Help! My ds says "I can't get any milkies out"! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2nd son will be 3 in October. He is my only nursling right now as I weaned my oldest when he turned 4 (they are 2-years apart). Over the past month or more he has been increasingly saying that he can't get any milk out and insisting on changing sides a zillion times during nursing. I have started to limit the number of times we can switch sides and at first that was okay even though he still said he couldn't get any out but now he is becoming more frustrated with the lack of milk.

I am not sure what to do. It is causing a lot of grief in our household and I am somewhat interested in weaning but really wanted to nurse him as long as he wanted (or up to my limit eventually).

I have tried mother's milk tea but am probably not drinking it enough. I hear oatmeal can help, but how often do you need to eat it? Is there any hope of my supply returning? Anything I can do to help it? Anything I should see my doctor about to find out if something is wrong that might affect supply?

Thanks for your help.
Aubrie

~Mama to Skye (5) and Oden (3)
visit my handmade marketplace:  averywren.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Mine dried up at about that age with my 2nd. First one side then the other (over 3 months) after getting the flu. I was ready to wean though as the feeling of him sucking a dry boob was too much. Sorry no help...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Could you be pregnant?

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it did seem to start with him preferring one side over the other. I have an IUD (non-hormonal) so I am 99.9% sure I am not pregnant. I did just look up some herbs and will try fenugreek tomorrow, I think.

I was quite shocked when it first happened because a) I have always had a lot of milk and b) my breasts seem to feel just as "full" (not that full really explains them at 2.75 yrs post birth!) as they did before he started saying this. I guess I assumed they would get more "normal" sized if my milk was drying up.

Thanks for the thoughts...

~Mama to Skye (5) and Oden (3)
visit my handmade marketplace:  averywren.wordpress.com
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
spu

fenugreek works well. you have to take a ton of it. i don't recall the exact amount - check kellymom.com. good luck! i took it 3x / day to spread it out.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM

We are having the same thing going on here. DD is 2 1/2 our supply definatly doesn't equal demand!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu View Post
fenugreek works well. you have to take a ton of it. i don't recall the exact amount - check kellymom.com. good luck! i took it 3x / day to spread it out.
6000mg spread 3x's per day. I take More Milk Special Blend alcohol free (the alcohol one bothers my stomache for the first week) and eat oatmeal once everyday.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 AM

The switching is a little ones way to produce more let downs and get your supply going. I would suggest contacting LLL for help. There is a great toddler nursing LLL group where I live.

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08

User Tag List