14 month old becoming violent while nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 14 months old and he has lately started to become violent when he nurses, he kicks and punches me, scratches me as much as he can like hes trying to tear my skin off my body bites my nipple . I just don't know what to do, I take him to work with me so he nurses when he wakes up, when we get to work, around lunchtime, before we go home, when we get home, after dinner, before bed and all night. I try to nurse him whenever he wants but I just don't think I can take this much abuse while nursing. I try to restrain him and not let him hit and kick me but then he unlatches and cries about it. I have seriously thought about trying to night wean him because honestly I am like a zombie, he nurses to sleep between 8 and 10 pm, then he sleeps about 2 hours (one night he slept for 5 hours and it was like heaven, but that was only 1 time in the last year) then he wakes up at least every 45 minutes from there on to nurse, and this goes on all night long. I really want him to nurse until he is 2 years old. He eats tons of solid foods during the day also, and a very wide variety of foods like meat, veggies, dairy, fruit so I don't think hes starving. Anyone been through this and have advice? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 6 Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 AM

If he's hurting you, stop him and show him that hurting you = nursing is done for now. My DS was kicking me in the neck. I would hold his foot, but there came a point where I had to tell him - ouch, that hurts Mama! All done!

Then the next time I remind him at the begining to be gentle. We have had this pop up now and again, and really just cutting him off (that session is OVER, he waits until the next normal nursing time) worked wonders.

Tjej
#3 of 6 Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Do you think he is trying to stimulate a let down/tell your body to make more milk?
#4 of 6 Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM

I would choose to teach "nursing manners". I did this with both of our kids. At this age, if they did anything that hurt me I said "pinching hurts" (or whatever he did) and immediately ended the nursing session, and got up and walked away for a few minutes. He could try again in a few minutes after settling down and a reminder to be gentle with mommy.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your ideas, so far its not working but im sure with time and being consistent he will figure it out. As far as maybe im not making enough milk, that could be true I don't know how to tell. Thanks again mamas!
#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 AM

Oh man. I feel for you. One for getting beat up by your baby, but also cause you are not getting good sleep!!! I think (hope this doesn't make anyone upset) but children/babies temperaments are also effected by their amount of restorative sleep. If he is waking so often at night it could definitely effect his moods and behavior. When my 3 year olds are overtired they are bears. My dd is going thru some night waking right now and when she wakes up a few times a night the next day she is not herself at all - more moody and temperamental. I wonder if night-weaning would be wise for both of you.

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page