Is your toddler "too old" to nurse when? (Funny post!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't know if a whole thread of funny nursing stories exists. I haven't seen one. But......

mine is 15 months and when I change his diaper before bed, I usually sing Old McDonald or Row Row Row Your Boat--cause he likes them and can sing along.
But *usually* what goes on is he's pretty ticked that we've got to do this diaper thing first, so he doesn't sing until....
I get settled in next to him--he grabs it and gets his first sip, THEN he will pop off and sing "E-I-E-I-O" or "row-row-row" looooool

He's also known to lift my shirt and say 'boo' I tried briefly to teach him my baby-abbreviated Arabic word for nursing, (abbreviated enough to probably pass as a code in both languages!) it didn't fly. With his sister it was 'boo' with him it has stuck.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My husband always enjoyed getting a rise out of me when our 2yo was tiny by relating our BFing to a lactating cow. Milk around our homes has always been referred to as "Moo" or "moo juice." As 2yo started drinking cow's milk, she started calling it "Moo Cow." ONCE Hubby asked if 2yo was drinking "Mama Moo Cow" and now BFing is always Mama Moo Cow!!!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#3 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nanny was holding her 8 month old DS on one hip and my 17 month old DD on the other hip when my DD put her hand on her Nana's breast, looked straight at Nana's DS and said, "Ted, want milk?" She was just being hospitable, right?

Mommy to my Lamb, born 9/22/2008 and my Penguin, born 2/21/2011
: HypnoBirthing Mama

#4 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM

The other day Nora was nursing and I looked down at her and asked, "Is that good milks?"
She thought for a second. Popped off, very deliberately said, "Yes." and then latched back on! SO cute!
I told that story to a few girls at work and got some weird looks! but I thought it was the cutest thing.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
The other day Nora was nursing and I looked down at her and asked, "Is that good milks?"
She thought for a second. Popped off, very deliberately said, "Yes." and then latched back on! SO cute!
I told that story to a few girls at work and got some weird looks! but I thought it was the cutest thing.
Awww....Thats ADORABLE!

Lincoln and I play games while we nurse. Unless he's just gotten back from his dad's, and then we sit in the rocking chair and we just cuddle and nurse. It's so sweet.

It's really funny though when i nurse him at daycare though b/c we sit on a bench, and he gets up and down about 4times! Lately though, he's been asking (by patting the floor) me to lay down on the floor and nurse him laying down!
#6 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM

DD has recently learned the word "nice" and uses it to describe everything. Yesterday she latched on and I asked, "Is it good?" She unlatched, patted my breast w/ her hand and very distinctly said, "nice boops (boobs)" then went back to nursing.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#7 of 65 Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM

DH pinched his finger in the door and DD popped off, pulled my boob up and out and offered it to him to make him better. She said, "Booboos better?" LOL whoops...

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#8 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 AM

At Christmas time I was sick and lying on the couch. DS (23 mons at the time) wanted nursies so he came over and was standing beside me nursing. he popped off and said "MMMM Nursies are tasty" then after a contemplative moment "Apple Cider tasty too" with a big smile. He had just had his first taste of apple cider earlier that day

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#9 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds doesn't talk yet but when I ask him if he would like to nurse he gets the biggest smiles & bounces & flaps his arms & makes the greatest 'eh, eh, eh!' sound. Makes me laugh everytime!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
mine has also popped off and said "mmmmm"

or given me a big smile (nipple still in mouth but open-mouth grin) and then continued nursing THAT was one from around 10 mos.-12 mos. happened ALL THE TIME and I wanted so bad for somebody to snap a pic over my shoulder....never got done.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#11 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 AM

I love reading all of these stories! Keep 'em up Mamas! I know all of our nurslings have plenty of funny things up their sleeves!!!

My ds sometimes likes to hold his stuffed kitty in one arm while he nurses. I give him a kiss and tell him I love him before he begins, and I kiss kitty as well. So, ds starts to nurse he looks at me, pops off and holds kitty up to my breast and makes a fake drinking sound. There have been other times he has pulled my boob up and asked me if I want any! Ha! I just love it. So cute!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#12 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 AM

I love these stories! I love it when DS comes to me and pats my breast. He just pats and lately he's been saying baabaa, which is I think his way of saying boobie. Ooops, I guess I waited too long to start saying milk instead of boobie juice!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#13 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM

These stories are all so cute.

Not exactly a sweet moment, but the other night we were having dinner with my FIL, my husband's grandmother (who is 87) and my husband's grandfather (who is 93), and my dd(2.5) shouted as loud as she could, "I love mommy's baby nipples".

I was a little embarassed, but it was awfully funny.
#14 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM

I've tried getting him to sleep with his stuffed Elmo and Winnie-the-Pooh. He's dropped off, popped binky in mouth, and then held up his buddies to nurse.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#15 of 65 Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 PM

I was reminded of another one today.

I was sewing some presents for my cousins kids and needed get them finished so I could ship them out. DD was cranky so I was sitting at the machine sewing with one boob hanging out and dd was standing at my side latched on and nursing. Apparently she fell asleep standing up because she fell over. opps. She wasn't hurt and fell asleep again quickly with a few cuddles from my dad though.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#16 of 65 Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I was reminded of another one today.

I was sewing some presents for my cousins kids and needed get them finished so I could ship them out. DD was cranky so I was sitting at the machine sewing with one boob hanging out and dd was standing at my side latched on and nursing. Apparently she fell asleep standing up because she fell over. opps. She wasn't hurt and fell asleep again quickly with a few cuddles from my dad though.
Thanks for sharing this! Just made my day. She must have been one tired little girl! That will be a fun one to share with her when she is older!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#17 of 65 Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM

DD is the most acrobatic nurser ever. She only ever sits still to nurse if she's really ill. She's been known to try and climb off the couch while still attached!

Lately she's taken to popping off, pulling up her shirt, and very meticulously lining up her bellybutton with my nipple and then giving me a hug with a very smug smile. Then she goes back to nursing.

This morning after I pumped (long story, one side is being pumped currently) she spent about 15 minutes playing with the horn, hooking up the tubing, and then "pumping" her bellybutton.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#18 of 65 Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 PM

DS calls it "guik" and for a while would ask to nurse by saying "Odda won? Guik? Pees? OooohKAY!" and then trying to lift up my shirt (which has NEVER been allowed). translated, that's "other one? Milk? Please? Okay!" He likes to answer for us in the affirmative, as if that will keep us from saying no.

Since I got pregnant, we've been nursing mostly in bed, so now he says, "guik? bed?" Which I usually allow.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#19 of 65 Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 AM

when we would be out and about, he would make suggestions on good nursing spots: "there's a shady spot"......and he would ask for "other side" if he was particularly hungry, and he always insisted it tastes like "strawberries"......i loved nursing a toddler.......

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#20 of 65 Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Background:
My nursling turned 3 in Dec, and we had mostly weaned due to a difficult pregnancy. We were down to once every few days, but now that I have colostrum, we are nursing 2-4 times a day again. This makes for a VERY appreciative nursling.

So, she has conversations with the "nursies" and they talk back! Usually "I LOVE you nursie!" and the nursie says in a very high pitched voice "I love you too!"

#21 of 65 Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 AM

DS is 18 months. Sometimes he will let out a very appreciative "mm mm mmmm" when nursing. He does that whenever he eats anything he likes.

He also likes his stuffed animals to nurse. And the other day i think he offered my boob to our neighbor! She was over at our house and he had given her his sippy cup and favorite toy. He decided he wanted to nurse but popped off and pointed to my boob and looked at her. I guess he was feeling extra generous that morning!
#22 of 65 Old 03-09-2010, 12:32 PM

i'm not really in here yet, dd is 1 on tuesday but i wanted to share her new thing

when shes feeding she pops off and lets out a big "aaaaah" like shes just had a long refreshing drink, had me and dp in stitches

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#23 of 65 Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM

My 20-month old still isn't really talking, but he will say "Na-na" when he wants to nurse. He has been known to pop off and retrieve a toy car, then jump back on so he can run his car across my chest as he nurses. Whenever he's nursing, I will kiss his head and ask him if he loves mama, and each time he will shake his head no and go, "mmm-mmm!" then giggle without letting go. He also likes to lie on the bed and pat the pillow next to him when he's wanting to nurse. It's so cute!

The best yet though has been the utter rejection of the left breast. I have nursed him on one side only since he was 4 months old, due to having lost the milk in the left breast from having severe thrush. Now he won't even TRY the left! I have offered it on a few occasions to see if he could build the milk back up in that side, but he'll look at it like it's totally offensive to him, make a face and pull the shirt or bra back over it. Once he even yelled and smacked it like it insulted him or something!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#24 of 65 Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Great thread! My daughter is 26 months right now, and she loooves her milk! We've always called it milk, but my sister nurses and calls it having a "boob." Since DD heard that, she has put things in her shirt and proudly said, Boobs Mama! She likes to nurse her dolls or have me nurse them. We also shower together, and a few months ago, I was washing my hair and I guess she appreciated the movement because she looked at me, laughed and said "SHAKE THOSE BOOBS, MAMA!" I was so surprised, yet, very, very amused, that I obliged. She laughed, and laughed. Then she said, "SHAKE THE MILK, MAMA!" It gives a whole new meaning to a milkshake! She still requests me to shake the milk sometimes.
#25 of 65 Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM

dd2 is 15 mo. I like to lie down to nurse a lot, so I lie down and lift my shirt and she will laugh and scurry up to me with this crazy laughing. It is so cute! Its like she has discovered the treasure she has been looking for for years, even though we nurse every 40 min or so while awake.... sometimes I play it up by exposing them and saying to her, "Do you want your jubblies?" as i shake them... she giggles so hard as she crawls up fast...

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#26 of 65 Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM

This isn't a toddler story, but when DD was maybe 6 months old, I was nursing her to sleep on the couch while watching TV with DH. The movie Office Space came on, and I started giggling, trying to suppress it so I wouldn't wake DD. From a deep sleep, she started smiling whenever I laughed, and then giggling along with me, which only made me laugh more. She was half asleep with her eyes closed which just made it funnier. She ended up completely waking up, but the whole thing was so sweet I didn't care.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#27 of 65 Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post
I have offered it on a few occasions to see if he could build the milk back up in that side, but he'll look at it like it's totally offensive to him, make a face and pull the shirt or bra back over it. Once he even yelled and smacked it like it insulted him or something!
This is hilarious to me. Something I could see DD doing.

She's only 13 mos now, but she gets hysterically giggly when I ask, "do you want boobies?" I lay down to nurse her to sleep, and she crawls over, latches, but can't figure out how to lay down. So struggles in an awkward half-crawling, half-lying position until I help her put her arms and knees down. She also smacks her lips at the boobies. Smacking the lips either means "tasty" or "i want something tasty" and is reserved exclusively for boobies, puffs, and anything daddy is eating.

#28 of 65 Old 03-19-2010, 01:26 AM

Oh, I forgot DS loves to blow zerberts on my breast. While he's latched. It's the oddest feeling and he thinks it's hilarious. He tries doing it to DH but it doesn't make that nice sound on his flat chest. He also likes to zerbert my loose tummy, and smack it like a drum.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#29 of 65 Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Smacking the lips either means "tasty" or "i want something tasty" and is reserved exclusively for boobies, puffs, and anything daddy is eating.
Lil' Man will sometimes let go of the boobie, lean back with his eyes closed, smack his lips and go "aaaaaah!" in a sigh... like this was the best, most satisfying meal he's ever had, even if it was just a 15-second fly-by!!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#30 of 65 Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
mine has also popped off and said "mmmmm"

or given me a big smile (nipple still in mouth but open-mouth grin) and then continued nursing THAT was one from around 10 mos.-12 mos. happened ALL THE TIME and I wanted so bad for somebody to snap a pic over my shoulder....never got done.
hehe, that really IS the cutest smile ever!

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page