night weaning my 16 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about night weaning my 16 month old daughter in the next month. I'm waiting until my husband has an easier schedule so he can take over a lot of the night time parenting for a while.

The reason I want to night wean is that my daughter sleeps very erratically during the night- sometimes she only wakes once or twice and is easy to get back down and that's fine, but she often wakes many times per night and is very difficult to get back to sleep. It is really wearing on me, and I'm finding myself a lot shorter with her and my husband. My patience is thin, my brain isn't functioning, and I'm becoming a much less nice person and frankly it scares me. So I think maybe night weaning will help. I am going to try.

We don't cosleep anymore, mainly because we live in a small apartment and our bedroom is in the same big room as our livingroom and kitchen. I do bring DD into bed with us when we're having a particularly rough night, but I try to avoid doing this because DH usually wakes up really early and if he eats breakfast it disturbs DD's sleep.

So anyway, my plan is to let DH take over all night-comforting between the hours of midnight and 5am. Outside of those hours I'll still nurse. DH occasionally does get out of bed to care for DD, and he is usually but not always able to get her back to sleep. So we know that she accepts him for comfort. If I take care of DD I have to nurse her back down, she will accept no other form of comfort from me. But to be honest I rarely try anything else, as soon as she cries I just nurse her.

I think we'll try this for a week or two and see what happens. Any tips, advice, etc?

One additional issue is that DD is teething and has been for a while. She's getting her molars in. It seems like her teething has subsided a little, and maybe in a few weeks she'll be even better. Last night I gave her teething tablets and she slept better than usual.
#2 of 2 Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I nightweaned DD starting at 9/10 months using the Jay Gordon method - search on internet for full details. I know he recommends starting no earlier than 12 months but I was desperate. The helped reduce night feedings between 11pm and 3am. Now, at 19 months, DD only wakes once around 4am, then wakes around 5/5.30 and feeds until wake-up time around 6. There've been quite a few times recently when she's missed the 4am feed altogether, bliss. The method is basically to gradually reduce the amount of time you feed for at night - so I started feeding for around 5 mins at a time (I just guessed to be honest) and did that for a few days, then cut down to 2 mins (which I timed by singing in my head) for a week, cut that down to 1 min, cut down to literally a few sucks, then just patting. DD did really well, with each transition she cried for a very short time, maybe max a couple of minutes after I'd cut her off. Whenever she's teething the feeds go up again but then come back down. I'd really recommend that method. Good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page