Going back to school. Nursing a 20 month old. Should I pump? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 20 month old nursling, who has never had a bottle in his life. He eats solids and drinks other liquids from a sippy cup, but he's never had breastmilk in any container other than the boob. I'm going back to school next week, so I thought I would break out the little medela mini pump that I have, that I used to pump some milk for a few months, when he was an infant, and then quit pumping, because I was always there to nurse him and he never drank the pumped milk. Anyway, I tried pumping earlier and only a tiny amount came out. He nurses in the morning, afternoon and the evening, and a few points in between at times.

My question is, should I try to pump every day, so that he has milk to drink when I'm at school and he's at the babysitter's house? Or should I just nurse him before I drop him off at the babysitter's house and when I pick him up?

Also, he usually nurses to sleep, for naps and at night time. One of my classes is a night class, from 6-10pm (it's only offered as a night class this semester and I need the class this semester), and he will be at the babysitter's house for naptime 4 days a week.

Does anyone have any tips for getting him to go to sleep for naps and bedtime without me?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Since he already drinks other liquids from a sippy cup, I would not pump for school at this age.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#3 of 3 Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't pump for my 20 month old. My son was 22 months when I went back to school, and I didn't pump at school or at work by then. If you were going to be gone more than 24 hours, I would pump then, but as long as your boobs are told once per day "hey, we still do this" they'll still make milk.

OTOH, if he has trouble napping for the sitter, you may consider pumping, just to give him a taste of mother's milk before nap time. First, though, I'd give him a week or so to see how he does without it.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page