What does "beyond infancy" mean to you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, because my LO is almost a year old, and in my family, I think they think that one year is beyond infancy. I'm asking because we have a birthday party coming up, and I can see the eyebrows raising up now, as I nurse my one-year-old several times a day, down for her nap, at night frequently...I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Where is the line between infancy and "beyond"? I lurk on this board quite a bit, wondering when I will be Beyond.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 AM

I think of it as beyond the first year. It seems to be what others consider extended breastfeeding since a lot of parents start to give cow's milk after the 1st birthday.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 AM

I consider infancy over at 1 year old but honestly I have a hard time with that. My 14 month old still seems like an infant in a lot of ways... yes, she seems like a toddler too.. but not a full blown one. its kind of blurred for me between the first and second birthday although I tell people I have a toddler now.
#4 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 AM

I guess it is around a year, but I think the title of this section is like that for a few reasons. This is just my opinion but I think that the challenges they mention in the description are what seperates infants from toddlers: teeth, gynmastics while nursing, biting, talking while nursing, tantrums and nursing, still being sleep deprived after a year of night nursing and of course "society's" view of "still" nursing. For me a lot of these changes happened early because I have an early walker and talker and for some they come much later than year. One the other hand because she is a tiny thing I get a break on the LOOK when we are in public at almost 18 months now. I am going to a family reunion and dd will be almost 20 months (OMG, did I just type that!) There are several cousins within a few months and even weeks of her - none of whom are still nursing (if they were at all Im not sure for more than a few weeks or months) so it will be interesting to see some reactions. Like you I have no plans to stop anytime soon. Neither does she thats for sure!
#5 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 AM

I considered infancy to end around 12/13mo. Very shortly after that DS became a true toddler with many of the behaviours Shanny2032 listed.

IMO, bfing beyong "infancy" is at least clearer than "extended" breastfeeding. THAT really gets a variety of responses!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#6 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I am having a revelation-moment here. My DD is big for her age. When we tell people she's 11 months they are so surprised, expecting her to be much older. But she totally is my "little baby" still, and we nurse a lot! I didn't really realize I am already entering the time when people will give me 'The Look'. It feels so natural to me to BF her, and to think that people are looking at us like something is wrong...just feels wrong.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#7 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM

The term "infant" usually applies to babies under a year old. Like another PP, for us "toddlerhood" began earlier than 1 year.. He was walking at 9.5 months, and talked early as well. He has always been ahead on everything for his age, and big for his age too. But, the universal term for "infant" is before one year old.

Although, the original latin derived definition means "one who cannot yet talk" or something like that.... In that case my DS ceased to be an infant at 6 months old..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#8 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree - somewhere around a year. At 12 months ds was still very much a baby but then it seemed like one day around 13 months he was very definitely a toddler.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 12 Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM

I think of it beyond a year since alot of people put limits on nursing only until a year. With that said, my 14 month old is still very much a baby in my mind. He's my first that I've nursed past a year. Luckily, my family is all very supportive, and my mom did extended nursing with all her kids.
#10 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
I guess I am having a revelation-moment here. My DD is big for her age. When we tell people she's 11 months they are so surprised, expecting her to be much older. But she totally is my "little baby" still, and we nurse a lot! I didn't really realize I am already entering the time when people will give me 'The Look'. It feels so natural to me to BF her, and to think that people are looking at us like something is wrong...just feels wrong.
Ha! I could have written this post. DD is almost a year (couple of weeks now) and she is a big girl. Chubby and huge huge cheeks! Just yesterday I got a question about "what am I feeding the piglet?"

My family knows I am still nursing on demand (which feels like constantly) and for the most part I think they know enough not to ask me when I will stop because they will be met with a tongue lashing. Although I rarely NIP, DD will literally not stay still to nurse and will just pop on and off until we go to a very boring quiet place. I have started to get those side-ways looks which I happily return with a glare. Why are they staring anyway? I swear I don't get it sometimes.

She is still such a baby in so many ways, she just started walking. Despite being quite big she still looks like a baby because she is a baby! Sigh mostly I think people like to put down Bfing past infancy because in most cases they maybe did it to only six months if that. Nothing makes you feel better about your own choices I suppose than making fun of someone else's
#11 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think of it as when the toddler "nursing challenges" start. Infants pretty much quietly and happily nurse. Gymnastics, teeth, biting. And of course, when you've reached an age when "society" considers it "beyond" to "still" be nursing.

I guess I first started checking out this board when DD and I reached a year or so of nursing...

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#12 of 12 Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Well, "beyond infancy" is beyond the 12th month of life BUT to ensure good health a child should be nursed (or receive BM) until they are 24 months and beyond. If you're family finds that this is strange... you can refer them to the WHO website . You're doing great Mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page