has anyone ever attempted this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not even sure if this will be successful, normal, or acceptable?

However, I am about have another baby in October, and I plan to breastfeed of course. With my first child, (she is now 2), I was unable to breastfeed her (looong story- I still cry about it.), I have always wanted to make it up to her, she had my colostrum, but that was about it.

So I was wondering after I establish breastfeeding with my new baby, would it work out by giving my then 3 year old some either expressed milk or let her drink it from me? maybe 1 feed a day. Would it be beneficial? Health wise for sure! But what will people say? can I keep it secret because of what they might think? Or is it going to mess with her head?

My reasoning is that it will be healthy, immune enhancing, at least making up for it a little bit, and she will feel included (i think emotionally and mentally it will be ok, but im open to hear what others say)...

Anyone know of people who have done this? I would like to know if its possible and get some support if I choose to do this.

Some questions:

She doesn't have the bottle any more, so maybe I would have to express it and give it to her in a cup?

Will expressing milk affect my milk supply for my new baby, or will I just keep producing more and more?

I am looking forward to suggestions, I have months to figure this out!! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Your 2 year old probably won't nurse at the breast as such as the sucking skills won't necessarily be there - however, expressing milk off for your 2 year old is a really good idea - IMO, there can only be benefits, again IMO.

Breastmilk can be used as a substitute in cooking - in fact somewhere on the net theres a recipe book using just breastmilk! You can use it in anything really so putting a little in a cup would be a wonderful way of getting extra health protection and lots of other benefits too.

Tandem breastfeeding can help with a multitude of things undersupply - stimulating the breast more so that the newborn has more milk, oversupply taking off the excess milk so your baby doesn't get overwhelmed by too much milk. To answer your question - in most cases your body will adapt and produce the amount of milk necessary to feed one, two or three or even more babies - we need to have confidence in our bodies and how they can adapt and provide for our children - this sometimes is more than half the battle.

From a tandem breastfeeding experience we had a very good relationship, if dd was nursing she would invite her brother over to join her and vice versa; personally I know that our kids have a very close relationship and although there are disagreements - there's always going to be, we don't experience this in the granditude that others do, this may be due to the temperament of the children or due to the sharing when tendem nursing - not sure which but probably I prefer to hear that its due to the tendem nursing - lol.

I'd go for it if I were you - there worst thing your dd could do is say no!! You'll get nothing but support from me!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 3 Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much that's great advice.

I just feel it's the right thing to do.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page