can nursing cause morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am desperate to find a "cure" to my morning sickness. With my first, I felt great after the first trimester. This time, I still feel very sick and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I can't live like this much longer. I am wondering if breastfeeding could make my m/s worse. Anyone knows ? But at the same time, I don't even know how I would wean DS. BF is the only way I know of putting him to sleep...please tell me it will get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 AM

Any chance your dates are off or you are having multiples? Are you able to eat small amounts frequently? What have you tried?
#3 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Nursing definitely made me feel sick while pregnant. And it hurt a lot for a while. Sorry, I don't have any solution. I also had a DD who loved to nurse and I almost weaned her, decided to tough it out and then she ended up weaning when I was about 6-7 months along and had switched over totally to colostrum/dried up.

Tjej
#4 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am not having twins and my dates are not off according to the U/S. So.....I don't know, I feel like nursing could be part of the problem but not sure. I'm really thinking about weaning because anyway I don't feel like I have a lot of milk left...we will see
#5 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me, the morning sickness was worst with my first baby, even though I nursed through the next three pregnancies and not the first one (obviously).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 PM

I have not yet nursed while pregnant, but I have had three pregnancies with terrible morning sickness (like, in the hospital with an IV in my arm bad). The best think for me was acupuncture. It was $50 a time, I went twice the first week and once a week after that. I went from throwing up 2-4 times a day while taking a maximum dose of Zofran to throwing up once a week.

Just something to consider.
#7 of 8 Old 04-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Each pregnancy is different, so the extended m/s may just be the course this pregnancy is taking. I have two relatives who in their first pregnancies had m/s only in the first trimester, and but in their second pregnancies had it well into the second trimester. Neither one was nursing while pregnant.

Mother of Mosole 5/23/2009
#8 of 8 Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Had horrible morning sickness throughout both my pregnancies and have never nursed through pregnancy. Assumed it was due to twins during my first pregnancy, when I lost 10# by the time I was 8 weeks pregnant. I tried all the mainstream "solutions" without any success, including the medical treatments of vitamin B6 injections, which helped minimally; prescription anti-nausea suppositories and oral meds; OTC unisom and B6. It got better after the 1st trimester but never went away. With my 2nd pregnancy, same thing with a single baby. The only thing that made it "better" was that I'd learned what tricks helped: making sure to eat protein EVERY TIME I ate something, eating a small amout every 1-2 hours, avoiding high-carbohydrate meals, avoiding drinking large amounts of fluid at one time.

Oxytocin is released w/ breastfeeding and also with eating. . . I wonder if this might have something to do with it. Do you feel worse (more nauseous) while nursing?

Also: "Dysphoric Milk Ejection Reflex is a newly recognized condition affecting lactating women that is characterized by an abrupt
dysphoria, or negative emotions that occur just before milk release
and continuing not more then a few minutes." This can include nausea. Here is a link to the website for more information, it's all very interesting:
http://www.d- mer.org/Home_ Page.html

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page