No af at 18 months yet - experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're gearing up for #2 so I'm curious about others who went this long or longer without a period (we're at 18 months now). Did you have to night wean or make other changes for af / ovulation to return? DD still nurses a lot during the day, and most nights she cosleeps and nurses for part of the night. This is anywhere from 6-10 hours in the crib (still fairly rare) to nursing all night. Could the occasional longer stretches encourage the return of fertility? If it took a while for af to return, did you ovulate right away or did it take a while? Would love to hear any experiences.
#2 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 PM

my daughter is 19 months old, is still nursing, and my period has not returned yet.....this seems like a long time to me. with my son who is now 3 1/2, i got my period back after about 8 months (and he nursed until he was 3, i tandem nursed for quite a while!) so i dont know, some people seem to get theirs back much sooner. with my son, he was almost constantly nursing, and my period returned, i got pregnant while nursing him, and nursing him obviously didnt interfere with my fertility. with my daughter, it seems like my cycle is taking forever to come back, and it feels strange to say that i cant wait to get my period...to get back into a rhythm!..i started taking some chinese herbs, and some ashwaganda, and i am hoping that will help bring my hormones back into balance. best of luck to you!
#3 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm going on 24 months . . . From everything I've read I think it's the night nursing. I'm giving up pumping in August and wondering if that will bring my fertility back.
#4 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I got mine back at 26 months pp. I still night nurse and nod during the day. I have no idea why I got it back.. It seems like I am still nursing all the time.
#5 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM

I had my periods return at 19 mos, but don't think I ovulated until about a year after that. Then I was able to get pregnant, but miscarried twice. It wasn't until 38 mos that I could get pregnant and stay pregnant. I was still nursing at that time, but as my child got older, he nursed less and less. With each pregnancy I gained a little weight too. I think that helped to. I was way under my pre-pregnancy weight and once I was closer to it, nursing less, ect my luteal phase got longer and I could be pregnant.

I really felt that at time that my son was telling my body that he was not ready for a sibling. I think the almost 4 yr spacing worked really well for them. Of course I didn't feel that initiallly, but I came to feel that.

Good luck to you!
Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
#6 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses. It's so interesting - yesterday I had terrible cramps and swore that af was on the way. This followed two nights of great sleep from dd. Last night she nursed from 12-8am straight more or less and the cramps are gone! We'll see what happens. Kinda hoping to catch the first egg.
#7 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 PM

My DD is 17 months old. I night weaned in April and still haven't gotten mine back. She usually goes from about 8PM to 5AM without nursing, so I thought AF would show up pretty quickly. The only sign that my body *might* be getting back on track is the cystic acne that has been showing up on my chin (oh, joy!). Some days I'm zen about it, other days I'm threatening to start progesterone cream.
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 AM

Maybe you were o'ing?
#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Maybe you were o'ing?
Maybe ... I've had bad cramps the past few days (and a negative pregnancy test, of course ). I've heard it can take the body a while to get back to normal, which can mean months like this.
#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM

I never got my period back after DD2, besides a little spotting, but I caught the first egg and got prego again when she was about 21 months. Good Luck!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#11 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmama View Post
We're gearing up for #2 so I'm curious about others who went this long or longer without a period (we're at 18 months now). Did you have to night wean or make other changes for af / ovulation to return? DD still nurses a lot during the day, and most nights she cosleeps and nurses for part of the night. This is anywhere from 6-10 hours in the crib (still fairly rare) to nursing all night. Could the occasional longer stretches encourage the return of fertility? If it took a while for af to return, did you ovulate right away or did it take a while? Would love to hear any experiences.
DD is 17 mos. with no sign of AF. She only nurses 2-3 times a day, so I'm surprised at the delay, but with no real interest in TTC soon, I'm okay with it now.

I hope you do catch that 1st egg if that's what you're hoping for!

#12 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 AM

I got my period 10 mos after my son was born and wasn't getting pregnant while sort of trying to after he was 15 mos. or so. Nothing happening for a few months after that and then I read on a discussion thread on mothering that taking a B vitamin supplement can help you get pregnant if you are still nursing (there have been some articles that you could probably search for about getting preg. while nursing on mothering). Anyway, I tried it and, like the poster on that thread, got pregnant within one or two cycles. I realize there is no way to prove that the B vitamin did it, but maybe it did, and it is an easy thing to try!
#13 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat too. DD is 18 months, still no AF. She's in daycare all day, sleeps through until morning about half the time, in our bed about half the time. Some days she only nurses a couple of times, other days/nights it seems constant. I've been getting odd feelings since before Christmas that made me think AF was returning. The last 4 days have been particularly suggestive though. Still no AF, and test was negative. Good luck! Let me know what worked!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page