Worried my 10.5 month old is nursing so little - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10.5 month old is only nursing when he is being rocked to sleep for his 2 naps and bedtime. He'll nurse for about 2 min one other time, but then he is off to explore.
So... this is my day with him nursing (I also have 3 year old twins)

7:00am wake-up - he may nurse one side for maybe 3 min (not emptied at all). I do offer him 'breakfast' its only 1-2oz of some fruit or something small cause I want him to nurse. Somedays he doesn't get anything cause I just want him to nurse.

9:00am down to nap.. he'll nurse both sides

11:00 (wake up from nap and he will get a bit of solids for lunch. Maybe an organic yogurt (yobaby) and a couple oz of fruit.

12:30/1:00 down to nap... he'll nurse both sides

4:30 he may drink one side for a couple min - but not empty the breast

5:00 some veggies for 'dinner' (maybe 4 oz or so)

6:30ish - bedtime and he will nurse both sides

10/12pm sometime when I go to bed I will go in and see if he will wake to nurse both sides. If he is too sleepy then I will go pump. He doesn't really wake up to nurse most nights anymore unless I go to him and see if he will rouse. I feel bad waking him to nurse, but he nurses so much more efficiently than my pump could ever do and I want to keep my supply up.

So that is about 3 big sessions and 1 little one in the day... and 1 big one at night.
Thats not very much according to what I've read. I really want to nurse him a long time. I'm not ready for him to wean or go down too much. Is this a stage? He has been doing this for probably a couple months now, but I am trying to make sure my supply stays up. I'm worried to let my body go 6:30pm to 9:00am without pumping/breastfeeding so I wake him or pump one time between there.

I try to make sure I nurse him in a quiet area so he doesn't get distracted. Does this get any better!?

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
#2 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 AM

It is a really distractable time for kiddos. I was worried my dd was nursing too little at that age but supply wasn't a concern as I was tandem. I know 4 times a day doesn't seem like much but if he is draining both breasts each time he could be getting alot of milk. You could try nursing when he wakes up and before meals. Keep offering, I think you will be fine.
#3 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
It is a really distractable time for kiddos. I was worried my dd was nursing too little at that age but supply wasn't a concern as I was tandem. I know 4 times a day doesn't seem like much but if he is draining both breasts each time he could be getting alot of milk. You could try nursing when he wakes up and before meals. Keep offering, I think you will be fine.
Thanks a lot. I sure hope its okay. I know I have dipped a bit in supply, but nothing too much to get me worried. I'm guessing he probably drinks maybe 8-10 oz or so if he's emptying both breasts at a good feeding. So that would be like 40+ oz in a day probably. He's not a huge solid's eater and he has a bit of some minor oral aversions to some textures (my mom diagnosis, not a dr) , so he's been slowing introduced to solids and has had a big breastmilk diet for his 10.5 months. He currently eats stage 3 food just fine and puffs, etc... but most other things aren't for him yet. He'll get there. He's ahead on every other developmental milestone and he's a sweetheart.

#4 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, should I stop waking him to nurse??? Let him sleep maybe? I only rub his belly and if he wakes easily he will want me to hold him and nurse him, but if I rub his belly and he is sound-asleep I'll leave him be and go pump.

#5 of 6 Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 AM

I don't think you are hurting anything seeing if he will rouse to nurse for you. I totally get you on the pump not being effective enough, I am still engorged. If it was me for my own comfort I would try to wake the sleeping baby.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also worried that my DD was going to self-wean around this age, and posted to my local La Leche League listserv about it. Their responses were so helpful and turned out to be right on target! Yes, what you're experiencing is very common -- 10-12 month olds often go through a period where they're so interested in exploring that they cut down on how much they nurse or even refuse to nurse. If you keep offering, though, througout the day, they will return to nursing and it will increase again -- it's a temporary phase. For my DD, it didn't last long at all.

People pointed out that for moms who want to wean, this tends to be an easy time to do it. I've met several women (including my own mother) who told me that their baby "weaned him/herself" at this age -- they didn't realize that if they kept offering the little one almost certainly would not have weaned at this age.

Personally, I would not pump unless you're truly uncomfortable -- I would trust your body and your baby to regulate your milk production. When he needs/wants more milk, it will increase again. And I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby unless you're engorged.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page