WOHM, 13mo not taking milk during the day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD started refusing milk from my care provider during the day. I have asked her to try it in a cup, cold, warm, etc...with no success. I have offered it to her in a cup and she will take it. My provider says that she will take water and juice, but not milk. She will nurse from me if I'm around, although I have noticed she is definitely more distracted during the day, which I know is normal. I'm just surprised because she doesn't necessarily nurse much once I get home either, usually it's just for a bit and she falls to sleep. She does co-sleep and nurses a fair amount at night, but even that has seemed to slow down recently. Do I push it during the day? Is she weaning?

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#2 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Our DS1 was in daycare while I WOHM. He started refusing pumped milk during the daytime when he was about 10 months old. The daycare wasn't allowed to offer him any other drinks at that age without a doctor's note, and he would literally go all day without drinking anything. He was enthusiastically nursing when I was home, and all night long though. Since he was nursing so much when I was at home, and it wasn't good that he was going all day without liquids, his doctor agreed that he should be offered water or other types of milk during the day. He ended up having water and a little enriched soy milk at daycare after that. He continued to nurse a lot at home and at night. He didn't actually completely wean until he was four ! So I don't equate refusal of pumped milk with the beginning of weaning. He just got pickier about where the milk came from. For determining if she is weaning, I would look more to her nursing behavior at home.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#3 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Just a suggestion if nothing else works for you...maybe if you work near her daycare, you can swing by during your lunch break to have a quick nursing session. Have you tried offering your milk in bottles, sippy cups and cups to see if she has a preference?

Puerto Rican breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, baby food-making mama
#4 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I do work nearby, so that's a great suggestion, my work is somewhat sporatic so I was afraid that if I didn't make it by consistently that would be bad, and my work is flexible, but I can't completely change my schedule all the time (sometimes I have to travel). Plus it can disrupt her day, she usually wants me to stay once I'm home

I did find out that she was being offered after she had already eaten...so I asked her to offer milk first, yesterday she took 4 oz in the morning. We have tried all kinds of ways, bottles, sippy cups, regular cups, cold, hot, luke warm. I just don't think she was pushing the issue with dd.

I can totally see how she is getting more picky...why take the pumped stuff if you can wait to get it from the tap! I was hoping to get her to switch to eating more during the day than at night because I might have to go away, and it will be harder on dh to feed her through the night...but we will just make it work.

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#5 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Well, I'm glad you realized what the problem was. I always make sure my baby is offered milk about two hours before eating.

#6 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 09:45 AM

My baby is 7months and at this point, milk is top priority over solid foods. Both are necessary though.

#7 of 7 Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM

my 13 m/o son won't always take my expressed milk from my husband or dcp when i am away. recently, i went to a birth (i'm an apprentice midwife) and was gone over 16 hours. in that time he took just one 4 oz bottle from dh. dh fed him and gave him water and diluted apple juice the rest of the time. he was happy to see me when i got home and he nursed a little longer than usual, but he really was ok for that time. he also no longer takes a bottle during the 4 hours i'm out of the house, 3 times a week. with this, i find he is starting to make up for it at night, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page