nursing standing up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 18 month old daughter came for a nip of breastmilk while I was sitting on my brother's couch. He said, "Why don't you hold her to nurse her?" I said, "Sometimes she just wants to nurse standing up like a baby cow." My daughter stopped, looked up at me, and said, "MOOOO." You had to have been there, it was hilarious.

I know some mothers won't tolerate nursing in strange positions, but I'll nurse my baby even if she's standing on her head in bed! As long as it isn't hurting me (and it hurts if she's twisting my nipple in her mouth as she's changing position), I'm fine.

She also has a slightly annoying habit of sometimes wanting to switch back and forth between breasts every few seconds. I THINK that is when she' not really very hungry, but is more playful.
#2 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmom66 View Post
My daughter stopped, looked up at me, and said, "MOOOO." You had to have been there, it was hilarious.
#3 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM

LOL what a cute story!
#4 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmom66 View Post
My 18 month old daughter came for a nip of breastmilk while I was sitting on my brother's couch. He said, "Why don't you hold her to nurse her?" I said, "Sometimes she just wants to nurse standing up like a baby cow." My daughter stopped, looked up at me, and said, "MOOOO." You had to have been there, it was hilarious.

I know some mothers won't tolerate nursing in strange positions, but I'll nurse my baby even if she's standing on her head in bed! As long as it isn't hurting me (and it hurts if she's twisting my nipple in her mouth as she's changing position), I'm fine.

She also has a slightly annoying habit of sometimes wanting to switch back and forth between breasts every few seconds. I THINK that is when she' not really very hungry, but is more playful.
OK, first how awesome that your brother was so cool about it Mine would have freaked out about her being too old and ZOMG! why are you doing THAT in front of ME?!!!(you're my sister! I don't want to know you have boobs!!!)
My two kids are so different nursing wise. My first loved to stand and nurse, she was a little acrobat my second, well, she doesn't care for standing while nursing. I mean, if its absolutely necessary she will but otherwise loves to be held while nursing.

"moooo" thats too funny

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#5 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM

We call that drive-by nursing.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristydi View Post

we call that drive-by nursing.
lol!!!
#7 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
OK, first how awesome that your brother was so cool about it Mine would have freaked out about her being too old and ZOMG! why are you doing THAT in front of ME?!!!(you're my sister! I don't want to know you have boobs!!!)
My two kids are so different nursing wise. My first loved to stand and nurse, she was a little acrobat my second, well, she doesn't care for standing while nursing. I mean, if its absolutely necessary she will but otherwise loves to be held while nursing.
Yeah, I don't remember my older 2 having the same toddler nursing style.

My brother is okay as long as I don't totally expose myself. He is the oldest of 6 and my mother breastfed all of us, and she'd plop her breast out in front of all of us. Now, I shared the story on facebook and my younger brother said "OMG, Good Grief! That is just so wrong on so many levels" LOL, I told him he just didn't get it.

I have an 11 year old son who is totally indifferent, but my soon to be 13 year old daughter will rush to cover me a little more if she thinks I'm too exposed.

The trouble is, after the baby is a certain age, it is hard to be discreet--you never know when they will detach or yank back the covering (or pull off to say "MOO"). I'm not ashamed, but I do try to be discreet for the comfort of others.

I just LOVE breastfeeding!!!! There are mothers at my church with kids less than a year who are giving their kids formula and I want to shake my head and ask "WHY?" but I know many of them weren't as determined as I was to breastfeed and overcome issues (and breastfeeding doesn't always come naturally--this was my 3rd baby to breastfeed and I still had the lactation consultant called to my room so often I was almost embarassed, but was glad I had a c-section so I had time in the hospital to get established!).and also I think maybe everyone doesn't enjoy it as much as me? I get the feeling that some people find it more convenient to mix up a bottle of powdered formula. I know breastfeeding is somewhat confining--I'm limited to what clothes I can wear and have easy access in, but I think the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience.

I don't know what to say to the other mothers, I try to make non-threatening inquiries--one mother is down to 2 feedings a day because it looks like her child is weaning himself, so how can I argue with that? But other mothers had problems getting enough milk into the babies to get them to gain enough weight. I asked if she was feeding "on demand" and she said, "Yes, every 2 hours!" So, I wonder if I should try to offer advice. I guess it is enough if I EMPHATICALLY tell every new mother--IF YOU HAVE NURSING PROBLEMS (and you can expect them), CALL ME AND I'LL TRY TO HELP!!" and then the ball is in their court. It is a personal decision, after all, and I don't think they'd like me pushing them to breastfeed any more than I would want them pushing me to wean.
#8 of 8 Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Not on here much but that is too cute!! If I am laying on the couch my 1yr old will come up and want to nurse standing and I love it I think its great that your brother is so cool with it.

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page