Advice on leaving a breastfed baby/toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son just turned 12 months old last week. He nurses before each nap and bedtime and sometimes 1x at night. He''s a very easy-going, happy baby (always has been). He eats solid food, drinks from a cup. My husband and I (and my baby) are leaving for New Orleans for 2 nights this week. However, I'm considering leaving my baby home with my mom (she's going to be caring for our twin 3 year olds as well and she's willing to watch my baby too). I tried a bottle with him yesterday and he knew how to drink from it (he never took a bottle) so I think he'd drink a bottle before naps and bed. I think he'd miss me but he'd do okay if we left him home friday morning thru sunday afternoon. My concern is whether or not he would nurse when I get home.
Do I take him and disrupt his schedule? I am a photographer and I'm photographing my best friend's wedding in new orleans so he wouldn't be napping or anything like normal. We have 4 planes to catch (2 there, 2 back) and he'll want to be crawling all over the plane. Aside from the nursing issue, he'd probably be happier at home.
But my concern is the breastfeeding. Is it okay to leave him home? Will he nurse when I return? Is this harder on him to leave him home (he LOVES grandma) and give him a bottle when he normally nurses?
Breastmilk is a decent part of his diet, but not the majority like it used to be even a month ago or so.
I'm so torn. The wife in me wants a weekend with my husband, but the mom in me wants to do whatever is best for my baby.
Advice?

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

any thoughts? I'd appreciate it

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm sure he will nurse when you get home. Have fun! (You may want to bring a pump along to take care of engorgement issues.)

User Tag List