Nursing while pregnant will make toddler sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me this is absurd....

I am 15 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 18 month son. He nurses about once a day and its mostly a comfort thing. DS just came down with a fever two days ago and on the second day threw up twice. His fever is gone as of this morning and he seems to be feeling well. I figure it's just a bug and his body is doing what it needs to clear everything out. However, I was told by my mother-in-law that doctors say "if a child nurses while mom is pregnant then the milk can make him sick." In other words...my milk is making him sick.

Is this true?? I've never heard of anything like this. I always thought nursing while pregnant was safe as long as I make sure I get enough nutrients for all parties. I know the taste can change so the child will sometimes stop nursing but the idea of the milk actually making the child sick...fever, vomiting, etc.

Please enlighten me someone (or help me enlighten my mother-in-law)

Katie, a lone woman in a house of all boys! Wife to Alex and mother of Gabriel (10/10/08) and Sorin (10/16/10). Ce lumea trista ar fi fara copii!

#2 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Not true!!! http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#3 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Not true!!!

When your milk changes to colostrum your toddler may have more frequent bowel movements - with poop more like a baby - perhaps that is where this myth originated?
#4 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. That is what I thought. My mother-in-law comes from Eastern Europe and obviously from a different generation so sometimes she has some crazy theories.

Thanks for link Dmitirizmom!

Katie, a lone woman in a house of all boys! Wife to Alex and mother of Gabriel (10/10/08) and Sorin (10/16/10). Ce lumea trista ar fi fara copii!

#5 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM

#6 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=mamika;15316206]My mother-in-law comes from Eastern Europe and obviously from a different generation so sometimes she has some crazy theories. QUOTE]

I nursed my first baby throughout my second's gestation and the only complaint we had was that my milk supply decreased. I felt very good about being able to nurse even 3 times a day (mostly to sleep) and I know it is healthy.

My baby's grandmother is Turkish and I wonder what sort of "old wives' tales" we'll encounter. She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Turkish, so if she says anything, I'll get it second hand.

She didn't like it when I gave the baby a chicken leg bone to chew on when she was teething--don't know why, there wasn't anyone there with us to translate.

And the baby's Dad seems obsessed with keeping the baby warm. Me pediatrician said more babies die from overbundling than having cold hands.
#7 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Not true at all. I know many moms that nursed their toddler through the pregancy with not problem. I nursed my oldest all the way with not isssue, I'm now tandem nursing my kiddos. We're all fine and healthy.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#8 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM

My father told me once that if you eat the green part of the watermelon rind that it will give me cancer. I always believed up until about a year ago that the green part of the rind was bad for you.

At times I wonder why people just make up ridiculous reasons why you shouldn't be doing an act. They can't come up with a logical, rational reason for why you shouldn't be doing what they themselves would never do, so they make something up to try to gain control over your actions. The person they told believes them, passes on the info, and a new urban myth is born.

Put it out of your mind -- it is a load of hogwash.
#9 of 13 Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Have you been speaking to my family???? They think the child will become disabled if they nurse from their pregnant mom. Sometimes I wanted to get pregnant and continue nursing DS just to prove to them that that was crazy talk. And the only reason I knew any better is because I learned it from MDC!!

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
#10 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm always on the pro-breastfeeding side of things... but based on what happens with my kids I would say there's a possibility that there is some truth in this.  When I was nursing dd and pregnant with ds, dd would vomit every time she nursed, and after a few days of that I just went ahead and weaned her (she was 19months).  She stopped throwing up right after that.

Now I'm pregnant again and ds just vomited right after nursing.  I'm definitely not going to do anything rash with ds since he is just 13 months, but if this keeps up, honestly I would consider weaning again.  I get pretty bad morning sickness, so maybe my milk just passes on a lot more of those hormones than average?  I've read that pregnancy hormones do pass into the milk.

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#11 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, it won't make your LO sick. But the milk does change and I have heard of nursing toddlers refusing it or have it looser stools.

#12 of 13 Old 11-21-2013, 05:53 PM

I know that this thread is old, but I was searching for info if breastfeeding while pregnant would make my baby throw up. He has been throwing up after nursing for about 3 weeks, and I just found out I was pregnant. My conclusion is that there is something in his milk that is making his tummy upset. 

#13 of 13 Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM

If it makes a difference, my ds just threw up once or twice at the very beginning of my third pregnancy (when I posted the above) and then didn't anymore... I went on to nurse him to 18 months.

I don't know what I'd do if I were you, Jessica.  That's a long time to be doing that consistently.  How old is your nurseling?

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page