Can BF tod while TTC throw off preg test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X-posted in Trying to Conceive:

Hi all, I'm 44 yrs old, had my 1st babe Dec 08 (18 months now), am still breastfeeding her, and AF came back about 6 months ago. Even though AF started slight and light, it's been just as regular as before that pregnancy.

I also had 2 miscarriages before DD was born - one that just happened with no warning, the other we didn't discover until a doc's visit and ultrasound showed the fetus hadn't made it. After that 2nd discovery, I waited several weeks for it to miscarry and it never did, had to have a D&C (so basically fetus didn't come out on its own as long as 4 weeks after it demised cuz by time doc saw it, 2 weeks had passed).

Soooo... we're TTC again, and AF was due last Thurs. Again, I'm super regular so Sat is the latest it should have come. No AF. Tested with home Preg Test Sat and again this morning, negative.

Called my doc's, they said you have to wait 2 weeks to be sure one way or another what's going on, so they don't want to see me until I'm 14 days past my expected 1st AF date and want me to test at home then and then call.

But because I've been so regular, and always tested positive a couple days after missed AF, I'm concerned. Would love to just believe I'm preggers and it hasn't shown up yet, but I'm worried that if it's negative it means either a) not pregnant, wasn't pregnant, but something's wrong cuz why no AF? or b) I was pregnant or am pregnant but not enough preg hormones to register which doesn't bode well? (I'm not sure that's true, just asking).

SO that's a REALLY long way of asking: for someone who's super regular, is 2 days (really 4 days) passed missed AF date but negative test, does that sound problematic? Or do really regular people breastfeeding sometimes get weird responses....?

Any ideas what might be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Breastfeeding should not change a pregnancy test result. I think it is just plain silly they are asking you to wait 2 weeks, especially at 44. Even though you have always been regular your age is a factor so I would insist they get you in for a blood test.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
spu

when DS was born, AF came back around 5 mos, or so i thought. i never really had a period - just some spotting. but then nothing. so a few months later, after being ridiculously tired, sore nipples, cranky, dizzy, nauseous, i called my mw. she said if i was always regular, i wouldn't suddenly become not regular, and that if i was bf, and my periods came back, nursing wouldn't cause them to become irregular or go away. then she told me to take a test and call back monday. well, apparently, i was pg, and didn't even realize it. i was 9 weeks along. you'd think i'd know as it was baby #4!

i'd try retesting, or use another kit. you could have a blood test done instead. maybe the otc tests aren't sensitive enough to pick up anything so early?

keep us posted. i hope all is well for you.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated. I definitely wondered if my age had anything to do with it, but I kinda always thought just what you said spu, that if I'd been super regular my whole life, and again when AF came back after DD, this seems like it must be something other than just wonky periods...

But I just took another test this morning, still negative. I'm gonna try to get in to my doc early next week for a blood test if there's no other developments.

Oh also, I went home early from work yesterday because I'm coming down with a head cold. I stopped pumping at work about 3 months ago and my supply went down enough that I'm rarely super full by the time I pick DD up (full but not dripping). When I took my bra off last night - a good 2 hours before I'd usually pick DD up - I was dripping so much milk I got it all over the bed. That is really unusual, hasn't been like that since before DD was 12 months. And I've been a little dizzy last couple mornings.

We shall see... I'll report back. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Well I guess that mystery is solved... even though the timing is totally wonky considering when I should have ovulated, I saw my doc a full week after missed period and they got BFN urine test in the office but BFP blood test! Went back 3 days later, BFP again and the #s look right, so we're cautiously but happily pregnant!

But it's super early days and I've had 2 m/c's so we're being very quiet and cautious and that's what we'll do for awhile. Just wanted to share here b/c I appreciate you guys who gave your thoughts.

Oh, and I got in a week early to OB by calling the only midwife they have on staff there and her saying "Of course we'll see you today - we need to find out what's going on!" I may have to think about switching OBs now cuz I really didn't like that assistant (who's new) who insisted no one wants to see me until 14 days late, regardless of my history. Phooey!

Thanks!

User Tag List