I think she can't stop using her teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DD is 3, and nursing only about twice a day, but we were both happy with this until the past few weeks. She has begun clamping down with her teeth the longer she's latched. It's not a sudden bite. It starts OK, then I'll notice a little pain, and usually wonder for a moment if it's happening again, then it gets sharper and I'm sure. It really hurts. She's given me tooth-shaped bruises and some mild breaks in the skin. At first it was only on one side in one position, but now it's both sides in any position. I really don't think she's aware of it while she's doing it. It seems like I'm always asking her to stop or switch sides now, and she just seems confused and sad even though I'm really, really trying to do it gently.

How could latch problems start at age 3? I really don't know what to do about this. I hadn't been wanting to wean her completely. Today I asked her to suck on my finger and sure enough the teeth clamped down, but when I tried to show her what she was doing she didn't understand it. What I mean is that although I think she understood the words, I don't think she had an understanding of how she needed to move her body. Like when you're teaching a toddler how put on clothes.

Any advice? I'm really sad, don't want our nursing relationship to end this way.
#2 of 4 Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any great advise it could just me a phase, but I do know some kids just start to forget how to latch correctly, I'm not sure if it happens as "young" as that though.

I would just keep trying to get her to understand what you are trying to explain to her and hopefully you two can resolve it. I would be sad if my nursing relationship ended that way as well.

I hope things get better for you.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM

I saw another post that mentioned the possibility of milk drying up? I know nothing about this but am in the same boat- almost 3yo and nursing hurts everytime- I tell her nice mamma milk, no bite, use big mouth and she seems sad and confused. I definitely don't want to end our nursing relationship on this note.
#4 of 4 Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalball00 View Post
I saw another post that mentioned the possibility of milk drying up? I know nothing about this but am in the same boat- almost 3yo and nursing hurts everytime- I tell her nice mamma milk, no bite, use big mouth and she seems sad and confused. I definitely don't want to end our nursing relationship on this note.
I'm in the same boat, and I feel absolutely horrible about the situation. My Dd is so tense about nursing before bed and that makes it so much worse. She can't figure out what I am asking her to do (she's just 26 mo). We are both so stressed and she is acting angry and sad throughout the day. I'm not sure what to do. I have worked hard at securing our attachment primarily through bfing and I'm scared that such an emotionally negative ending to nursing will sabotage our relationship.

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page