't figured out all of her triggers so she was always reacting somewhat) but later when she was given propofol for an MRI she reacted for nearly a week. So if you have a sensitive LO you'll want to look in to not only the effect of the active ingredients of the med but also what are the inactive ingredients.

Good luck!

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page