Any way to prevent milk drying up while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just determined I'm pregnant with our second child. I'm still nursing our 17 month old and would love to continue. Hearing a lot about how women's milk changed/dries up about 1/2 way through the pregnancy. Anything I can do to try to prevent this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM

Your milk will change but it doesn't have to dry up. If you keep nursing you will keep having milk. Some women have sensitive nipples and they cut back or stop nursing and that's why their milk "drys up."

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Some women stop producing milk regardless of nursing around the clock. There are different hormones that drive milk production and then ones that sustain a pg, obviously while you are pg, those hormones win over milk producing ones. Some women continue producing milk, others do not. There is nothing that can prevent it, you will either be one that maintains a milk supply or you won't. Most women will have a decrease in supply though.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Keep nursing.. drink plenty of fluids, eat well, relax, moisturize your nipples..
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post
Your milk will change but it doesn't have to dry up. If you keep nursing you will keep having milk. Some women have sensitive nipples and they cut back or stop nursing and that's why their milk "drys up."
I have a 19 month old and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. She nurses about 10+ times a day and night, at least, and I didn't stop her even though it literally left me crying in pain sometimes, and it still dried up a few weeks ago. I imagine she sensed my pain, but I absolutely didn't cut back at all. In fact she still nurses approximately the same amount, and definitely still as much as night. There just isn't anything coming out There isn't much control I have over my hormones...
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post
Sorry but, not true. Your milk will either dry up, or it won't. I continued to nurse my DS and my milk dried up.. There was still a few drops in there but that was about it. It happened around the 2nd month or so.

But, he is still nursing a couple times a day and I'm starting to make colostrum.. I suspect he will start nursing more once baby is here and I have a full supply again.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM

I agree that there's probably nothing you can do. My milk dried up almost immediately, around 6 or 8 weeks I think, even with my 35mo still nursing multiple times a day.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM

I had no luck, sadly, DS weaned himself with 9 months. Luckily I had a decent stash that lasted till' he turned 1.
Dried up in my 2nd. month. And I pumped as much as I could to prevent that- nothing. Later on it became extremely painful, very sensitive, so I stopped pumping as well- the view cc's I would get.
Good luck!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM

i dont think that there is anything you can do really. some people do... and some people dont.

I did unfortunately. I second the suggestions of nursing to try and prevent it but it might just happen regardless of what you do.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

User Tag List